- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Dentistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 453415, 4 pages
Pathophysiology of Barodontalgia: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
1Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hanover Medical School, Carl-Neuberg-Straße 1, 30625 Hanover, Germany
2Munster Military Medical Center, Munster, Germany
3Department of Preventive Dentistry, Periodontology and Cariology, University of Goettingen Medical Centre, Goettingen, Germany
Received 4 September 2012; Accepted 13 November 2012
Academic Editors: M. Darling, C. Farah, A. Kasaj, L. N. De. Souza, and P. I. Varela-Centelles
Copyright © 2012 Marcus Stoetzer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Y. Zadik, “Barodontalgia,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 481–485, 2009.
- E. Ferjentsik and F. Aker, “Barodontalgia: a system of classification,” Military Medicine, vol. 147, no. 4, pp. 299–304, 1982.
- M. Hamilton-Farrell and A. Bhattacharyya, “Barotrauma,” Injury, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 359–370, 2004.
- J. Kieser, “Sinus barotrauma presenting as acute dental pain,” South African Medical Journal, vol. 87, no. 2, p. 184, 1997.
- J. Kressin, “Aviation medicine problems in otorhinolaryngology,” Zeitschrift Fur Arztliche Fortbildung Und Qualitatssicherung, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 509–512, 1999.
- W. Kollmann, “Incidence and possible causes of dental pain during simulated high altitude flights,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 154–159, 1993.
- Y. Zadik, L. Chapnik, and L. Goldstein, “In-flight barodontalgia: analysis of 29 cases in military aircrew,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 593–596, 2007.
- R. E. Holowatyj, “Barodontalgia among flyers: a review of seven cases,” Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 578–584, 1996.
- D. M. Taylor, K. S. O'Toole, and C. M. Ryan, “Experienced scuba divers in Australia and the United States suffer considerable injury and morbidity,” Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 83–88, 2003.
- M. Del Mar González Santiago, A. Martinez-Sahuquillo Marquez, and P. Bullón Fernández, “Incidence of barodontalgias and their relation to oral/dental condition in personnel with responsibility in military flight,” Medicina Oral, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 92–105, 2004.
- W. H. G. Goethe, H. Bater, and C. Laban, “Barodontalgia and barotrauma in the human teeth: findings in navy divers, frogmen, and submariners of the Federal Republic of Germany,” Military Medicine, vol. 154, no. 10, pp. 491–495, 1989.
- Y. Zadik, “Aviation dentistry: current concepts and practice,” British Dental Journal, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2009.
- O. G. Carlson, B. A. Halverson, and R. G. Triplett, “Dentin permeability under hyperbaric conditions as a possible cause of barodontalgia,” Undersea Biomedical Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 23–28, 1983.
- Y. Zadik, “Barodontalgia due to odontogenic inflammation in the jawbone,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 77, no. 8, pp. 864–866, 2006.
- Y. Zadik, S. Einy, R. Pokroy, Y. B. Dayan, and L. Goldstein, “Dental fractures on acute exposure to high altitude,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 654–657, 2006.
- M. Gunepin, F. Derache, and T. Audoual, “Fracture of a sound tooth in a pilot under hypobaric conditions,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 691–693, 2010.
- I. M. Calder and J. D. Ramsey, “Ondontecrexis-the effects of rapid decompression on restored teeth,” Journal of Dentistry, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 318–323, 1983.
- K. Woodmansey, “Class II barodontalgia: review and report of a case,” General Dentistry, vol. 56, no. 7, pp. e39–e42, 2008.
- Y. Zadik, “Barodontalgia: what have we learned in the past decade?” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. e65–e69, 2010.