- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Endocrinology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 231912, 5 pages
Durable Effect of Radioactive Iodine in a Patient with Metastatic Follicular Thyroid Carcinoma
1Division Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza Mail Stop 185, Houston, TX 77030, USA
2Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Unit 1461, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1400 Pressler, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Received 18 June 2012; Accepted 16 August 2012
Academic Editors: H. Hattori, N. Islam, and O. Isozaki
Copyright © 2012 Aubrey A. Carhill and Rena Vassilopoulou-Sellin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Cancer Facts and Figures, 2012.
- A. Y. Chen, A. Jemal, and E. M. Ward, “Increasing incidence of differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States, 1988–2005,” Cancer, vol. 115, no. 16, pp. 3801–3807, 2009.
- M. L. Brandi, F. Giusti, A. Falchetti, F. Franceschelli, F. Marini, and A. Tanini, “Thyroid cancer: current molecular perspectives,” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2010, Article ID 351679, 17 pages, 2010.
- D. S. McLeod, “Current concepts and future directions in differentiated thyroid cancer,” Clinical Biochemistry Review, vol. 31, pp. 9–19, 2010.
- S. I. Sherman, “Thyroid carcinoma,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9356, pp. 501–511, 2003.
- E. L. Mazzaferri and S. M. Jhiang, “Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid cancer,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 418–428, 1994.
- M. Schlumberger, C. Challeton, F. De Vathaire et al., “Radioactive iodine treatment and external radiotherapy for lung and bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 37, no. 4–6, pp. 598–605, 1996.
- A. G. Pittas, M. Adler, M. Fazzari et al., “Bone metastases from thyroid carcinoma: clinical characteristics and prognostic variables in one hundred forty-six patients,” Thyroid, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 261–268, 2000.
- J. Hoie, A. E. Stenwig, G. Kullmann, and M. Lindegaard, “Distant metastases in papillary thyroid cancer: a review of 91 patients,” Cancer, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 1–6, 1988.
- J. K. Fanchiang, J. D. Lin, M. J. Huang, and H. N. Shih, “Papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas with bone metastases: a series of 39 cases during a period of 18 years,” Changgeng Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 377–382, 1998.
- C. Marcocci, F. Pacini, R. Elisei et al., “Clinical and biologic behavior of bone metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Surgery, vol. 106, no. 6, pp. 960–966, 1989.
- F. Pacini, M. Schlumberger, H. Dralle, et al., “European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 154, pp. 787–803, 2006.
- C. Durante, N. Haddy, E. Baudin et al., “Long-term outcome of 444 patients with distant metastases from papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma: benefits and limits of radioiodine therapy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 2892–2899, 2006.
- J. A. Wexler, “Approach to the thyroid cancer patient with bone metastases,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 96, no. 8, pp. 2296–2307, 2011.
- T. Petrich, A. Widjaja, T. J. Musholt et al., “Outcome after radioiodine therapy in 107 patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma and initial bone metastases: side-effects and influence of age,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 203–208, 2001.
- R. W. Tsang, J. D. Brierley, W. J. Simpson, et al., “The effects of surgery, radioiodine, and external radiation therapy on the clinical outcome of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 82, pp. 375–388, 1998.
- K. C. Loh, F. S. Greenspan, L. Gee, T. R. Miller, and P. P. B. Yeo, “Pathological tumor-node-metastasis (pTNM) staging for papillary and follicular thyroid carcinomas: a retrospective analysis of 700 patients,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 3553–3562, 1997.
- D. M. V. Pelikan, H. L. Lion, J. Hermans, and B. M. Goslings, “The role of radioactive iodine in the treatment of advanced differentiated thyroid carcinoma,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 713–720, 1997.
- R. Vassilopoulousellin and E. Delpassand, “Follicular thyroid cancer: clinical outcome and impact of radioiodine therapy in patients with distant metastases,” International Journal of Oncology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 969–976, 1996.
- M. E. Cabanillas, S. G. Waguespack, Y. Bronstein et al., “Treatment with tyrosine kinase inhibitors for patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: the M. D. Anderson experience,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 95, no. 6, pp. 2588–2595, 2010.