- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Infectious Diseases
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 839458, 4 pages
Two Case Reports of Neuroinvasive West Nile Virus Infection in the Critical Care Unit
1Internal Medicine Department, Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, CFP1, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
2Infectious Diseases Division, Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, CFP 304, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
3Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University School of Medicine, 2799 West Grand Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Received 1 June 2012; Accepted 31 July 2012
Academic Editors: M. Ghate, P. Horrocks, S. Talhari, and G. Walder
Copyright © 2012 Edgardo M. Flores Anticona et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. A. Brinton, “The molecular biology of West Nile virus: a new invader of the Western hemisphere,” Annual Review of Microbiology, vol. 56, pp. 371–402, 2002.
- V. P. Bondre, R. S. Jadi, A. C. Mishra, P. N. Yergolkar, and V. A. Arankalle, “West Nile virus isolates from India: evidence for a distinct genetic lineage,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 875–884, 2007.
- S. L. Rossi, T. M. Ross, M. D. Evan, et al., “West nile virus,” Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 47–65, 2010.
- K. A. Gyure, “West nile virus infections,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1053–1060, 2009.
- E. B. Hayes, N. Komar, R. S. Nasci, S. P. Montgomery, D. R. O'Leary, and G. L. Campbell, “Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of West Nile virus disease,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1167–1173, 2005.
- J. T. Watson, P. E. Pertel, R. C. Jones et al., “Clinical characteristics and functional outcomes of West Nile fever,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 141, no. 5, pp. 360–365, 2004.
- R. L. DeBiasi, “West nile virus neuroinvasive disease,” Current Infectious Disease Reports, vol. 13, pp. 350–359, 2011.
- J. J. Sejvar and A. A. Marfin, “Manifestations of West Nile neuroinvasive disease,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 209–224, 2006.
- C. D. Paddock, W. L. Nicholson, J. Bhatnagar et al., “Fatal hemorrhagic fever caused by West Nile virus in the United States,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 1527–1535, 2006.
- D. S. Asnis, R. Conetta, A. A. Teixeira, et al., “The West Nile virus outbreak of 1999 in New York: the Flushing Hospital experience,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 413–418, 2000.
- R. D. Smith, S. Konoplev, G. DeCourten-Myers, and T. Brown, “West Nile virus encephalitis with myositis and orchitis,” Human Pathology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 254–258, 2004.
- K. Smithburn, T. Hughes, A. Burke, et al., “A neurotropic virus isolated from the blood of a native of Uganda,” The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 20, pp. 471–492, 1940.
- T. F. Tsai, F. Popovici, C. Cernescu, G. L. Campbell, and N. I. Nedelcu, “West Nile encephalitis epidemic in southeastern Romania,” The Lancet, vol. 352, no. 9130, pp. 767–771, 1998.
- CDC, “Outbreak of West Nile-like viral encephalitis—New York, 1999,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 48, no. 38, pp. 890–892, 1999.
- R. S. Lanciotti, J. T. Roehrig, V. Deubel et al., “Origin of the West Nile virus responsible for an outbreak of encephalitis in the Northeastern United States,” Science, vol. 286, no. 5448, pp. 2333–2337, 1999.
- D. Nash, F. Mostashari, A. Fine et al., “The outbreak of West Nile virus infection in the New York City area in 1999,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 24, pp. 1807–1814, 2001.
- J. T. Roehrig, D. Nash, B. Maldin et al., “Persistence of virus-reactive serum immunoglobulin M antibody in confirmed West Nile virus encephalitis cases,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 376–379, 2003.
- L. E. Davis, R. DeBiasi, D. E. Goade et al., “West nile virus neuroinvasive disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 286–300, 2006.
- K. L. Tyler, “West Nile virus infection in the United States,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 1190–1195, 2004.
- E. B. Hayes, J. J. Sejvar, S. R. Zaki, R. S. Lanciotti, A. V. Bode, and G. L. Campbell, “Virology, pathology, and clinical manifestations of West Nile virus disease,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 1174–1179, 2005.
- L. R. Petersen, A. A. Marfin, and D. J. Gubler, “West Nile virus,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 4, pp. 524–528, 2003.
- E. Fan, D. M. Needham, J. Brunton, R. Z. Kern, and T. E. Stewart, “West Nile virus infection in the intensive care unit: a case series and literature review,” Canadian Respiratory Journal, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 354–358, 2004.
- R. S. Lanciotti and A. J. Kerst, “Nucleic acid sequence-based amplification assays for rapid detection of West Nile and St. Louis encephalitis viruses,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 4506–4513, 2001.
- K. L. Tyler, J. Pape, R. J. Goody, M. Corkill, and B. K. Kleinschmidt-DeMasters, “CSF findings in 250 patients with serologically confirmed West Nile virus meningitis and encephalitis,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 361–365, 2006.
- R. Brilla, M. Block, G. Geremia, and M. Wichter, “Clinical and neuroradiologic features of 39 consecutive cases of West Nile Virus meningoencephalitis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 220, no. 1-2, pp. 37–40, 2004.
- M. Ali, Y. Safriel, J. Sohi, A. Llave, and S. Weathers, “West Nile virus infection: MR imaging findings in the nervous system,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 289–297, 2005.
- K. A. Petropoulou, S. M. Gordon, R. A. Prayson, and P. M. Ruggierri, “West Nile virus meningoencephalitis: MR imaging findings,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1986–1995, 2005.
- J. F. Anderson and J. J. Rahal, “Efficacy of interferon alpha-2b and ribavirin against West Nile virus in vitro,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 107–108, 2002.
- D. Ben-Nathan, S. Lustig, G. Tam, S. Robinzon, S. Segal, and B. Rager-Zisman, “Prophylactic and therapeutic efficacy of human intravenous immunoglobulin in treating West Nile virus infection in mice,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 188, no. 1, pp. 5–12, 2003.
- D. Ben-Nathan, O. Gershoni-Yahalom, I. Samina et al., “Using high titer West Nile intravenous immunoglobulin from selected Israeli donors for treatment of West Nile virus infection,” BMC Infectious Diseases, vol. 9, article 18, 2009.