- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Astronomy and Astrophysics
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 131473, 10 pages
Understanding Gravity: Some Extra-Dimensional Perspectives
1School of Physics, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad 500 046, India
2Department of Physics, Baylor University, Waco, TX 76798-7316, USA
Received 4 November 2011; Accepted 13 December 2011
Academic Editor: T. Boller
Copyright © 2011 V. H. Satheeshkumar and P. K. Suresh. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Newton, The Principia: Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, Translated by I. Bernard Cohen, Anne Whitman and Julia Budenz, University of California Press, Berkeley, Calif, USA, 1999.
- A. Einstein, The Meaning of Relativity, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1966.
- C. W. F. Everitt, D. B. Debra, B. W. Parkinson et al., “Gravity probe B: final results of a space experiment to test general relativity,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 106, no. 22, 2011.
- M. Pitkin, S. Reid, S. Rowan, and J. Hough, “Gravitational wave detection by interferometry (ground and space),” Living Reviews in Relativity, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1–75, 2011.
- D. J. Kapner, T. S. Cook, E. G. Adelberger et al., “Tests of the gravitational inverse-square law below the dark-energy length scale,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 98, no. 2, Article ID 021101, 2007.
- A. O. Sushkov, W. J. Kim, D. A. R. Dalvit, and S. K. Lamoreaux, “New experimental limits on non-Newtonian forces in the micrometer range,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 107, no. 17, Article ID 171101, 2011.
- CMS Collaboration, “Search for large extra dimensions in the diphoton final state at the large hadron collider,” Journal of High Energy Physics, vol. 2011, no. 5, Article ID 1105, p. 85, 2011.
- R. Franceschini, P. P. Giardino, G. F. Giudice, P. Lodone, and A. Strumia, “LHC bounds on large extra dimensions,” Journal of High Energy Physics, vol. 2011, no. 5, Article ID 1105, p. 92, 2011.
- V. H. Satheeshkumar and P. K. Suresh, Are We Living in a Higher Dimensional Universe?Cornell University Library, Ithaca, NY, USA, 2005.
- Th. Kaluza, “Zum unitätsproblem der physik,” Sitzungsberichte der Preussischen Akademie der Wissenschaften Physikalisch-mathematischer Klasse, pp. 966–972, 1921.
- O. Klein, “Quantum theory and five-dimensional theory of relativity,” Zeitschrift fur Physik, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 895–906, 1926.
- O. Klein, “The atomicity of electricity as a quantum theory law,” Nature, vol. 118, no. 2971, pp. 516–517, 1926.
- G. Nordström, “Über die möglichkeit, das elektromagnetische feld und das gravitationsfeld zu vereinigen,” Physikalische Zeitschrift, vol. 15, pp. 504–506, 1914.
- M. J. Duff, Kaluza-Klein Theory in Perspective, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA, 1994.
- M. J. Duff, “Kaluza-Klein theories,” in An Introduction to Kaluza-Klein Theories, H. C. Lee, Ed., vol. 280, pp. 185–232, World Scientific, Singapore, 1984.
- V. H. SatheeshKumar and P. K. Suresh, Gravitons in Kaluza-Klein Theory, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA, 2006.
- A. Salam and J. Strathdee, “On Kaluza-Klein theory,” Annals of Physics, vol. 141, no. 2, pp. 316–352, 1982.
- J. M. Overduin and P. S. Wesson, “Kaluza-Klein gravity,” Physics Report, vol. 283, no. 5-6, pp. 303–378, 1997.
- E. Witten, “Search for a realistic Kaluza-Klein theory,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 186, no. 3, pp. 412–428, 1981.
- K. Becker, M. Becker, and J. H. Schwarz, String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
- I. Vendramin, “On the dynamical symmetry of the nonisotropic oscillators,” Nuovo Cimento A, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 190–192, 1968.
- M. A. Virasoro, “Alternative constructions of crossing-symmetric amplitudes with regge behavior,” Physical Review, vol. 177, no. 5, pp. 2309–2311, 1969.
- Y. Nambu, Proceedings of the International Conference on Symmetries and Quark Models, Wayne State University, Detroit, Mich, USA, 1969.
- H. B. Nielsen, Proceedings of 15th International Conference on High Energy Physics, Kiev, Naukova Dunika, Kiev, Ukraine, 1970.
- L. Susskind, “Dual symmetric theory of hadrons,” IL Nuovo Cimento A, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 457–496, 1970.
- P. Goddard, J. Goldstone, C. Rebbi, and C. B. Thorn, “Quantum dynamics of a massless relativistic string,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 109–135, 1973.
- J. Scherk and J. H. Schwarz, “Dual models for non-hadrons,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 118–144, 1974.
- T. Yoneya, “Connection of dual models to electrodynamics and gravidynamics,” Progress of Theoretical Physics, vol. 51, no. 6, pp. 1907–1920, 1974.
- E. Witten, “Magic, mystery, and matrix,” Notices of the American Mathematical Society, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1124–1129, 1998.
- P. Horava and E. Witten, “Eleven-dimensional supergravity on a manifold with boundary,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 475, no. 1-2, pp. 94–114, 1996.
- P. Horava and E. Witten, “Heterotic and type I string dynamics from eleven dimensions,” Nuclear Physics B, vol. 460, no. 3, pp. 506–524, 1996.
- V. A. Rubakov and M. E. Shaposhnikov, “Do we live inside a domain wall?” Physics Letters B, vol. 125, no. 2-3, pp. 136–138, 1983.
- K. Akama, “An early proposal of brane world,” Lecture Notes in Physics, vol. 176, pp. 267–271, 1982.
- G. R. Dvali and M. A. Shiffman, “Domain walls in strongly coupled theories,” Physical Letters B, vol. 407, no. 3-4, pp. 64–69, 1997.
- J. Polchinski, “Dirichlet branes and Ramond-Ramond charges,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 75, no. 26, pp. 4724–4727, 1995.
- G. Gabadadze, “ICTP lectures on large extra dimensions,” Tech. Rep. CERN-TH/2003-157, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, USA, 2003.
- N. Arkani-Hamed, S. Dimopoulos, and G. Dvali, “The hierarchy problem and new dimensions at a millimeter,” Physics Letters B, vol. 429, no. 3-4, pp. 263–272, 1998.
- I. Antoniadis, N. Arkani-Hamed, S. Dimopoulos, and G. Dvali, “New dimensions at a millimeter to a fermi and superstrings at a TeV,” Physics Letters B, vol. 436, no. 3-4, pp. 257–263, 1998.
- S. Cullen and M. Perelstein, “SN 1987A constraints on large compact dimensions,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 268–271, 1999.
- L. J. Hall and D. Smith, “Cosmological constraints on theories with large extra dimensions,” Physical Review D, vol. 60, no. 8, Article ID 085008, pp. 1–5, 1999.
- V. D. Barger, T. Han, C. Kao, and R. J. Zhang, “Astrophysical constraints on large extra dimensions,” Physics Letters B, vol. 461, no. 1-2, pp. 34–42, 1999.
- V. H. SatheeshKumar, P. K. Suresh, and P. K. Das, “Supernovae as probes of extra dimensions,” AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 939, pp. 258–262, 2007.
- V. H. Satheeshkumar and P. K. Suresh, “Bounds on large extra dimensions from the photon fusion process in SN1987A,” Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics, vol. 2008, no. 6, p. 011, 2008.
- P. K. Das, V. H. Satheeshkumar, and P. K. Suresh, “Plasmon annihilation into Kaluza-Klein gravitons: new astrophysical constraints on large extra dimensions?” Physical Review D, vol. 78, no. 6, Article ID 063011, 2008.
- L. Randall and R. Sundrum, “An alternative to compactification,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 23, pp. 4690–4693, 1999.
- L. Randall and R. Sundrum, “Large mass hierarchy from a small extra dimension,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 83, no. 17, pp. 3370–3373, 1999.
- G. Dvali, G. Gabadadze, and M. Porrati, “4D gravity on a brane in 5D Minkowski space,” Physics Letters B, vol. 485, no. 1–3, pp. 208–214, 2000.
- T. Appelquist, H. C. Cheng, and B. A. Dobrescu, “Bounds on universal extra dimensions,” Physical Review D, vol. 64, no. 3, Article ID 035002, 2001.