- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Psychiatry
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 496364, 4 pages
Priapism in Antipsychotic Drug Use: A Rare but Important Side Effect
1Division of Psychiatry, Haukeland University Hospital, Sandviksleitet 1, 5035 Bergen, Norway
2Section of Psychiatry, Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Bergen, Sandviksleitet 1, 5035 Bergen, Norway
Received 29 February 2012; Accepted 16 April 2012
Academic Editors: S. Cortese, J. Thome, and N. Yasui-Furukori
Copyright © 2012 Igne Sinkeviciute et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. J. Bivalacqua and A. L. Burnett, “Priapism: new concepts in the pathophysiology and new treatment strategies,” Current Urology Reports, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 497–502, 2006.
- H. Sadeghi-Nejad and A. D. Seftel, “The etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of priapism: review of the American Foundation for Urologic Disease Consensus Panel Report,” Current urology reports, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 492–498, 2002.
- J. W. Thompson, M. R. Ware, and R. K. Blashfield, “Psychotropic medication and priapism: a comprehensive review,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 430–433, 1990.
- A. Abi-Dargham and M. Laruelle, “Mechanisms of action of second generation antipsychotic drugs in schizophrenia: insights from brain imaging studies,” European Psychiatry, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 15–27, 2005.
- B. L. Roth, D. J. Sheffer, and W. K. Kroeze, “Magic shotguns versus magic bullets: selectively non-selective drugs for mood disorders and schizophrenia,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 353–359, 2004.
- S. Miyamoto, G. E. Duncan, C. E. Marx, and J. A. Lieberman, “Treatments for schizophrenia: a critical review of pharmacology and mechanisms of action of antipsychotic drugs,” Molecular Psychiatry, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 79–104, 2005.
- E. Johnsen, R. A. Kroken, M. Abaza, H. Olberg, and H. A. Jørgensen, “Antipsychotic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a cross-sectional survey,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 686–690, 2008.
- A. Üçok and W. Gaebel, “Side effects of atypical antipsychotics: a brief overview,” World Psychiatry, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 58–62, 2008.
- P. J. Weiden, C. Kozma, A. Grogg, and J. Locklear, “Partial compliance and risk of rehospitalization among California medicaid patients with schizophrenia,” Psychiatric Services, vol. 55, no. 8, pp. 886–891, 2004.
- M. Ronning, The WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology, Established 1982, http://www.whocc.no/atcddd/.
- P. Rosenzweig, M. Canal, A. Patat, L. Bergougnan, I. Zieleniuk, and G. Bianchetti, “A review of the pharmacokinetics, tolerability and pharmacodynamics of amisulpride in healthy volunteers,” Human Psychopharmacology, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2002.
- F. Andersohn, N. Schmedt, S. Weinmann, S. N. Willich, and E. Garbe, “Priapism associated with antipsychotics: role of α1 adrenoceptor affinity,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 68–71, 2010.
- S. Sood, W. James, and M. J. Bailon, “Priapism associated with atypical antipsychotic medications: a review,” International Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2008.
- A. C. Tsai, “A case of recurrent priapism in the context of quetiapine use, discontinuation, and rechallenge,” Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 235–236, 2011.
- D. Makesar and J. Thome, “Risperidone-induced priapism,” World Journal of Biological Psychiatry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 45–47, 2007.
- M. J. Geraci, S. L. McCoy, P. M. Crum, and R. A. Patel, “Antipsychotic-induced priapism in an HIV patient: a cytochrome p450-mediated drug interaction,” International Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 81–84, 2010.
- P. Yang and J. H. Tsai, “Occurrence of priapism with risperidone—paroxetine combination in an autistic child,” Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 342–343, 2004.
- J. M. Lawrence, T. D. Stewart, and F. H. Frankel, “Alpha blockade and priapism,” American Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 141, no. 6, p. 825, 1984.
- J. Kogeorgos and C. De Alwis, “Priapism and psychotropic medication,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 149, pp. 241–243, 1986.
- R. M. Du Toit, R. C. Millson, J. P. Heaton, and M. A. Adams, “Priapism,” Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 868–869, 2004.
- S. Murthy and K. R. Wylie, “Sexual problems in patients on antipsychotic medication,” Sexual and Relationship Therapy, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 97–107, 2007.