- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 368637, 5 pages
Fatal Nocardia farcinica Bacteremia Diagnosed by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry in a Patient with Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treated with Corticosteroids
1Microbiology Section, Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, Sant’Andrea delle Fratte, 06132 Perugia, Italy
2Stroke Unit and Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Santa Maria della Misericordia Hospital, University of Perugia, 06132 Perugia, Italy
Received 30 January 2013; Accepted 28 March 2013
Academic Editor: Yasuhiko Sugawara
Copyright © 2013 Christian Leli et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Wilson, “Nocardiosis: updates and clinical overview,” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 403–407, 2012.
- P. Bruno, A. Ricci, A. Pezzuto, L. Martone, G. Gencarelli, and S. Mariotta, “Severe pneumonia caused by Nocardia farcinica and complicated by Staphylococcus haemoliticus superinfection,” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 401–405, 2011.
- A. Babayigit, D. Olmez, S. C. Sozmen et al., “Infection caused by Nocardia farcinica mimicking pulmonary metastasis in an adolescent girl,” Pediatric Emergency Care, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 203–205, 2010.
- P. De La Iglesia, G. Viejo, B. Gomez, D. De Miguel, A. Del Valle, and L. Otero, “Fatal pulmonary Nocardia farcinica infection,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 1098–1099, 2002.
- B. Mari, C. Montón, D. Mariscal, M. Luján, M. Sala, and C. Domingo, “Pulmonary nocardiosis: clinical experience in ten cases,” Respiration, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 382–388, 2001.
- J. Beucher, C. Belleguic, G. Brinchault, E. Deneuville, P. Y. Donnio, and M. Roussey, “Nocardia farcinica infection in a patient with cystic fibrosis,” Revue des Maladies Respiratoires, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 76–79, 2010.
- F. Bittar, N. Stremler, J. P. Audié et al., “Nocardia farcinica lung infection in a patient with cystic fibrosis: a case report,” Journal of Medical Case Reports, vol. 4, article 84, 2010.
- B. E. Petersen, S. G. Jenkins, S. Yuan, C. Lamm, and A. H. Szporn, “Nocardia farcinica isolated from bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of a child with cystic fibrosis,” The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 858–859, 2007.
- R. M. F. Brasileiro, A. C. C. D. A. Pinho, C. S. Medeiros et al., “Pulmonary nocardiosis in a patient who was a chronic corticosteroid user,” Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 585–587, 2007.
- S. Yokota, K. Kawabe, H. Yamada, and M. Nunomura, “A case of subcutaneous abscess caused by Nocardia farcinica in an aplastic anemia patient,” Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 93–97, 2010.
- J. Scharfen Jr., M. Morávková, M. Bunček et al., “Nocardia farcinica as the causative agent of a brain abscess in a patient with interstitial lung disease,” Epidemiologie, Mikrobiologie, Imunologie, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 2010.
- C. A. Iannotti, G. S. Hall, G. W. Procop, M. J. Tuohy, S. M. Staugaitis, and R. J. Weil, “Solitary Nocardia farcinica brain abscess in an immunocompetent adult mimicking metastatic brain tumor: rapid diagnosis by pyrosequencing and successful treatment,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 74–79, 2009.
- V. Fihman, B. Berçot, J. Mateo et al., “First successful treatment of Nocardia farcinica brain abscess with moxifloxacin,” The Journal of Infection, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. e99–e102, 2006.
- A. Christidou, S. Maraki, E. Scoulica, E. Mantadakis, S. Agelaki, and G. Samonis, “Fatal Nocardia farcinica bacteremia in a patient with lung cancer,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 135–139, 2004.
- J. A. Al-Tawfiq and A. A. Al-Khatti, “Disseminated systemic Nocardia farcinica infection complicating alefacept and infliximab therapy in a patient with severe psoriasis,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. e153–e157, 2010.
- O. H. Torres, P. Domingo, R. Pericas, P. Boiron, J. A. Montiel, and G. Vázquez, “Infection caused by Nocardia farcinica: case report and review,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 205–212, 2000.
- A. A. Bhave, K. Thirunavukkarasu, D. J. Gottlieb, and K. Bradstock, “Disseminated nocardiosis in a bone marrow transplant recipient with chronic GVHD,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 519–521, 1999.
- B. R. Peters, M. A. Saubolle, and J. M. Costantino, “Disseminated and cerebral infection due to Nocardia farcinica: diagnosis by blood culture and cure with antibiotics alone,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 1165–1167, 1996.
- C. Farina, P. Boiron, A. Goglio, and F. Provost, “Human nocardiosis in northern Italy from 1982 to 1992. Northern Italy Collaborative Group on Nocardiosis,” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 1995.
- B. A. Brown-Elliott, J. M. Brown, P. S. Conville, and R. J. Wallace Jr., “Clinical and laboratory features of the Nocardia spp. based on current molecular taxonomy,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 259–282, 2006.
- J. Versalovic, K. Carroll, G. Funke, et al., Manual of Clinical Microbiology, ASM Press, Washington, DC, USA, 10th edition, 2011.
- B. S. Park, Y. J. Park, Y. J. Kim et al., “A case of disseminated Nocardia farcinica diagnosed through DNA sequencing in a kidney transplantation patient,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 542–545, 2008.
- T. Hasegawa, T. Gonoi, J. Ito, T. Kogure, K. Yazawa, and Y. Mikami, “Identification of Nocardia farcinica by a PCR primer amplifying a specific DNA band for the bacterium,” Nihon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 173–175, 2007.
- A. Verroken, M. Janssens, C. Berhin et al., “Evaluation of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry for identification of Nocardia species,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 4015–4021, 2010.
- E. Farfour, J. Leto, M. Barritault, et al., “Evaluation of the andromas matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry system for identification of aerobically growing gram-positive bacilli,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 50, no. 8, pp. 2702–2707, 2012.
- M. J. Agterof, T. van der Bruggen, M. Tersmette, E. J. ter Borg, J. M. M. van den Bosch, and D. H. Biesma, “Nocardiosis: a case series and a mini review of clinical and microbiological features,” The Netherlands Journal of Medicine, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 199–202, 2007.
- C. C. Lai, L. N. Lee, L. J. Teng, M. S. Wu, J. C. Tsai, and P. R. Hsueh, “Disseminated Nocardia farcinica infection in a uraemia patient with idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura receiving steroid therapy,” Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 1107–1110, 2005.
- D. L. Palmer, R. L. Harvey, and J. K. Wheeler, “Diagnostic and therapeutic considerations in Nocardia asteroides infection,” Medicine, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 391–401, 1974.