- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Ophthalmological Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 707898, 7 pages
Tropheryma whipplei Crystalline Keratopathy: Report of a Case and Updated Review of the Literature
Vanderbilt Eye Institute, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Received 29 June 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editors: C.-k. Joo, G. Savini, and M. W. Stewart
Copyright © 2012 Scott D. Schoenberger et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. H. Whipple, “A hitherto undescribed disease characterized anatomically by deposits of fat and fatty acids in the intestinal and mesenteric lymphatic tissues,” Bulletin of the Johns Hopkins Hospital, vol. 18, pp. 382–391, 1907.
- J. C. Lagier, H. Lepidi, D. Raoult, and F. Fenollar, “Systemic Tropheryma whipplei: clinical presentation of 142 patients with infections diagnosed or confirmed in a reference center,” Medicine, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 337–345, 2010.
- H. Maizel, J. M. Ruffin, and W. O. Dobbins 3rd. W.O., “Whipple's disease: a review of 19 patients from one hospital and a review of the literature since 1950,” Medicine, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 175–205, 1970.
- R. Y. Chan, L. A. Yannuzzi, and C. S. Foster, “Ocular Whipple's disease: earlier definitive diagnosis,” Ophthalmology, vol. 108, no. 12, pp. 2225–2231, 2001.
- F. Fenollar, X. Puéchal, and D. Raoult, “Whipple's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 1, pp. 55–66, 2007.
- D. V. Durand, C. Lecomte, P. Cathebras, H. Rousset, and P. Godeau, “Whipple disease: clinical review of 52 cases,” Medicine, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 170–184, 1997.
- R. Mahnel, A. Kalt, S. Ring, A. Stallmach, W. Strober, and T. Marth, “Immunosuppressive therapy in Whipple's disease patients is associated with the appearance of gastrointestinal manifestations,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1167–1173, 2005.
- W. O. Dobbins, Whipple's Disease, Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Ill, USA, 1987.
- S. Thaler, S. Grisanti, K. Klingel, A. Raible, V. A. Kempf, and B. Schulte, “Intermediate uveitis and arthralgia as early symptoms in Whipple's disease,” International Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 14, supplement 3, pp. e388–e389, 2010.
- M. Drancourt, D. Raoult, H. Lépidi et al., “Culture of Tropheryma whippelii from the vitreous fluid of a patient presenting with unilateral uveitis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 139, no. 12, pp. 1046–1047, 2003.
- M. Drancourt, F. Fenollar, D. Denis, and D. Raoult, “Postoperative panophthalmitis caused by whipple disease,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 825–827, 2009.
- I. Nubourgh, F. Vandergheynst, P. Lefebvre, A. Lemy, N. Dumarey, and G. Decaux, “An atypical case of Whipple's disease: case report and review of the literature,” Acta Clinica Belgica, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 107–111, 2008.
- R. A. Scheurer, G. S. Kosmorsky, G. S. Hoffman, C. Farver, M. S. Lee, and D. M. Cestari, “Can't hear, can't see, and too sore to play,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 290–296, 2010.
- L. T. Lim, R. Moorthy, S. Najm, et al., “A unique posterior segment manifestation of Whipple disease,” Retinal Cases and Brief Reports, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 204–205, 2012.
- R. R. Razonable, J. S. Pulido, P. J. Deziel, S. Dev, D. R. Salomão, and R. C. Walker, “Chorioretinitis and vitreitis due to Tropheryma whipplei after transplantation: case report and review,” Transplant Infectious Disease, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 413–418, 2008.
- S. Vehr, A. Nestler, A. Schütz, U. Halm, and P. Meier, “Uveitis intermedia in Whipple's disease,” Ophthalmologe, vol. 105, no. 11, pp. 1046–1051, 2008.
- S. Mennel, S. Schubert, and C. Müller, “Refractory intermediate uveitis in the presence of unexplained joint disease,” Ophthalmologe, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 176–179, 2008.
- J. G. Williams, D. P. Edward, H. H. Tessler, D. H. Persing, P. S. Mitchell, and D. A. Goldstein, “Ocular manifestations of Whipple disease: an atypical presentation,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 116, no. 9, pp. 1232–1234, 1998.
- J. K. Nishimura, B. E. Cook, and J. M. Pach, “Whipple disease presenting as posterior uveitis without prominent gastrointestinal symptoms,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 130–132, 1998.
- L. S. Rickman, W. R. Freeman, W. R. Green et al., “Brief report: uveitis caused by Tropheryma whippelii (Whipple's bacillus),” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 332, no. 6, pp. 363–366, 1995.
- T. M. Leland and J. K. Chambers, “Ocular findings in Whipple's disease,” Southern Medical Journal, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 335–338, 1978.
- M. P. Avila, A. E. Jalkh, and E. Feldman, “Manifestations of Whipple's disease in the posterior segment of the eye,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 384–390, 1984.
- S. Wang, L. M. Ernst, B. R. Smith et al., “Systemic Tropheryma whippleii infection associated with monoclonal B-cell proliferation: a Helicobacter pylori-type pathogenesis?” Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 127, no. 12, pp. 1619–1622, 2003.
- T. Fest, B. Pron, M. P. Lefranc et al., “Detection of a clonal BCL2 gene rearrangement in tissues from a patient with Whipple disease,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 124, no. 8, pp. 738–740, 1996.
- C. C. Barr, H. Gelender, and R. L. Font, “Corneal crystalline deposits associated with dysproteinemia. Report of two cases and review of the literature,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 98, no. 5, pp. 884–889, 1980.
- L. D. Ormerod, H. B. Collin, C. H. Dohlman, J. L. Craft, J. F. Desforges, and D. M. Albert, “Paraproteinemic crystalline keratopathy,” Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 202–212, 1988.
- W. Sekundo and P. Seifert, “Monoclonal corneal gammopathy: topographic considerations,” German Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 262–267, 1996.
- D. C. Garibaldi, J. Gottsch, Z. de la Cruz, M. Haas, and W. R. Green, “Immunotactoid keratopathy: a clinicopathologic case report and a review of reports of corneal involvement in systemic paraproteinemias,” Survey of Ophthalmology, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 61–80, 2005.
- F. Fenollar, M. Trani, B. Davoust et al., “Prevalence of asymptomatic Tropheryma whipplei carriage among humans and nonhuman primates,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 197, no. 6, pp. 880–887, 2008.
- D. Raoult, F. Fenollar, J. M. Rolain et al., “Tropheryma whipplei in children with gastroenteritis,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 776–782, 2010.
- M. Martinetti, F. Biagi, C. Badulli et al., “The HLA alleles DRB1*13 and DQB1*06 are associated to Whipple's disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 136, no. 7, pp. 2289–2294, 2009.
- V. Moos, D. Kunkel, T. Marth et al., “Reduced peripheral and mucosal Tropheryma whipplei-specific Th1 response in patients with Whipple's disease,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 3, pp. 2015–2022, 2006.
- A. Kalt, T. Schneider, S. Ring et al., “Decreased levels of interleukin-12p40 in the serum of patients with Whipple's disease,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 2006.
- B. Desnues, M. Ihrig, D. Raoult, and J. L. Mege, “Whipple's disease: a macrophage disease,” Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 170–178, 2006.
- D. A. Relman, T. M. Schmidt, R. P. MacDermott, and S. Falkow, “Identification of the uncultured bacillus of Whipple's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 327, no. 5, pp. 293–301, 1992.
- D. Raoult, M. L. Birg, B. La Scola et al., “Cultivation of the bacillus of Whipple's disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 9, pp. 620–625, 2000.
- H. U. Ehrbar, P. Bauerfeind, F. Dutly, H. R. Koelz, and M. Altwegg, “PCR-positive tests for Tropheryma whippelii in patients without Whipple's disease,” The Lancet, vol. 353, no. 9171, p. 2214, 1999.
- S. Street, H. D. Donoghue, and G. H. Neild, “Tropheryma whippelii DNA in saliva of healthy people,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9185, pp. 1178–1179, 1999.
- B. L. Baisden, H. Lepidi, D. Raoult, P. Argani, J. H. Yardley, and J. S. Dumler, “Diagnosis of Whipple disease by immunohistochemical analysis: a sensitive and specific method for the detection of Tropheryma whipplei (the Whipple bacillus) in paraffin-embedded tissue,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 118, no. 5, pp. 742–748, 2002.
- G. E. Feurle, V. Moos, K. Schinnerling et al., “The immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in Whipple disease: a cohort study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 153, no. 11, pp. 710–717, 2010.
- P. J. Schnider, E. C. Reisinger, W. Gerschlager et al., “Long-term follow-up in cerebral Whipple's disease,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 8, no. 9, pp. 899–903, 1996.