- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Neurological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 745430, 6 pages
Superficial Siderosis and Anticoagulation Therapy: Different Presentations, Different Outcomes
Department of Neurology, Entre Douro e Vouga Hospital Center, Rua Dr. Cândido de Pinho, Santa Maria da Feira, 4520-211 Aveiro, Portugal
Received 17 August 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editors: A. E. Cavanna, D. B. Fee, I. L. Simone, and M. Swash
Copyright © 2012 Rui Duarte Barreto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. M. Fearnley, J. M. Stevens, and P. Rudge, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system,” Brain, vol. 118, no. 4, pp. 1051–1066, 1995.
- A. H. Koeppen, S. C. Michael, D. Li et al., “The pathology of superficial siderosis of the central nervous system,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 116, no. 4, pp. 371–382, 2008.
- H. Kellermier, G. Wang, and C. Wiley, “Iron localization in superficial siderosis of the central nervous system,” Neuropathology, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 187–195, 2009.
- G. A. Salvador, R. M. Uranga, and N. M. Giusto, “Iron and mechanisms of neurotoxicity,” International Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, vol. 2011, Article ID 720658, 9 pages, 2011.
- N. Kumar, “Superficial siderosis: associations and therapeutic implications,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 491–496, 2007.
- A. C. R. de Cerqueira, A. E. Nardi, and J. M. F. Bezerra, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system: an unusual cause of sensorineural hearing loss,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 469–471, 2010.
- R. C. Hamill, “Report of a case of melanosis of brain, cord and meninges,” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, vol. 35, p. 594, 1908.
- M. Levy, C. Turtzo, and R. H. Llinas, “Superficial siderosis: a case report and review of the literature,” Nature Clinical Practice Neurology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 54–58, 2007.
- J. Finsterer, C. Prainer, M. Jankovic, C. Stöllberger, and W. Kopsa, “Continuation of oral anticoagulation despite superficial siderosis,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 193–196, 2003.
- J. Le Scanff, A. Vighetto, C. Gédéon, M. Bonnefoy, and P. Krolak-Salmon, “Superficial siderosis revealed by isolated cognitive impairment,” Journals of Gerontology. Series A, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 385–387, 2009.
- E. D. Driver-Dunckley, J. M. Hoxworth, N. P. Patel, E. P. Bosch, and B. P. Goodman, “Superficial siderosis mimicking amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 137–144, 2010.
- M. Castro-Del Río, M. Seijo-Martínez, A. Iglesias, F. Vázquez, I. Arán, and E. M. Cebrián-Pérez, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system: report of two new cases,” Revista de Neurologia, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2004.
- M. Manfredi, E. Magni, M. Gandolfini, A. Beltramello, A. Orlandini, and E. Donati, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system and anticoagulant therapy: a case report,” Italian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 247–249, 1999.
- M. W. Vernooij, M. A. Ikram, A. Hofman, G. P. Krestin, M. M. B. Breteler, and A. Van Der Lugt, “Superficial siderosis in the general population,” Neurology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 202–205, 2009.
- K. Wang, Z. Xu, G. Xiong, and L. Benyan, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system manifested with seizures,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 277–278, 2010.
- H. Imai, K. Matsuishi, K. Mouri, A. Ito, N. Kitamura, and N. Nishino, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system presenting with hallucination and delusion: a case report,” Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 395–396, 2011.
- M. Payer, C. Sottas, and C. Bonvin, “Superficial siderosis of the central nervous system: secondary progression despite successful surgical treatment, mimicking amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Case report and review,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 152, no. 8, pp. 1411–1416, 2010.
- K. Spengos, S. Vassilopoulou, G. Tsivgoulis, G. Karachalios, and D. Vassilopoulos, “Superficial siderosis due to a lumbar ependymoma mimicking adult-onset spinocerebellar ataxia,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 705–707, 2007.
- J. P. Posti, S. Juvela, R. Parkkola, and S. Roine, “Three cases of superficial siderosis of the central nervous system and review of the literature,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 153, no. 10, pp. 2067–2073, 2011.
- K. Khalatbari, “Case 141: superficial siderosis,” Radiology, vol. 250, no. 1, pp. 292–297, 2009.
- P. Shih, B. P. Yang, H. H. Batjer, and J. C. Liu, “Surgical management of superficial siderosis,” Spine Journal, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. e16–e19, 2009.
- M. Levy and R. H. Llinas, “Deferiprone reduces hemosiderin deposits in the brain of a patient with superficial siderosis,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. E1–E2, 2011.