- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Applied Mathematics
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 391974, 14 pages
An Algorithm for the Strong-Coupling of the Fluid-Structure Interaction Using a Staggered Approach
School of Mathematical Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Private Bag X01, Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg 3209, South Africa
Received 10 February 2012; Accepted 1 March 2012
Academic Editors: H. Homeier and C. Lu
Copyright © 2012 Josè C. Pedro and P. Sibanda. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Soulaïmani, Z. Feng, and A. B. H. Ali, “Solution techniques for multi-physics problems with application to computational nonlinear aeroelasticity,” Nonlinear Analysis, Theory, Methods and Applications, vol. 63, no. 5–7, pp. e1585–e1595, 2005.
- G. P. Guruswamy, “A review of numerical fluids/structures interface methods for computations using high-fidelity equations,” Computers and Structures, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 31–41, 2002.
- E. Lefrançois and J.-P. Boufflet, “An introduction to fluid-structure interaction: application to the piston problem,” SIAM Review, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 747–767, 2010.
- C. Farhat, K. G. van der Zee, and P. Geuzaine, “Provably second-order time-accurate loosely-coupled solution algorithms for transient nonlinear computational aeroelasticity,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 195, no. 17-18, pp. 1973–2001, 2006.
- C. Farhat and M. Lesoinne, “Two efficient staggered algorithms for the serial and parallel solution of three-dimensional nonlinear transient aeroelastic problems,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 182, no. 3-4, pp. 499–515, 2000.
- F. J. Blom, “A monolithical fluid-structure interaction algorithm applied to the piston problem,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 167, no. 3-4, pp. 369–391, 1998.
- C. Farhat, “High performance simulation of coupled nonlinear transient aeroelastic problems,” AGARD Report R-807, Cosmase Course, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1995.
- C. Farhat and T. Y. Lin, “A structure attached corotational fluid grid for transient aeroelastic compu- tations,” AIAA Journal, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 597–599, 1993.
- F. J. Blom and P. Leyland, “Analysis of fluid-structure interaction by means of dynamic unstructured meshes,” in Proceedings of the 4th International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Expositionon Fluid-Structure Interaction, Aeroelasticity, Flow-Induced Vibrations and Noise, Paudoussis, et al., Ed., vol. 53-1, pp. 3–10, Dallas, Tex, USA, 1997.
- S. Piperno, Simulation numéric de phénomènes d'interaction fluid-structure [Ph.D. thesis], Ecole Nationale Des Ponts et Chausses, 1995.
- S. Piperno, “Two-dimensional Euler aeroelastic simulations with interface matching relaxation,” in Proceedings of the 2nd ECCOMAS Conference on Numerical Methods in Engineering, pp. 898–904, 1996.
- B. B. Prananta, M. H. L. Hounjet, and R. J. Zwaan, “Thin layer Navier Stokes and its application for aeroelastic analysis of an airfoil in transonic flow,” in Proceedings of the International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics, Manchester, UK, 1996.
- B. B. Prananta and M. H. L. Hounjet, “Aeroelastic simulation with advanced CFD methods in 2D and 3D transonic flow,” in Proceedings of the Unsteady Aerodynamics Conference Royal Aeronautical Socuiety, London, UK, 1996.
- R. D. Rausch, J. T. Batina, and H. T. Y. Yang, “Euler flutter analysis of airfoils using unstructured dynamic meshes,” Journal of Aircraft, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 436–443, 1990.
- F. J. Blom and P. Leyland, “Analysis of fluid-structure interaction on moving airfoils by means of an improved ALE-method,” AIAA Paper number 97-1770, 1997.
- S. Piperno, “Staggered time-integration methods for a one-dimensional Euler aeroelastic problem,” Raport de Recherche CERMICS number 94-33, 1994.
- R. Fazio and R. J. LeVeque, “Moving-mesh methods for one-dimensional hyperbolic problems using CLAWPACK,” Computers & Mathematics with Applications, vol. 45, no. 1–3, pp. 273–298, 2003.
- A. Chertock and A. Kurganov, “A simple Eulerian finite-volume method for compressible fluids in domains with moving boundaries,” Communications in Mathematical Sciences, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 531–556, 2008.
- R. Borsche, R. M. Colombo, and M. Garavello, “On the coupling of systems of hyperbolic conservation laws with ordinary differential equations,” Nonlinearity, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 2749–2770, 2010.
- O. O. Bendiksen, “A New Approach to Computational Aeroelasticity,” AIAA Paper number 91-0939-CP, 1991.
- B. B. Prananta and M. H. L. Hounjet, “Large time step aero-structural coupling procedures for aeroelastic simulation,” in Proceedings of the International Forum on Aeroelasticity and structural Dynamics, vol. 2, pp. 63–70, Rome, Italy, 1997.
- A. H. Van Zuijlen and H. Bijl, “Implicit and explicit higher order time integration schemes for structural dynamics and fluid-structure interaction computations,” Computers and Structures, vol. 83, no. 2-3, pp. 93–105, 2005.
- V. Jean-Mark, D. V. Pascal, H. Charles, and L. Benoit, “Strong coupling algorithm to solve fluid-structure interaction problems with a staggered approach,” Report, Open Engineering SA, 2009.
- S. Piperno, “Explicit/implicit fluid/structure staggered procedures with a structural predictor and fluid subcycling for 2D inviscid aeroelastic simulations,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1207–1226, 1997.
- C. Michler, S. J. Hulshoff, E. H. van Brummelen, and R. de Borst, “A monolithic approach to fluid-structure interaction,” Computers and Fluids, vol. 33, no. 5-6, pp. 839–848, 2004.
- C. Farhat, P. Geuzaine, and C. Grandmont, “The discrete geometric conservation law and the nonlinear stability of ALE schemes for the solution of flow problems on moving grids,” Journal of Computational Physics, vol. 174, no. 2, pp. 669–694, 2001.
- R. Löhner, Applied Computational Fluid Dynamics Techniques: An Introduction Based on Finite Element Methods, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 2008.
- L. Bardella and F. Genna, “Newmark's time integration method from the discretization of extended functionals,” Transactions of the ASME on Journal of Applied Mechanics, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 527–537, 2005.
- D. S. Burnett, Finite Element Analysis, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Mass, USA, 1987.
- E. F. Toro, Riemann Solvers and Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2nd edition, 1999.