Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 297326, 6 pages
Knee Osteoarthritis Treatment with the KineSpring Knee Implant System: A Report of Two Cases
1Brisbane Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Center, Level 5, 259 Wickham Terrace, Brisbane, QLD 4000, Australia
2Miller Scientific Consulting, 26 Portobello Road, Arden, NC 28704, USA
3The Jon Block Group, 2210 Jackson Street, Suite 401, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
Received 25 October 2012; Accepted 20 November 2012
Academic Editors: E. R. Ahlmann and A. Jawahar
Copyright © 2012 David A. Hayes et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Martel-Pelletier, C. Boileau, J. P. Pelletier, and P. J. Roughley, “Cartilage in normal and osteoarthritis conditions,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 351–384, 2008.
- C. M. Michaud, M. T. McKenna, S. Begg et al., “The burden of disease and injury in the United States 1996,” Population Health Metrics, vol. 4, article 11, 2006.
- A. D. Woolf and B. Pfleger, “Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 81, no. 9, pp. 646–656, 2003.
- A. D. Wolf and B. Pfleger, “Burden of major musculoskeletal conditions. Policy and practice. Special theme-bone and joint decade 2000–2010,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 81, pp. 646–656, 2003.
- C. Waller, D. Hayes, J. E. Block, et al., “Unload it: the key to the treatment of knee osteoarthritis,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1823–1829, 2011.
- J. B. Moseley, K. O'Malley, N. J. Petersen, et al., “A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 347, no. 2, pp. 81–88, 2002.
- W. Zhang, R. W. Moskowitz, G. Nuki et al., “OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee osteoarthritis, part I: critical appraisal of existing treatment guidelines and systematic review of current research evidence,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 981–1000, 2007.
- A. W. Rutjes, P. Juni, B. R. da Costa, et al., “Viscosupplementation for osteoarthritis of the knee: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 157, no. 3, pp. 180–191, 2012.
- J. C. Richmond, “Surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 213–222, 2009.
- N. J. London, L. E. Miller, and J. E. Block, “Clinical and economic consequences of the treatment gap in knee osteoarthritis management,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 887–892, 2011.
- A. Clifford, M. O'Connell, S. Gabriel, L. E. Miller, and J. E. Block, “The KineSpring load absorber implant: rationale, design and biomechanical characterization,” Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2011.
- D. Zhao, S. A. Banks, K. H. Mitchell, D. D. D'Lima, C. W. Colwell, and B. J. Fregly, “Correlation between the knee adduction torque and medical contact force for a variety of gait patterns,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 789–797, 2007.
- J. F. Wilson, “To stop osteoarthritis, fixing cartilage may not be enough,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 147, no. 6, pp. 437–439, 2007.
- D. T. Felson, R. C. Lawrence, P. A. Dieppe et al., “Osteoarthritis: new insights—part 1: the disease and its risk factors,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 133, no. 8, pp. 635–646, 2000.
- L. E. Thorp, D. R. Sumner, J. A. Block, K. C. Moisio, S. Shott, and M. A. Wimmer, “Knee joint loading differs in individuals with mild compared with moderate medial knee osteoarthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 3842–3849, 2006.
- J. A. Block and N. Shakoor, “The biomechanics of osteoarthritis: implications for therapy,” Current Rheumatology Reports, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2009.
- F. P. J. G. Lafeber, F. Intema, P. M. Van Roermund, and A. C. Marijnissen, “Unloading joints to treat osteoarthritis, including joint distraction,” Current Opinion in Rheumatology, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 519–525, 2006.
- E. L. Radin and D. B. Burr, “Hypothesis: joints can heal,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 293–302, 1984.
- S. Floerkemeier, A. E. Staubli, S. Schroeter, et al., “Outcome after high tibial open-wedge osteotomy: a retrospective evaluation of 533 patients,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. In press.
- S. Schroter, J. Mueller, R. van Heerwaarden, et al., “Return to work and clinical outcome after open wedge HTO,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy. In press.
- G. S. E. Dowd, H. S. Somayaji, and M. Uthukuri, “High tibial osteotomy for medial compartment osteoarthritis,” Knee, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 87–92, 2006.
- C. F. Dillon, E. K. Rasch, Q. Gu, and R. Hirsch, “Prevalence of knee osteoarthritis in the United States: arthritis data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1991–94,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2271–2279, 2006.
- “National statistics on all stays: 2005 outcomes by patient and hospital characteristics for ICD-9-CM principal procedure code 81.54 total knee replacement,” http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.jsp.