- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 894913, 3 pages
The Diagnosis of Vertebrobasilar Insufficiency Using Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound
1Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2B7, Canada
2Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, King Khalid University, P.O. Box 641, Abha, Saudi Arabia
3Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2B7, Canada
Received 9 August 2012; Revised 17 October 2012; Accepted 18 October 2012
Academic Editor: Bruno Megarbane
Copyright © 2012 Ibrahim Alnaami et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. W. Fox, D. G. Piepgras, and J. D. Bartleson, “Anterolateral decompression of the atlantoaxial vertebral artery for symptomatic positional occlusion of the vertebral artery: case report,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 737–740, 1995.
- G. M. De Marchis, A. Kohler, N. Renz et al., “Posterior versus anterior circulation strokes: comparison of clinical, radiological and outcome characteristics,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 33–37, 2011.
- J. I. Schneider and J. S. Olshaker, “Vertigo, vertebrobasilar disease, and posterior circulation ischemic stroke,” Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 681–693, 2012.
- L. N. Hopkins, N. A. Martin, M. N. Hadley, R. F. Spetzler, J. Budny, and L. P. Carter, “Vertebrobasilar insufficiency—part 2: microsurgical treatment of intracranial vertebrobasilar disease,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 662–674, 1987.
- G. E. Vates, K. C. Wang, D. Bonovich, C. F. Dowd, and M. T. Lawton, “Bow hunter stroke caused by cervical disc herniation: case report,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 96, supplement 1, pp. 90–93, 2002.
- F. C. Albuquerque, Y. C. Hu, S. R. Dashti, et al., “Craniocervical arterial dissections as sequelae of chiropractic manipulation: patterns of injury and management,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 115, no. 6, pp. 1197–1205, 2011.
- A. Doss and C. C. Phatouros, “Vertebrobasilar insufficiency,” Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 111–119, 2006.
- V. Otto, B. Fischer, M. Schwarz, W. Baumann, and R. Preibisch-Effenberger, “Treatment of vertebrobasilar insufficiency-associated vertigo with a fixed combination of cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate,” International Tinnitus Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 57–67, 2008.
- T. Nakagawa, T. Shigeta, T. Takashima, and K. Tomiyama, “Magnetic resonance angiography evaluation of basilar artery stenosis in patients with vertebrobasilar insufficiency,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 257, no. 8, pp. 409–411, 2000.
- D. Agrawal, N. K. Gowda, C. S. Bal, S. S. Kale, and A. K. Mahapatra, “Have cranio-vertebral junction anomalies been overlooked as a cause of vertebro-basilar insufficiency?” Spine, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 846–850, 2006.
- G. B. Frisoni and G. P. Anzola, “Vertebrobasilar ischemia after neck motion,” Stroke, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 1452–1460, 1991.
- J. Hanakita, H. Miyake, S. Nagayasu, S. Nishi, and T. Suzuki, “Angiographic examination and surgical treatment of bow hunter's stroke,” Neurosurgery, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 228–232, 1988.
- J. Martí-Fàbregas, A. M. Catafau, C. Marí et al., “Cerebral perfusion and haemodynamics measured by SPET in symptom-free patients with transient ischaemic attack: clinical implications,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 1828–1835, 2001.
- B. Cagnie, E. Barbaix, E. Vinck, K. D'Herde, and D. Cambier, “Atherosclerosis in the vertebral artery: an intrinsic risk factor in the use of spinal manipulation?” Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 129–134, 2006.
- P. A. Schneider, M. E. Rossman, E. F. Bernstein, E. B. Ringelstein, S. Torem, and S. M. Otis, “Noninvasive evaluation of vertebrobasilar insufficiency,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 373–379, 1991.
- L. M. Cher, B. R. Chambers, and V. Smidt, “Comparison of transcranial Doppler with DSA in vertebrobasilar ischaemia,” Clinical and Experimental Neurology, vol. 29, pp. 143–148, 1992.