- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Analytical Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 861851, 7 pages
Spectrophotometric Determination of Bromhexine HCl in Pure and Pharmaceutical Forms
1Department of Chemistry, Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad 500085, India
2Department of Chemistry, Nizam College, Hyderabad 500001, India
Received 8 June 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editors: E. Billiot, S. Göktürk, and D. Patra
Copyright © 2013 K. Susmitha et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Parvez, M. Vaidya, A. Sakhardande, S. Subburaj, and T. G. Rajagopalan, “Evaluation of antitussive agents in man,” Pulmonary Pharmacology, vol. 9, no. 5-6, pp. 299–308, 1996.
- D. M. Cobbin, F. M. Elliott, and A. S. Rebuck, “The mucolytic agent bromhexine (bisolvon) in chronic lung disease. A double-blind crossover trial,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Medicine, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 137–140, 1971.
- Indian Pharmacopoeia 1996 and Addendum 2000 (Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family welfare. Controller of publications. New Delhi, India).
- British Pharmacopoeia, vol. 2, HMSO, London, UK, 1996.
- S. S. Zarapker, R. V. Rele, and V. J. Doshi, “Simple spectrophotometric methods for estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride,” Indian Drugs, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 38–41, 1988.
- M. I. R. M. Santoro, M. M. Dos Santos, and J. F. Magalhaes, “Spectrophotometric determination of bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations,” Journal of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 532–534, 1984.
- N. T. Abdel-Ghani, Y. M. Issa, and H. M. Ahmed, “Potentiometric flow injection analysis of bromhexine hydrochloride and its pharmaceutical preparation using conventional and coated wire ion-selective electrodes,” Scientia Pharmaceutica, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 121–135, 2006.
- B. P. Jensen, B. Gammelgaard, S. H. Hansen, and J. V. Andersen, “HPLC-ICP-MS compared with radiochemical detection for metabolite profiling of 3H-bromohexine in rat urine and faeces,” Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 204–209, 2005.
- H. Okamoto, T. Nakajima, Y. Ito, T. Aketo, K. Shimada, and S. Yamato, “Simultaneous determination of ingredients in a cold medicine by cyclodextrin-modified microemulsion electrokinetic chromatography,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 517–528, 2005.
- M. Pospísilová, M. Polasek, and V. Jokl, “Determination of ambroxol or bromhexine in pharmaceuticals by capillary isotachophoresis,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 421–428, 2001.
- E. V. Rao, G. R. Rao, S. Raghuveer, and P. Khadgapathi, “Gas-liquid chromatographic and ion-pair high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride and bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceuticals,” Analyst, vol. 112, no. 6, pp. 871–874, 1987.
- O.-W. Lau and Y.-M. Cheung, “Simultaneous determination of some active ingredients in cough—cold syrups by gas—liquid chromatography,” Analyst, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1349–1353, 1990.
- C. E. Uboh, J. A. Rudy, L. R. Soma et al., “Characterization of bromhexine and ambroxol in equine urine: effect of furosemide on identification and confirmation,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 1991.
- M. Turchán, P. Jara-Ulloa, S. Bollo, L. J. Nuñez-Vergara, J. A. Squella, and A. Álvarez-Lueje, “Voltammetric behaviour of bromhexine and its determination in pharmaceuticals,” Talanta, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 913–919, 2007.
- J.-P. Rauha, H. Salomies, and M. Aalto, “Simultaneous determination of bromhexine hydrochloride and methyl and propyl p-hydroxybenzoate and determination of dextromethorphan hydrobromide in cough-cold syrup by high-performance liquid chromatography,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 287–293, 1996.
- M. Vasudevan, S. Ravisankar, M. George, and J. Ravi, “Simultaneous estimation of terbutaline, bromhexine and guaiphenesin in soft gelatin capsules by HPLC method,” Indian Drugs, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 489–492, 2000.
- H. N. Dave, R. C. Mashru, and A. K. Patel, “Thin layer chromatodraphy method for the determination of ternary mixture containing salbutamol sulphate, bromhexine hydrochloride and Etofylline,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 143–148, 2010.
- A. El-Gindy, S. Emara, and H. Shaaban, “Development and validation of chemometrics-assisted spectrophotometric and liquid chromatographic methods for the simultaneous determination of two multicomponent mixtures containing bronchodilator drugs,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 973–982, 2007.
- V. Gupta, M. Verma, U. Misra, and R. K. Nema, “Simultaneous spectrophotoetric estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride and pseudoephedrine hydrochloride in tablet dosages,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 1633–1635, 2009.
- A. K. Gupta and S. G. Kaskhedikar, “Derivative spectrophotometric estimation of amoxycillin and bromhexine hydrochloride in tablets,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 977–980, 2003.
- S. K. Panda, A. K. Sharma, and L. K. Sahu, “Simultaneous analysis of phenylpropanolamine, chlorpheniramine and bromhexine in syrups by derivative spectrophotometry,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 540–544, 2002.
- S. Gangwal and P. Trivedi, “Simultaneous determination of terbutaline sulphate, bromhexine hydrochloride and guaiphenesin in three-component tablet formulation by UV spectrophotometry,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 61, no. 1–6, pp. 128–130, 1999.
- X. Song, X. Wang, and D. Ze, “Determination of aminophylline and bromhexine hydrochloride in Dingchuanzhike tablets by UV spectrophotometry,” Zhongguo Yaoke Daxue Xuebao, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 100–102, 1999.
- S. V. Murali Mohan Rao, I. Nageswara Rao, T. Rama Subba Reddy, and C. S. P. Sastry, “Assay of bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulations by extraction spectrophotometry,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 170–174, 2005.
- S. V. Murali Mohan Rao, U. Viplava Prasad, I. Nageswara Rao, and M. Satya Babu, “Sensitive spectrophotometric methods for the determination of bromhexine hydrochloride,” Acta Ciencia Indica, Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 105–108, 2004.
- S. Kanna Babu, P. A. V. Ganapathi, N. V. S. N. Raju, and G. MadhuKumar, “Spectrophotometric estimation of bromhexine hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations,” Eastern Pharmacist, vol. 42, no. 493, pp. 135–136, 1999.
- J. C. Miller and J. N. Miller, Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry, Harlow, England, 2005.
- P. Job, Analytica Chimica Acta 16 ,1936, in Advanced Physicochemical Experiments, Oliner and Boyd, Edinburgh, UK, 2nd edition.
- J. Rose, Advanced Physicochemical Experiments, Pitman, London, UK, 1964.
- W. Likussar and D. F. Boltz, “Theory of continuous variations plots and a new method for spectrophotometric determination of extraction and formation constants,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1265–1272, 1971.
- K. Momoki, J. Sekino, H. Sato, and N. Yamaguchi, “Theory of curved molar ratio plots and a new linear plotting method,” Analytical Chemistry, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1286–1299, 1969.
- H. A. Benesi and J. H. Hildebrand, “A spectrophotometric investigation of the interaction of iodine with aromatic hydrocarbons,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 71, no. 8, pp. 2703–2707, 1949.
- International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) of Technical Requirement for the Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use, Validation of analytical procedures: definitions and Terminology Genera, 1996.