- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 947872, 5 pages
Particle Adhesion Measurements on Insect Wing Membranes Using Atomic Force Microscopy
1Centre for Biodiscovery and Molecular Development of Therapeutics and School of Pharmacy and Molecular Sciences,
James Cook University, Townsville, QLD 4811, Australia
2Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis and School of Biological Sciences, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, QLD 4072, Australia
Received 21 July 2012; Accepted 8 August 2012
Academic Editors: E. Dague, M. P. Evstigneev, and S. Kasas
Copyright © 2012 Gregory S. Watson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. F. V. Vincent and U. G. K. Wegst, “Design and mechanical properties of insect cuticle,” Arthropod Structure and Development, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 187–199, 2004.
- G. S. Watson, B. W. Cribb, and J. A. Watson, “How micro/nanoarchitecture facilitates anti-wetting: an elegant hierarchical design on the termite wing,” ACS Nano, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 129–136, 2010.
- G. S. Watson, S. Myhra, B. W. Cribb, and J. A. Watson, “Putative functions and functional efficiency of ordered cuticular nanoarrays on insect wings,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 94, no. 8, pp. 3352–3360, 2008.
- T. Wagner, C. Neinhuis, and W. Barthlott, “Wettability and contaminability of insect wings as a function of their surface sculptures,” Acta Zoologica, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 213–225, 1996.
- A. R. Parker and C. R. Lawrence, “Water capture by a desert beetle,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6859, pp. 33–34, 2001.
- A. M. Knaapen, P. J. A. Borm, C. Albrecht, and R. P. F. Schins, “Inhaled particles and lung cancer. Part A: mechanisms,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 799–809, 2004.
- H. F. Linskens and M. Cresti, “Pollen-allergy as an ecological phenomenon: a review,” Plant Biosystems, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 341–352, 2000.
- J. L. Smith and K. Lee, “Soil as a source of dust and implications for human health,” Advances in Agronomy, vol. 80, pp. 1–32, 2003.
- M. Ding, F. Chen, X. Shi, B. Yucesoy, B. Mossman, and V. Vallyathan, “Diseases caused by silica: mechanisms of injury and disease development,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 2, no. 2-3, pp. 173–182, 2002.
- G. S. Watson, B. P. Dinte, J. A. Blach-Watson, and S. Myhra, “Friction measurements using force versus distance friction loops in force microscopy,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 235, no. 1-2, pp. 38–42, 2004.
- G. S. Watson, J. A. Blach, C. Cahill et al., “Interactions of poly(amino acids) in aqueous solution with charged model surfaces—analysis by colloidal probe,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1355–1362, 2004.
- J. P. Cleveland, S. Manne, D. Bocek, and P. K. Hansma, “A nondestructive method for determining the spring constant of cantilevers for scanning force microscopy,” Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 403–405, 1993.
- H. Ghiradella, “Structure of butterfly scales: patterning in an insect cuticle,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 429–438, 1994.
- S. N. Gorb, Attachment Devices of Insect Cuticle, Kluwer Academic Publishers, New York, NY, USA, 2001.
- P. Vukusic and J. R. Sambles, “Photonic structures in biology,” Nature, vol. 424, no. 6950, pp. 852–855, 2003.
- Q. Cong, G.-H Chen, Y. Fang, and L.-Q. Ren, “Study on the Super-hydrophobic characteristic of butterfly wing surface,” Journal of Bionics Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 249–255, 2004.
- G. S. Watson and J. A. Watson, “Natural nano-structures on insects - Possible functions of ordered arrays characterized by atomic force microscopy,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 235, no. 1-2, pp. 139–144, 2004.
- G. S. Watson, B. W. Cribb, and J. A. Watson, “Contrasting micro/nano architecture on termite wings: two divergent strategies for optimising success of colonisation flights,” Plos ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e24368, 2011.
- B. J. R. Thio, J.-H. Lee, and J. C. Meredith, “Characterization of ragweed pollen adhesion to polyamides and polystyrene using atomic force microscopy,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 4308–4313, 2009.