- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 603726, 5 pages
A Patient with Clavicle Fracture and Recurrent Scapular Winging with Spontaneous Resolutions
1Utah Orthopaedic Specialists, 5323 South Woodrow Street, Suite 200, Salt Lake City, Utah 84107, USA
2The University of Utah Department of Orthopaedics, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
3Intermountain Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84107, USA
Received 22 June 2012; Accepted 26 August 2012
Academic Editors: P.-Q. Chen, P. Lafforgue, and M. Pirpiris
Copyright © 2012 Kendra E. Keenan and John G. Skedros. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. J. Fiddian and R. J. King, “The winged scapula,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 185, pp. 228–236, 1984.
- J. E. Kuhn, “The scapulothoracic articulation: anatomy, biomechanics, pathophysiology and management,” in Disorders of the Shoulder: Diagnosis and Management, J. P. Iannotti and G. R. Williams, Eds., pp. 1057–1086, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2 edition, 2007.
- H. N. Rasyid, T. Nakajima, K. Hamada, and H. Fukuda, “Winging of the scapula caused by disruption of “sternoclaviculoscapular linkage”: report of 2 cases,” Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 144–147, 2000.
- J. R. Gregg, D. Labosky, and M. Harty, “Serratus anterior paralysis in the young athlete,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 825–832, 1979.
- A. W. Pearsall and G. V. Russell Jr., “Ipsilateral clavicle fracture, sternoclavicular joint subluxation, and long thoracic nerve injury: an unusual constellation of injuries sustained during wrestling. A case report,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 904–908, 2000.
- E. R. Gozna and W. R. Harris, “Traumatic winging of the scapula,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 61, no. 8, pp. 1230–1233, 1979.
- J. Bernstein, “Nonoperative treatment compared with plate fixation of displaced midshaft clavicular fractures,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 8, p. 1866, 2007.
- A. Nordqvist and C. Petersson, “The incidence of fractures of the clavicle,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 300, pp. 127–132, 1994.
- B. D. Coupe, J. A. Wimhurst, R. Indar, D. A. Calder, and A. D. Patel, “A new approach for plate fixation of midshaft clavicular fractures,” Injury, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1166–1171, 2005.
- C. M. Robinson, “Fractures of the clavicle in the adult. Epidemiology and classification,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 476–484, 1998.
- V. Kulshrestha, T. Roy, and L. Audige, “Operative versus nonoperative management of displaced midshaft clavicle fractures: a prospective cohort study,” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2011.
- C. H. Cho, K. S. Song, B. W. Min, K. C. Bae, and K. J. Lee, “Operative treatment of clavicle midshaft fractures: comparison between reconstruction plate and reconstruction locking compression plate,” Clinics in Orthopedic Surgery, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 154–159, 2010.
- A. Eskola, S. Vainionpaa, and P. Myllynen, “Outcome of clavicular fracture in 89 patients,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Traumatic Surgery, vol. 105, no. 6, pp. 337–338, 1986.
- C. K. Kitsis, A. J. Marino, S. J. Krikler, and R. Birch, “Late complications following clavicular fractures and their operative management,” Injury, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 2003.
- S. P. Kay and J. J. Eckardt, “Brachial plexus palsy secondary to clavicular nonunion. Case report and literature survey,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 206, pp. 219–222, 1986.
- O. Barbier, J. Malghem, O. Delaere, B. Vande Berg, and J. J. Rombouts, “Injury to the brachial plexus by a fragment of bone after fracture of the clavicle,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 534–536, 1997.
- K. M. Rumball, V. F. da Silva, D. N. Preston, and C. C. Carruthers, “Brachial-plexus injury after clavicular fracture: case report and literature review,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 264–266, 1991.
- C. E. Chen and H. C. Liu, “Delayed brachial plexus neurapraxia complicating malunion of the clavicle,” American Journal of Orthopedics, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 321–322, 2000.
- S. O. Matz, P. S. Welliver, and D. I. Welliver, “Brachial plexus neuropraxia complicating a comminuted clavicle fracture in a college football player. Case report and review of the literature,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 581–583, 1989.
- C. A. Rüst, B. Knechtle, P. Knechtle, and T. Rosemann, “Atrophy of the brachialis muscle after a displaced clavicle fracture in an Ironman triathlete: case report,” Journal of Brachial Plexus and Peripheral Nerve Injury, vol. 6, Article ID 7, 2011.
- D. O. Overpeck and R. K. Ghormley, “Paralysis of the serratus magnus muscle caused by lesions of the long thoracic nerve,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 114, no. 20, pp. 1994–1996, 1940.