- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Surgery
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 719713, 3 pages
Pneumatosis Intestinalis: Not Always a Surgical Indication
1Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
2Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94122, USA
Received 7 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editors: H. Kawai, G. Santori, M. Shimoda, and B. Tokar
Copyright © 2012 Haijing Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Braumann, C. Menenakos, and C. A. Jacobi, “Pneumatosis intestinalis—a pitfall for surgeons?” Scandinavian Journal of Surgery, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 47–50, 2005.
- L. M. Ho, E. K. Paulson, and W. M. Thompson, “Pneumatosis intestinal is in the adult: benign to life-threatening causes,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 188, no. 6, pp. 1604–1613, 2007.
- S. Galandiuk and V. W. Fazio, “Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis: a review of the literature,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 358–363, 1986.
- S. J. Knechtle, A. M. Davidoff, and R. P. Rice, “Pneumatosis intestinalis. Surgical management and clinical outcome,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 212, no. 2, pp. 160–165, 1990.
- A. Koreishi, G. Y. Lauwers, and J. Misdraji, “Pneumatosis intestinalis: a challenging biopsy diagnosis,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1469–1475, 2007.
- A. John, K. Dickey, J. Fenwick, B. Sussman, and W. Beeken, “Pneumatosis intestinalis in patients with Crohn's disease,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 813–817, 1992.
- Y. Shimojima, W. Ishii, M. Matsuda, K. Tojo, R. Watanabe, and S. I. Ikeda, “Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis in neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus with diabetes mellitus: case report and literature review,” Modern Rheumatology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 415–419, 2011.
- M. A. Meyers, G. G. Ghahremani, J. L. Clements Jr., and K. Goodman, “Pneumatosis intestinalis,” Gastrointestinal Radiology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 91–105, 1977.
- V. Arena, I. Pennaccia, L. Abenavoli, et al., “... And suddenly a tree!,” International Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 19, no. 6, p. 776, 2011.
- A. Breitinger, R. Kozarek, and E. Hauptman, “Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis in Crohn's disease,” Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, vol. 57, no. 2, p. 241, 2003.
- J. Hwang, V. S. Reddy, and K. W. Sharp, “Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis with free intraperitoneal air: a case report,” American Surgeon, vol. 69, no. 4, pp. 346–349, 2003.
- D. Gelfond, S. S. Blanchard, and A. Malkani, “Pneumatosis intestinalis: a rare presentation of Crohn disease exacerbation,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 225–226, 2011.
- Y. Heng, M. D. Schuffler, R. C. Haggitt, and C. A. Rohrmann, “Pneumatosis intestinalis: a review,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 1747–1758, 1995.
- J. Jamart, “Pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis. A statistical study of 919 cases,” Acta Hepato-Gastroenterologica, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 419–422, 1979.
- B. L. Pear, “Pneumatosis intestinalis: a review,” Radiology, vol. 207, no. 1, pp. 13–20, 1998.
- D. E. Olson, Y. W. Kim, J. Ying, and L. F. Donnelly, “CT predictors for differentiating benign and clinically worrisome pneumatosis intestinalis in children beyond the neonatal period,” Radiology, vol. 253, no. 2, pp. 513–519, 2009.
- S. W. Nelson, “Extraluminal gas collections due to diseases of the gastrointestinal tract,” The American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 225–248, 1972.
- K. Johansson and E. Lindstrom, “Treatment of obstructive pneumatosis coli with endoscopic sclerotherapy: report of a case,” Diseases of the Colon and Rectum, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 94–96, 1991.