Case Reports in Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 202708, 4 pages
Monoballism Associated with Newly Onset Ketotic Hyperglycemia
1Department of Internal Medicine, University of Katip Celebi and Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Basın Sitesi, Izmir 35360, Turkey
2Department of Neurology, University of Katip Celebi and Ataturk Research and Training Hospital, Basın Sitesi, Izmir 35360, Turkey
Received 19 November 2012; Accepted 16 December 2012
Academic Editors: J. P. Frindik, H. Hattori, M. P. Kane, and L. Mastrandrea
Copyright © 2012 Dilek Ersil Soysal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Ifergane, R. Masalha, and Y. O. Herishanu, “Transient hemichorea/hemiballismus associated with new onset hyperglycemia,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 365–368, 2001.
- J. E. Ahlskog, H. Nishino, V. G. H. Evidente et al., “Persistent chorea triggered by hyperglycemic crisis in diabetics,” Movement Disorders, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 890–898, 2001.
- B. Barton, S. E. Zauber, and C. G. Goetz, “Movement disorders caused by medical disease,” Seminars in Neurology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 97–110, 2009.
- C. M. Mihai, D. Catrinoiu, and R. M. Stoicescu, “Atypical onset of diabetes in a teenage girl: a case report,” Cases Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, p. 425, 2008.
- J.-J. Lin and M.-K. Chang, “Hemiballism—hemichorea and non-ketotic hyperglycaemia,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 748–750, 1994.
- C. V. Chang, A. C. Felicio, C. O. Godeiro Jr. et al., “Chorea-ballism as a manifestation of decompensated type 2 diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of the Medical Sciences, vol. 333, no. 3, pp. 175–177, 2007.
- C. Grant and C. Warlow, “Focal epilepsy in diabetic non-ketotic hyperglycaemia,” British Medical Journal, vol. 290, no. 6476, pp. 1204–1205, 1985.
- P.-H. Lai, R. D. Tien, M.-H. Chang et al., “Chorea-ballismus with nonketotic hyperglycemia in primary diabetes mellitus,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1057–1064, 1996.
- D. Awasthi, A. K. Tiwari, A. Upadhyaya, B. Singh, and G. S. Tomar, “Ketotic hyperglycemia with movement disorder,” Journal of Emergencies, Trauma and Shock, vol. 5, pp. 90–91, 2012, http://www.onlinejets.org/text.asp?2012/5/1/90/93095.
- Y. Yetimalar, M. Seçkin, Y. Seçil, and M. Başoǧlu, “Lamotrigine-induced bilateral ballism,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 1832–1833, 2007.
- A. P. Duker and A. J. Espay, “Hemichorea—hemiballism after diabetic ketoacidosis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 363, no. 17, p. e27, 2010.