- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 293826, 3 pages
Utility of Stellate Ganglion Block in Atypical Facial Pain: A Case Report and Consideration of Its Possible Mechanisms
Department of Anesthesiology, McMaster University, Health Sciences Centre 2U1, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Received 25 June 2013; Accepted 27 July 2013
Academic Editor: Michael G. Irwin
Copyright © 2013 Harsha Shanthanna. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. S. Cepeda, J. Lau, and D. B. Carr, “Defining the therapeutic role of local anesthetic sympathetic blockade in complex regional pain syndrome: a narrative and systematic review,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 216–233, 2002.
- G. Madland and C. Feinmann, “Chronic facial pain: a multidisciplinary problem,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 716–719, 2001.
- A. Hicky, S. Hanling, E. Pevney, R. Allen, and R. N. McLay, “Stellate ganglion block for PTSD,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 169, no. 7, p. 760, 2012.
- K. Hentschel, D. J. Capobianco, and D. W. Dodick, “Facial Pain,” Neurologist, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 244–249, 2005.
- H. Merskey and N. Bogduk, Classification of Chronic Pain, IASP Press, Seattle, Wash, USA, 2nd edition, 1994.
- M. Schürmann, G. Gradl, I. Wizgal et al., “Clinical and physiologic evaluation of stellate ganglion blockade for complex regional pain syndrome type I,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 94–100, 2001.
- M. E. Lynch and A. K. Elgeneidy, “The role of sympathetic activity in neuropathic orofacial pain,” Journal of Orofacial Pain, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 297–305, 1996.
- Q. X. Wang, X. Y. Wang, N. A. Fu, J. Y. Liu, and S. L. Yao, “Stellate ganglion block inhibits formalin-induced nociceptive responses: mechanism of action,” European Journal of Anaesthesiology, vol. 22, no. 12, pp. 913–918, 2005.
- K. Uchida, T. Tateda, and H. Hino, “Novel mechanism of action hypothesized for stellate ganglion block related to melatonin,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 446–449, 2002.
- J. Bruce, L. Tamarkin, C. Riedel, S. Markey, and E. Oldfield, “Sequential cerebrospinal fluid and plasma sampling in humans: 24-hour melatonin measurements in normal subjects and after peripheral sympathectomy,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 819–823, 1991.
- H. M. Zinzow, J. Brooks, and E. B. Stern, “Efficacy of stellate ganglion block in the treatment of anxiety symptoms from combat-related post-traumatic stress disorder, a case series,” Military Medicine, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. e357–e361, 2013.
- M. Y. Makharita, Y. M. Amr, and Y. El-Bayoumy, “Effect of early stellate ganglion blockade for facial pain from acute herpes zoster and incidence of postherpetic neuralgia,” Pain Physician, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 467–474, 2012.
- I. Salvaggio, E. Adducci, L. Dell'aquila et al., “Facial pain: a possible therapy with stellate ganglion block,” Pain Medicine, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 958–962, 2008.
- S. N. Narouze, “Ultrasound-guided interventional procedures in pain management: evidence-based medicine,” Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, vol. 35, supplement 2, pp. S55–S58, 2010.
- G. Jung, B. S. Kim, K.-B. Shin, K.-B. Park, S. Y. Kim, and S. O. Song, “The optimal volume of 0.2% ropivacaine required for an ultrasound-guided stellate ganglion block,” Korean Journal of Anesthesiology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 179–184, 2011.