- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 303712, 4 pages
A Culture-Proven Case of Community-Acquired Legionella Pneumonia Apparently Classified as Nosocomial: Diagnostic and Public Health Implications
1Department of Clinical, Diagnostic and Public Health Medicine, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Campi 287, 41125 Modena, Italy
2Prevention and Protection Service, Health Direction, University Hospital, Via Del Pozzo 71, 41124 Modena, Italy
3Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences for Children and Adults, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Del Pozzo 71, 41124 Modena, Italy
4Public Health Authority, Emilia Romagna Region, Via Aldo Moro 21, 40127 Bologna, Italy
Received 24 October 2012; Accepted 14 January 2013
Academic Editor: A. Chow
Copyright © 2013 Annalisa Bargellini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Dominguez, J. Alvarez, M. Sabria et al., “Factors influencing the case-fatality rate of Legionnaires' disease,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 407–412, 2009.
- S. K. Gupta, T. F. Imperiale, and G. A. Sarosi, “Evaluation of the Winthrop-University Hospital criteria to identify Legionella pneumonia,” Chest, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 1064–1071, 2001.
- B. M. W. Diederen, “Legionella spp. and Legionnaires' disease,” Journal of Infection, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2008.
- J. Carratalà and C. Garcia-Vidal, “An update on Legionella,” Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 152–157, 2010.
- P. Borella, I. Marchesi, S. Boccia et al., “Epidemiological investigation on a suggestive case of Legionella pneumonia and public health implications,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 38, no. 8, pp. 725–728, 2006.
- C. R. Phares, E. Russell, M. C. Thigpen et al., “Legionnaires' disease among residents of a long-term care facility: the sentinel event in a community outbreak,” American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 319–323, 2007.
- I. Marchesi, P. Marchegiano, A. Bargellini et al., “Effectiveness of different methods to control legionella in the water supply: ten-year experience in an Italian university hospital,” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2011.
- “Italian guidelines for prevention and control of legionellosis,” Gazzetta Ufficiale Della Repubblica Italiana, Serie Generale, no. 103, 2000.
- A. Haroon, M. Koide, F. Higa, K. Hibiya, M. Tateyama, and J. Fujita, “Repetitive element-polymerase chain reaction for genotyping of clinical and environmental isolates of Legionella spp,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 7–12, 2010.
- World Health Organization, Legionella and the Prevention of Legionellosis, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- P. Borella, S. Boccia, E. Leoni, et al., “Prevalence of Legionnaires' disease and investigation on risk factors: results on an Italian multicentric study,” in Legionella: State of the Art 30 Years after Its Recognition, N. P. Cianciotto, Y. Abu Kwaik, P. H. Edelstein, et al., Eds., pp. 110–113, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- J. W. den Boer, E. P. F. Yzerman, J. Schellekens et al., “A large outbreak of Legionnaires' disease at a flower show, the Netherlands, 1999,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 2002.
- D. W. Fraser, T. R. Tsai, and W. Orenstein, “Legionnaires' disease. Description of an epidemic of pneumonia,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 297, no. 22, pp. 1189–1197, 1977.
- S. D. Drenning, J. E. Stout, J. R. Joly, and V. L. Yu, “Unexpected similarity of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis patterns of unrelated clinical isolates of Legionella pneumophila, serogroup 1,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 628–632, 2001.
- M. Thouverez, C. Godard, R. Leprat, and D. Talon, “Is pulsed-field gel electrophoresis a valuable tool to identify nosocomial cases of Legionella pneumophila disease?” Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 254–259, 2003.
- J. E. Stout and V. L. Yu, “Environmental culturing for Legionella: can we build a better mouse trap?” American Journal of Infection Control, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 341–343, 2010.
- H. Sax, S. Dharan, and D. Pittet, “Legionnaires' disease in a renal transplant recipient: nosocomial or home-grown?” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 890–892, 2002.