- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Dentistry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 525364, 6 pages
Cracked Tooth: A Report of Two Cases and Role of Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Diagnosis
1Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Penang International Dental College, Level 18-21, NB Tower,
5050 Jalan Bagan Luar, 12000 Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia
2Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, Penang International Dental College, 12000 Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia
3Department of Oral Pathology, Penang International Dental College, 12000 Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia
Received 12 August 2012; Accepted 11 October 2012
Academic Editors: S. S. De Rossi, L. Junquera, and P. Lopez Jornet
Copyright © 2012 Pishipati Vinayak Kalyan Chakravarthy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. E. Walton, “Longitudinal tooth fractures,” in Torabinejad M. Principles and Practice of Endodontics, R. E. Walton, Ed., pp. 499–519, WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 3rd edition, 1995.
- E. M. Rivera and A. Williamson, “Diagnosis and treatment planning: cracked tooth,” Texas dental journal, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 278–283, 2003.
- E. M. Rivera and R. E. Walton, “Cracking the cracked tooth code: detection and treatment of various longitudinal tooth fractures,” American Association of Endodontists Colleagues for Excellence, Newsletter, Summer 2008.
- J. D. Bader, J. A. Martin, and D. A. Shugars, “Preliminary estimates of the incidence and consequences of tooth fracture,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 126, no. 12, pp. 1650–1654, 1995.
- A. Schetritt and B. Steffensen, “Diagnosis and management of vertical root fractures,” Journal of Canadian Dental Association, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 607–613, 1995.
- A. Tamse, I. Zilburg, and J. Halpern, “Vertical root fractures in adjacent maxillary premolars: an endodontic-prosthetic perplexity,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 1998.
- E. M. Rivera and R. E. Walton, “Longitudinal tooth fractures: findings that contribute to complex endodontic diagnoses,” Endodontic Topics, vol. 16, pp. 82–111, 2007.
- M. Abou-Rass, “Crack lines: the precursors of tooth fractures—their diagnosis and treatment,” Quintessence International, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 437–447, 1983.
- E. H. Ehrmann and M. J. Tyas, “Cracked tooth syndrome: diagnosis, treatment and correlation between symptoms and post-extraction findings,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 1990.
- M. K. Nair, U. D. P. Nair, H. G. Gröndahl, R. L. Webber, and J. A. Wallace, “Detection of artificially induced vertical radicular fractures using Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography,” European Journal of Oral Sciences, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 375–379, 2001.
- A. N. Van Daatselaar, S. M. Dunn, H. J. W. Spoelder et al., “Feasibility of local CT of dental tissues,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2003.
- F. S. Weine and J. A. Dewberry, “Cracked-tooth syndrome: vertical fractures of posterior teeth,” in Endodontic Therapy, F. S. Weine, Ed., pp. 8–15, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 3rd edition, 1982.
- W. S. Eakle, E. H. Maxwell, and B. V. Braly, “Fractures of posterior teeth in adults,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 215–218, 1986.
- C. E. Cameron, “The cracked tooth syndrome: additional findings,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 971–975, 1976.
- W. S. Brown, H. R. Jacobs, and R. E. Thompson, “Thermal fatigue in teeth,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 461–467, 1972.
- W. S. Eakle, “Effect of thermal cycling on fracture strength and microleakage in teeth restored with a bonded composite resin,” Dental Materials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 114–117, 1986.
- J. P. Standlee, E. W. Collard, and A. A. Caputo, “Dentinal defects caused by some twist drills and retentive pins,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 185–192, 1970.
- A. Brynjulfsen, I. Fristad, T. Grevstad, and I. Hals-Kvinnsland, “Incompletely fractured teeth associated with diffuse longstanding orofacial pain: diagnosis and treatment outcome,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 461–466, 2002.
- L. Tan, N. N. Chen, C. Y. Poon, and H. B. Wong, “Survival of root filled cracked teeth in a tertiary institution,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 886–889, 2006.
- M. A. Mora, A. Mol, D. A. Tyndall, and E. M. Rivera, “In vitro assessment of local computed tomography for the detection of longitudinal tooth fractures,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 103, no. 6, pp. 825–829, 2007.
- “AAE and AAOMR joint position statement. Use of cone-beam-computed tomography in endodontics,” Pennsylvania Dental Journal, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 37–39, 2011.
- S. Valizadeh, M. Khosravi, and Z. Azizi, “Diagnostic accuracy of conventional, digital andCone Beam CT in vertical root fracture detection,” Iranian Endodontic Journal, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 15–20, 2011.
- K. V. Krell and E. M. Rivera, “A six year evaluation of cracked teeth diagnosed with reversible pulpitis: treatment and prognosis,” Journal of Endodontics, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1405–1407, 2007.
- J. C. Türp and J. P. Gobetti, “The cracked tooth syndrome: an elusive diagnosis,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 127, no. 10, pp. 1502–1507, 1996.
- E. S. Pane, J. E. A. Palamara, and H. H. Messer, “Stainless steel bands in endodontics: effects on cuspal flexure and fracture resistance,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 467–471, 2002.
- P. O. Zimet and C. Endo, “Preservation of the roots—management and prevention protocols for cracked tooth syndrome,” Annals of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons, vol. 15, pp. 319–324, 2000.