- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 904729, 9 pages
Optical, Spectroscopic, and Doppler Evaluation of “Normal” and “Abnormal” Reflexology Areas in Lumbar Vertebral Pathology: A Case Study
1Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansarinagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
2School of Medical Science and Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, West Bengal, Kharagpur 721 302, India
3Chilakapati Laboratory, ACTREC, Tata Memorial Center, Kharghar, Navi Mumbai 410210, India
Received 5 June 2012; Revised 14 November 2012; Accepted 14 November 2012
Academic Editor: Arduino A. Mangoni
Copyright © 2012 Krishna Dalal et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Mao-liang, Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Elsevier Health Sciences, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1993.
- C. Beresford-Cooke, Shiatsu Theory and Practice: A Comprehensive Text for the Student and Professional, Elsevier Health Sciences, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2003.
- M. Gregor, Ashtanga Yoga, Practice and Philosophy, New World Library, Novato, Calif, USA, 2007.
- D. Tiran and H. Chummun, “The physiological basis of reflexology and its use as a potential diagnostic tool,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 58–64, 2005.
- C. M. Hughes, S. Smyth, and A. S. Lowe-Strong, “Reflexology for the treatment of pain in people with multiple sclerosis: a double-blind randomised sham-controlled clinical trial,” Multiple Sclerosis, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1329–1338, 2009.
- T. J. Gunnarsdottir and C. Peden-McAlpine, “Effects of reflexology on fibromyalgia symptoms: a multiple case study,” Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 167–172, 2010.
- Y. M. Lee, “Effects of self-foot reflexology on stress, fatigue, skin temperature and immune response in female undergraduate students,” Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 110–118, 2011.
- Y. Zhao, Z. Chen, C. Saxer, S. Xiang, J. F. de Boer, and J. S. Nelson, “Phase-resolved optical coherence tomography and optical Doppler tomography for imaging blood flow in human skin with fast scanning speed and high velocity sensitivity,” Optics Letters, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 114–116, 2000.
- V. V. Tuchin, Handbook of Optical Biomedical Diagnostics, SPIE Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2002.
- P. S. Mackereth and D. Tiran, Clinical Reflexology: A Guide for Health Professionals, Elsevier Health Sciences, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2002.
- K. Louise, The Reflexology Bible, the Definitive Guide to Pressure Point Healing, Sterling Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- E. Ernst, P. Posadzki, and M. S. Lee, “Reflexology: an update of a systematic review of randomised clinical trials,” Maturitas, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 116–120, 2011.
- M. A. Galle, S. S. Saini, W. S. Mohammed, et al., “Chromatic dispersion measurements using a virtually referenced interferometer,” Optics Letter, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1598–1600, 2012.
- B. F. Jones, “A reappraisal of the use of infrared thermal image analysis in medicine,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1019–1027, 1998.
- M. F. Schilling, A. E. Watkins, and W. Watkins, “Is human height bimodal?” American Statistician, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 223–229, 2002.
- C. T. Minson, “Thermal provocation to evaluate microvascular reactivity in human skin,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 1239–1246, 2010.
- A. Carreau, B. E. Hafny-Rahbi, A. Matejuk, C. Grillon, and C. Kieda, “Why is the partial oxygen pressure of human tissues a crucial parameter? Small molecules and hypoxia,” Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1239–1253, 2011.
- J. M. Isner, A. Pieczek, R. Schainfeld et al., “Clinical evidence of angiogenesis after arterial gene transfer of phVEGF165 in patient with ischaemic limb,” The Lancet, vol. 348, no. 9024, pp. 370–374, 1996.
- S. B. Wilson, P. E. Jennings, and J. J. F. Belch, “Detection of microvascular impairment in type I diabetics by laser Doppler flowmetry,” Clinical Physiology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 195–208, 1992.
- C. V. Raman and K. S. Krishnan, “A new type of secondary radiation,” Nature, vol. 121, no. 3048, pp. 501–502, 1928.
- Z. Huang, H. Lui, X. K. Chen, A . Alajlan, D. I. McLean, and H. Zeng, “Raman spectroscopy of in vivo cutaneous melanin,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1198–1205, 2004.
- S. Jones, Simply Reflexology, Sterling Publishing Company, New York, NY, USA, 2009.
- W. Last, “Reflexology,” http://www.health-science-spirit.com/reflexology.html.
- D. C. Byers, Better Health with Foot Reflexology, Ingham Publishing, St Petersburg, Fla, USA, 1987.
- N. Sahni, L. K. Anand, K. Gombar, et al., “Effect of intra-operative depth of anesthesia on postoperative pain and analgesic requirement: a randomized prospective observer blinded study,” Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 500–505, 2011.
- P. Shi, S. Hu, Y. Zhut, J. Zheng, Y. Qiu, and P. Y. S. Cheang, “Insight into the dicrotic notch in photoplethysmographic pulses from the finger tip of young adults,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 628–633, 2009.
- I. P. Bahl, Listen to Your Feet, Hind Pocket Books, New Delhi, India, 2005.
- N. T. Filippin, T. D. A. Bacarin, and P. H. L. da Costa, “Comparison of static footprints and pedobarography in obese and non-obese children,” Foot and Ankle International, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1141–1144, 2008.
- A. Barui, P. Banerjee, R. Patra et al., “Swept-source optical coherence tomography of lower limb wound healing with histopathological correlation,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 16, no. 2, Article ID 026010, 2011.
- C. J. Wang, R. W. Wu, and Y. J. Yang, “Treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: a comparative study of extracorporeal shockwave therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 2011.
- A. D. Ghanate, S. Kothiwale, S. P. Singh, D. Bertrand, and C. M. Krishna, “Comparative evaluation of spectroscopic models using different multivariate statistical tools in a multicancer scenario,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 16, no. 2, Article ID 025003, 2011.
- V. Pupovac and M. Petrovecki, “Summarizing and presenting numerical data,” Biochemia Medica, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 106–110, 2011.
- R. A. Roy, J. P. Boucher, and A. S. Comtois, “Inflammatory response following a short-term course of chiropractic treatment in subjects with and without chronic low back pain,” Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 107–114, 2010.
- Y. R. Kuo, W. S. Wu, Y. L. Hsieh et al., “Extracorporeal shock wave enhanced extended skin flap tissue survival via increase of topical blood perfusion and associated with suppression of tissue pro-inflammation,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 143, no. 2, pp. 385–392, 2007.
- D. Bezuidenhout, N. Davies, and P. Zilla, “Effect of well defined dodecahedral porosity on inflammation and angiogenesis,” ASAIO Journal, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 465–471, 2002.
- C. Moreau, D. Devos, V. Brunaud-Danel et al., “Elevated IL-6 and TNF-α levels in patients with ALS: inflammation or hypoxia?” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 1958–1960, 2005.
- J. Karhausen, V. H. Haase, and S. P. Colgan, “Inflammatory hypoxia: role of hypoxia-inducible factor,” Cell Cycle, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 256–258, 2005.
- E. H. Page and N. H. Shear, “Temperature-dependent skin disorders,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 18, no. 5, part 1, pp. 1003–1011, 1988.
- S. Kilo, M. Schmelz, M. Koltzenburg, and H. O. Handwerker, “Different patterns of hyperalgesia induced by experimental inflammation in human skin,” Brain, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 385–396, 1994.