- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 679121, 3 pages
Ovarian Torsion in a 5-Year Old: A Case Report and Review
Department of Emergency Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, P.O. Box 100186, Gainesville, FL 32610-0186, USA
Received 5 March 2012; Accepted 22 April 2012
Academic Editors: V. Papadopoulos and M. Sand
Copyright © 2012 Matthew F. Ryan and Bobby K. Desai. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. L. Breech and P. J. A. Hillard, “Adnexal torsion in pediatric and adolescent girls,” Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 483–489, 2005.
- D. Aziz, V. Davis, L. Allen, and J. C. Langer, “Ovarian torsion in children: is oophorectomy necessary?” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 750–753, 2004.
- B. A. Hoey, S. P. Stawicki, W. S. Hoff, R. K. Veeramasuneni, H. Kovich, and M. D. Grossman, “Ovarian torsion associated with appendicitis in a 5-year-old girl: a case report and review of the literature,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. E17–E20, 2005.
- L. T. Hibbard, “Adnexal torsion,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 456–461, 1985.
- A. J. Pomeranz and S. Sabnis, “Misdiagnoses of ovarian masses in children and adolescents,” Pediatric Emergency Care, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 172–174, 2004.
- P. A. Argenta, T. J. Yeagley, G. Ott, and S. J. Sondheimer, “Torsion of the uterine adnexa: pathologic correlations and current management trends,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 831–836, 2000.
- P. Bagolan, C. Giorlandino, A. Nahom et al., “The management of fetal ovarian cysts,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2002.
- L. F. Orsini, S. Salardi, and G. Pilu, “Pelvic organs in premenarcheal girls: real-time ultrasonography,” Radiology, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 113–116, 1984.
- S. Salardi, L. F. Orsini, and E. Cacciari, “Pelvic ultrasonography in premenarcheal girls: relation to puberty and sex hormone concentrations,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 120–125, 1985.
- H. L. Cohen, P. Eisenberg, F. Mandel, and J. O. Haller, “Ovarian cysts are common in premenarchal girls: a sonographic study of 101 children 2–12 years old,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 89–91, 1992.
- F. Albayram and U. M. Hamper, “Ovarian and adnexal torsion: spectrum of sonographic findings with pathologic correlation,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1083–1089, 2001.
- D. H. Nichols and D. J. Julina, “Torsion of the adnexa,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 375–380, 1985.
- A. Çelik, O. Ergün, H. Aldemir et al., “Long-term results of conservative management of adnexal torsion in children,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 704–708, 2005.
- B. W. Warner, J. C. Kuhn, L. L. Barr, J. L. Grosfeld, R. A. Amoury, and M. W. L. Gauderer, “Conservative management of large ovarian cysts in children: the value of serial pelvic ultrasonography,” Surgery, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 749–755, 1992.
- L. Garel, J. Dubais, A. Grignon, D. Filiatrault, and G. Van Vliet, “US of the pediatric female pelvis: a clinical perspective,” Radiographics, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 1393–1407, 2001.
- S. B. Vijayaraghavan, “Sonographic whirlpool sign in ovarian torsion,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1643–1649, 2004.
- A. M. Gittleman, A. P. Price, L. Goffner, and D. S. Katz, “Ovarian torsion: CT findings in a child,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1270–1272, 2004.
- E. R. Kokoska, M. S. Keller, and T. R. Weber, “Acute ovarian torsion in children,” American Journal of Surgery, vol. 180, no. 6, pp. 462–465, 2000.
- J. Mordehai, A. J. Mares, Y. Barki, R. Finaly, and I. Meizner, “Torsion of uterine adnexa in neonates and children: a report of 20 cases,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1195–1199, 1991.
- J. F. Anders and E. C. Powell, “Urgency of evaluation and outcome of acute ovarian torsion in pediatric patients,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 159, no. 6, pp. 532–535, 2005.
- S. E. Dolgin, M. Lublin, and E. Shlasko, “Maximizing ovarian salvage when treating idiopathic adnexal torsion,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 624–626, 2000.
- M. Abeş and H. Sarihan, “Oophoropexy in children with ovarian torsion,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 168–171, 2004.