- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 154025, 3 pages
Fournier's Gangrene due to Masturbation in an Otherwise Healthy Male
1Department of Emergency Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX 78234, USA
2Department of Emergency Medicine, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
Received 18 February 2012; Accepted 22 March 2012
Academic Editors: H. David, A. K. Exadaktylos, K. Imanaka, W. Mauritz, and F. Natale
Copyright © 2012 Jason D. Heiner et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Erol, A. Tuncel, V. Hanci et al., “Fournier's gangrene: overview of prognostic factors and definition of new prognostic parameter,” Urology, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 1193–1198, 2010.
- E. Morpurgo and S. Galandiuk, “Fournier's gangrene,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 82, no. 6, pp. 1213–1224, 2002.
- N. Eke, “Fournier's gangrene: a review of 1726 cases,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 718–728, 2000.
- M. D. Clayton, J. E. Fowler Jr., R. Sharifi, and R. K. Pearl, “Causes, presentation and survival of fifty-seven patients with necrotizing fasciitis of the male genitalia,” Surgery Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 49–55, 1990.
- J. M. Enriquez, S. Moreno, M. Devesa, et al., “Fournier's syndrome of urogenital and anorectal origin. A retrospective, comparative study,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 1987.
- J. A. Fournier, “Jean-Alfred Fournier 1832-1914. Gangrène foudroyante de la verge (overwhelming gangrene). Sem Med 1883,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 984–988, 1988.
- S. R. Mindrup, G. P. Kealey, and B. Fallon, “Hyperbaric oxygen for the treatment of Fournier's gangrene,” Journal of Urology, vol. 173, no. 6, pp. 1975–1977, 2005.
- M. Capelli-Schellpfeffer and G. S. Gerber, “The use of hyperbaric oxygen in urology,” Journal of Urology, vol. 162, no. 3 I, pp. 647–654, 1999.
- M. J. Cawley, M. Briggs, L. R. Haith Jr. et al., “Intravenous immunoglobulin as adjunctive treatment for streptococcal toxic shock syndrome associated with necrotizing fasciitis: case report and review,” Pharmacotherapy, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1094–1098, 1999.
- V. B. Mouraviev, S. E. Pautler, and W. P. Hayman, “Fournier's gangrene following penile self-injection with cocaine,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 317–318, 2002.
- P. Thomas, A. Boussuges, M. Gainnier, et al., “Fat embolism after intrapenile injection of sweet almond oil,” Revue des Maladies Respiratoires, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 307–308, 1998.
- G. W. Grumet, “Pathologic masturbation with drastic consequences: case report,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 537–539, 1985.
- I. Singh, M. K. Joshi, and M. S. Jaura, “Strangulation of penis by a ball bearing device,” Journal of Sexual Medicine, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 3793–3797, 2010.
- T. A. Voegeli and P. J. Effert, “Pentaethylene-terephthalate (PET) bottles: a new device for autoerotic strangulation of the penis causing serious injury,” Archives of Sexual Behavior, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 469–470, 2005.
- F. G. E. Perabo, G. Steiner, P. Albers, and S. C. Müller, “Treatment of penile strangulation caused by constricting devices,” Urology, vol. 59, no. 1, article 137, 2002.
- M. B. Detweiler, “Penile incarceration with metal objects—a review of procedure choice based on penile trauma grade,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 212–217, 2001.