Case Reports in Pulmonology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 416360, 2 pages
Cerebral Arterial Air Embolism Associated with Mechanical Ventilation and Deep Tracheal Aspiration
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, 58140 Sivas, Turkey
Received 2 April 2012; Accepted 27 June 2012
Academic Editors: A. X. Freire and K. Watanabe
Copyright © 2012 S. Gursoy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. M. Muth and E. S. Shank, “Gas embolism,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 342, no. 7, pp. 476–482, 2000.
- C. B. Ordway, “Air embolus via CVP catheter without positive pressure: presentation of case and review,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 479–481, 1974.
- D. B. Price, P. Nardi, and J. Teitcher, “Venous air embolization as a complication of pressure injection of contrast media: CT findings,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 294–295, 1987.
- D. Rubinstein and D. Symonds, “Gas in the cavernous sinus,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 561–566, 1994.
- W. Takahashi, F. Yoshii, S. Ohsuga, Y. Izumi, and Y. Shinohara, “Two patients with paradoxical cerebral air embolism due to accidental disconnection of a subclavian intravenous catheter,” Japanese Journal of Stroke, vol. 17, pp. 89–94, 1995.
- J. H. Wooding and A. M. Fried, “Nonfatal venous air embolism after contrast-enhanced CT,” Radiology, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 405–407, 1988.
- D. H. Park, Y. G. Chung, S. H. Kang, J. Y. Park, Y. K. Park, and H. K. Lee, “Arterial cerebral air embolism at the site of a spontaneous pontine hemorrhage in a patient receiving erroneous continuous positive pressure ventilation,” Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, vol. 109, no. 9, pp. 803–805, 2007.
- L. K. Weaver and A. Morris, “Venous and arterial gas embolism associated with positive pressure ventilation,” Chest, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 1132–1134, 1998.
- M. C. A. Müller, S. M. Lagarde, M. R. Germans, and N. P. Juffermans, “Cerebral air embolism after arthrography of the ankle,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 92–94, 2010.
- C. J. Schlimp, T. Loimer, M. Rieger, W. Lederer, and M. B. Schmidts, “The potential of venous air embolism ascending retrograde to the brain,” Journal of Forensic Sciences, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 906–909, 2005.
- J. J. Marini and B. H. Culver, “Systemic gas embolism complicating mechanical ventilation in the adult respiratory distress syndrome,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 699–703, 1989.
- A. M. H. Ho, S. Lee, B. A. Tay, and D. C. Chung, “Lung isolation for the prevention of air embolism in penetrating lung trauma. A case report,” Canadian Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 47, no. 12, pp. 1256–1258, 2000.
- S. C. Hung, H. C. Hsu, and S. C. Chang, “Cerebral air embolism complicating bilevel positive airway pressure therapy,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 235–237, 1998.
- A. M. H. Ho and E. Ling, “Systemic air embolism after lung trauma,” Anesthesiology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 564–575, 1999.