- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Case Reports in Surgery
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 125095, 3 pages
Amyand’s Hernia: A Serendipitous Diagnosis
Department of Surgery, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 719 Umbilo Road, Congella 4013, Durban, South Africa
Received 24 February 2013; Accepted 20 March 2013
Academic Editors: C. Barnett, I. K. Komenaka, C. Schmitz, and A. Spinelli
Copyright © 2013 S. Mewa Kinoo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Amyand, “Of an inguinal rupture, with a pin in the appendix caeci incrusted with stone, and some observations on wound in the guts,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society (London), vol. 39, pp. 329–342, 1736.
- A. L. Komorowski and J. M. Rodriguez, “Amyand's hernia. Historical perspective and current considerations,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 109, no. 4, pp. 563–564, 2009.
- J. E. Losanoff and M. D. Basson, “Amyand hernia: what lies beneath—a proposed classification scheme to determine management,” American Surgeon, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1288–1290, 2007.
- J. E. Losanoff and M. D. Basson, “Amyand hernia: a classification to improve management,” Hernia, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 325–326, 2008.
- S. Gupta, R. Sharma, and R. Kaushik, “Left-sided Amyand's hernia,” Singapore Medical Journal, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 424–425, 2005.
- G. D. Bakhshi, A. H. Bhandarwar, and A. A. Govila, “Acute appendicitis in left scrotum,” Indian Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 23, no. 5, p. 195, 2004.
- R. A. Khan, S. Wahab, and I. Ghani, “Left-sided strangulated Amyand's hernia presenting as testicular torsion in an infant,” Hernia, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 83–84, 2011.
- H. G. Johari, S. Paydar, S. Zeraatian, N. Davani, S. Eskandari, and M. G. Johari, “Left-sided Amyand hernia,” Annals of Saudi Medicine, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 321–322, 2009.
- N. Gupta, T. R. V. Wilkinson, A. Wilkinson, and M. Akhtar, “Left-sided incarcerated Amyand's hernia,” Indian Journal of Surgery, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 17–18, 2007.
- M. B. Tayade, G. D. Bakhshi, and A. D. Borisa, “A rare combination of left sided Amyand’s and Richter’s hernia,” Bombay Hospital Journal, vol. 50, pp. 644–645, 2008.
- S. Breitenstein, C. Eisenbach, G. Wille, and M. Decurtins, “Incarcerated vermiform appendix in a left-sided inguinal hernia,” Hernia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 100–102, 2005.
- P. Ravishankaran, G. Mohan, A. Srinivasan, et al., “Left sided Amyand’s hernia, a rare occurance: a case report,” Indian Journal of Surgery, 2010.
- K. Singh, R. R. Singh, and S. Kaur, “Amyand's hernia,” Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 171–172, 2011.
- A. Ghafouri, T. Anbara, and R. Foroutankia, “A rare case report of appendix and cecum in the sac of left inguinal hernia (left Amyand’s hernia),” Medical Journal of Islamic Republic of Iran, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 94–95, 2012.
- K. A. Malik, “Left sided Amyand’s hernia,” Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan, vol. 20, no. 7, pp. 480–481, 2010.
- L. C. Carey, “Acute appendicitis occurring in hernias: a report of 10 cases,” Surgery, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 236–238, 1967.
- J. S. Luchs, D. Halpern, and D. S. Katz, “Amyand's hernia: prospective CT diagnosis,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 884–886, 2000.