- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Orthopedics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 621476, 5 pages
Atypical Presentation of Thoracic Disc Herniation: Case Series and Review of the Literature
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 8631 West Third Street, Suite 800E, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Received 17 January 2013; Accepted 12 March 2013
Academic Editors: I. Madrazo and T. Tsurumoto
Copyright © 2013 Ali Shirzadi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. E. Awwad, D. S. Martin, K. R. Smith, and B. K. Baker, “Asymptomatic versus symptomatic herniated thoracic discs: their frequency and characteristics as detected by computed tomography after myelography,” Neurosurgery, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 180–186, 1991.
- O. Gille, C. Soderlund, H. J. C. Razafimahandri, P. Mangione, and J. M. Vital, “Analysis of hard thoracic herniated discs: review of 18 cases operated by thoracoscopy,” European Spine Journal, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 537–542, 2006.
- M. P. Williams and G. R. Cherryman, “Thoracic disk herniation: MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 167, no. 3, pp. 874–875, 1988.
- K. B. Wood, T. A. Garvey, C. Gundry, and K. B. Heithoff, “Magnetic resonance imaging of the thoracic spine: evaluation of asymptomatic individuals,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 77, no. 11, pp. 1631–1638, 1995.
- C. A. Arce and G. J. Dohrmann, “Herniated thoracic disks,” Neurologic Clinics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 383–392, 1985.
- J. Carson, J. Gumpert, and A. Jefferson, “Diagnosis and treatment of thoracic intervertebral disc protrusions,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 68–77, 1971.
- C. F. Chen, M. C. Chang, C. L. Liu, and T. H. Chen, “Acute noncontiguous multiple-level thoracic disc herniations with myelopathy: a case report,” Spine, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. E157–E160, 2004.
- P. D. Le Roux, M. M. Haglund, A. B. Harris, and R. H. Patterson, “Thoracic disc disease: experience with the transpedicular approach in twenty consecutive patients,” Neurosurgery, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 58–66, 1993.
- K. Ohnishi, K. Miyamoto, Y. Kanamori, H. Kodama, H. Hosoe, and K. Shimizu, “Anterior decompression and fusion for multiple thoracic disc herniation,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 356–360, 2005.
- C. B. Stillerman, T. C. Chen, W. T. Couldwell, W. Zhang, and M. H. Weiss, “Experience in the surgical management of 82 symptomatic herniated thoracic discs and review of the literature,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 623–633, 1998.
- R. G. Whitmore, B. J. Williams, B. C. Lega, M. R. Sanborn, and P. Marcotte, “A patient with thoracic intradural disc herniation,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1730–1732, 2011.
- J. S. Uribe, W. D. Smith, L. Pimenta et al., “Minimally invasive lateral approach for symptomatic thoracic disc herniation: initial multicentral clinical experience,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 16, pp. 264–279, 2012.
- U. Quint, G. Bordon, I. Preissl, C. Sanner, and D. Rosenthal, “Thoracoscopic treatment for single level symptomatic thoracic disc herniation: a prospective followed cohort study in a group of 167 consecutive cases,” European Spine Journal, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 637–645, 2012.
- J. A. Epstein, “The syndrome of herniation of the lower thoracic intervertebral discs with nerve root and spinal cord compression. A presentation of four cases with a a review of the literature, methods of diagnosis and treatment,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 525–538, 1954.
- P. Fransen, F. Collignon, and B. Van Den Heule, “Foraminal disc herniation Th9-Thl0 mimicking abdominal pain,” Acta Orthopaedica Belgica, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 881–884, 2008.
- R. Jooma, M. J. Torrens, R. J. Veerapen, and H. B. Griffith, “Spinal disease presenting as acute abdominal pain: report of two cases,” British Medical Journal, vol. 287, no. 6385, pp. 117–118, 1983.
- N. Papadakos, H. Georges, N. Sibtain, and C. M. Tolias, “Thoracic disc prolapse presenting with abdominal pain: case report and review of the literature,” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 91, no. 5, pp. W4–W6, 2009.
- R. S. Rohde and J. D. Kang, “Thoracic disc herniation presenting with chronic nausea and abdominal pain: a case report,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 379–381, 2004.
- I. Stetkarova, J. Chrobok, E. Ehler, and M. Kofler, “Segmental abdominal wall paresis caused by lateral low thoracic disc herniation,” Spine, vol. 32, no. 22, pp. E635–E639, 2007.
- A. Tahmouresie, A. B. Harris, and R. H. Patterson, “Herniated thoracic intervertebral disc. An unusual presentation: case report,” Neurosurgery, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 623–625, 1980.
- D. C. Whitcomb, S. P. Martin, R. E. Schoen, and H. D. Jho, “Chronic abdominal pain caused by thoracic disc herniation,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 90, no. 5, pp. 835–837, 1995.
- A. Wilke, U. Wolf, P. Lageard, and P. Griss, “Thoracic disc herniation: a diagnostic challenge,” Manual Therapy, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 181–184, 2000.
- Y. Xiong, E. Lachmann, S. Marini, and W. Nagler, “Thoracic disk herniation presenting as abdominal and pelvic pain: a case report,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 82, no. 8, pp. 1142–1144, 2001.
- C. A. Key, “On paraplegia depending on disease of the ligaments of the spine,” Guy's Hospital Reports, vol. 3, pp. 17–34, 1838.
- R. Bransford, F. Zhang, C. Bellabarb, M. Konodi, and J. R. Chapman, “Early experience treating thoracic disc herniations using a modified transfacet pedicle-sparing decompression and fusion: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 221–231, 2010.
- L. T. Khoo, Z. A. Smith, F. Asgarzadie et al., “Minimally invasive extracavitary approach for thoracic discectomy and interbody fusion: 1-Year clinical and radiographic outcomes in 13 patients compared with a cohort of traditional anterior transthoracic approaches—clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 250–260, 2011.
- J. McInerney and P. A. Ball, “The pathophysiology of thoracic disc disease,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 9, no. 4, article e1, 2000.
- E. M. J. Cornips, M. L. F. Janssen, and E. A. M. Beuls, “Thoracic disc herniation and acute myelopathy: clinical presentation, neuroimaging findings, surgical considerations, and outcome: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 520–528, 2011.
- T. Videman, M. C. Battie, K. Gill, H. Manninen, L. E. Gibbons, and L. D. Fisher, “Magnetic resonance imaging findings and their relationships in the thoracic and lumbar spine: insights into the etiopathogenesis of spinal degeneration,” Spine, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 928–935, 1995.
- L. Bartolomei, C. Carbonin, G. Cagnin, and V. Toso, “Unilateral swelling of the lower abdominal wall. Unusual clinical manifestation of an upper lumbar disc herniation,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 117, no. 1-2, pp. 78–79, 1992.
- H. L. Cho, S. H. Lee, and J. S. Kim, “Thoracic disk herniation manifesting as sciatica-like pain,” Neurologia Medico-Chirurgica, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 67–71, 2011.
- R. K. Lyu, H. S. Chang, L. M. Tang, and S. T. Chen, “Thoracic disc herniation mimicking acute lumbar disc disease,” Spine, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 416–418, 1999.
- P. M. Arnold, P. L. Johnson, and K. K. Anderson, “Surgical management of multiple thoracic disc herniations via a transfacet approach: a report of 15 cases—clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 76–81, 2011.
- E. A. Mayer and H. E. Raybould, “Role of visceral afferent mechanisms in functional bowel disorders,” Gastroenterology, vol. 99, no. 6, pp. 1688–1704, 1990.
- C. W. Brown, P. A. Deffer Jr., J. Akmakjian, D. H. Donaldson, and J. L. Brugman, “The natural history of thoracic disc herniation,” Spine, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. S97–S102, 1992.
- E. F. Bisson, G. F. Jost, R. I. Apfelbaum, and M. H. Schmidt, “Thoracoscopic discectomy and instrumented fusion using a minimally invasive plate system: surgical technique and early clinical outcome,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 30, no. 4, article E15, 2011.
- W. Mixter and J. Barr, “Rupture of the intervertebral discs with compression of the spinal cord,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 211, pp. 210–215, 1934.
- J. H. Chi, S. S. Dhall, A. S. Kanter, and P. V. Mummaneni, “The Mini-Open transpedicular thoracic discectomy: surgical technique and assessment,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 25, no. 2, article E5, 2008.
- R. G. Fessler and M. Sturgill, “Review: complications of surgery for thoracic disc disease,” Surgical Neurology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 609–618, 1998.
- N. Anand and J. J. Regan, “Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for thoracic disc disease: classification and outcome study of 100 consecutive cases with a 2-year minimum follow-up period,” Spine, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 871–879, 2002.
- R. J. Oskouian and J. P. Johnson, “Endoscopic thoracic microdiscectomy,” Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 459–464, 2005.