- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 576471, 4 pages
Effect of Cultivar and Planting Time on Resistant Starch Accumulation in Pigeonpea Grown in Virginia
Agricultural Research Station, Virginia State University, P.O. Box 9061, Petersburg, VA 23806, USA
Received 9 July 2012; Accepted 5 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. Berville, S. Thompson, and M. Zhou
Copyright © 2012 Satya S. Narina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Higdon, An Evidence-Based Approach to Dietary Phytochemicals, Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- I. R. Abbas and J. W. Berry, “Tepary bean starch. Part 1. Physico-chemical properties,” Starch, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 195–199, 1986.
- FAO/WHO (Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization), “Carbohydrates in human nutrition,” Report of a Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation. FAO Food and Nutrition Paper 66, Rome, Italy, 1998.
- J. A. Monro and M. Shaw, “Glycemic impact, glycemic glucose equivalents, glycemic index, and glycemic load: definitions, distinctions, and implications,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 237S–243S, 2008.
- M. G. Sajilata, R. S. Singhal, and P. R. Kulkarni, “Resistant starch—a review,” Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2006.
- K. Saxena, R. Kumar, and R. Sultana, “Quality nutrition through pigeonpea—a review,” Health, vol. 2, pp. 1335–1344, 2010.
- G. Liversey, “Energy value of resistant starch,” in Proceedings of the Concluding Plenary Meeting of Euresta, G. Asp, J. M. M. Van Amelsvoort, and J. G. A. J. Hautvast, Eds., pp. 56–62, Wageningen, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 1994.
- M. Kaur and K. S. Sandhu, “In vitro digestibility, structural and functional properties of starch from pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) cultivars grown in India,” Food Research International, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 263–268, 2010.
- K. S. Sandhu and S. T. Lim, “Digestibility of legume starches as influenced by their physical and structural properties,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 245–252, 2008.
- D. Katyal, P. S. Ghugre, and S. A. Udipi, “Resistant starch in selected raw and processed legumes,” Journal of Food Science and Technology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 506–510, 2005.
- M. J. Periago, G. Ros, and J. L. Casas, “Non-starch polysaccharides and in vitro starch digestibility of raw and cooked chick peas,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 93–96, 1997.
- I. R. Abbas, J. C. Scheerens, and J. W. Berry, “Tepary bean starch Part III: in vitro digestibility,” Starch, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 280–284, 1987.
- W. Horwitz and Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Official Methods of Analysis, AOAC International, Gaithersburg, Md, USA, 17th edition, 2000.
- Y. Xu, E. N. Sismour, S. S. Narina, D. Dean, and H. L. Bhardwaj, “Compositions and physicochemical properties of seeds and starches from Virginia-grown chickpea(Cicer arietinum L.) cultivars,” International Journal of Food Science and Technology. In press.
- R. C. Eerlingen, I. Van den Broeck, J. A. Delcour, and H. Levine, “Enzyme resistant starch. VI. Influence of sugars on resistant starch formation,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 70, article 345, 1994.
- D. Sievert and Y. Pomeranz, “Enzyme-resistant starch II. Characterization and evaluation by enzymatic, thermoanalytical and microscopic methods,” Cereal Chemistry, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 342–347, 1989.