- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 736314, 7 pages
Predictors of Metabolic Syndrome in Participants of a Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
1Department of Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, V5A 156, Canada
2Healthy Heart Program, St. Paul’s Hospital, Providence Health Care, Vancouver, BC, V6Z 1Y6, Canada
3Faculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University, Harbour Centre Campus, Vancouver, BC, V6B 5K3, Canada
Received 12 December 2011; Accepted 19 January 2012
Academic Editor: A. Bobik
Copyright © 2012 Alejandra Farias Godoy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Grundy, J. I. Cleeman, S. R. Daniels et al., “Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute scientific statement—executive summary,” Critical Pathways in Cardiology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 198–203, 2005.
- E. S. Ford, “Risks for all-cause mortality, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes associated with the metabolic syndrome: a summary of the evidence,” Diabetes Care, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 1769–1778, 2005.
- P. Zimmet, D. Magliano, Y. Matsuzawa, G. Alberti, and J. Shaw, “The metabolic syndrome: a global public health problem and a new definition,” Journal of Atherosclerosis and Thrombosis., vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 295–300, 2005.
- B. Hu, Y. Zhou, Y. Liu et al., “Impact of metabolic syndrome on clinical outcomes after drug-eluting stent implantation in patients with coronary artery disease,” Angiology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 440–446, 2011.
- K. J. Hunt, R. G. Resendez, K. Williams, S. M. Haffner, and M. P. Stern, “National Cholesterol Education Program versus World Health Organization metabolic syndrome in relation to all-cause and cardiovascular mortality in the San Antonio heart study,” Circulation, vol. 110, no. 10, pp. 1251–1257, 2004.
- O. C. Marroquin, K. E. Kip, D. E. Kelley et al., “Metabolic syndrome modifies the cardiovascular risk associated with angiographic coronary artery disease in women: a report from the Women's ischemia syndrome evaluation,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 714–721, 2004.
- S. S. Anand, Q. Yi, H. Gerstein et al., “Relationship of metabolic syndrome and fibrinolytic dysfunction to cardiovascular disease,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 420–425, 2003.
- C. J. Lavie and R. V. Milani, “Cardiac rehabilitation and exercise training programs in metabolic syndrome and diabetes,” Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 59–66, 2005.
- G. J. Balady, M. A. Williams, P. A. Ades et al., “Core components of cardiac rehabilita tion/secondary prevention programs: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Exercise, Cardiac Rehabilitation, and Prevention Committee, the Council on Clinical Cardiology; the Councils on Cardiovascular Nursing, Epidemiology and Prevention, and Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism; and the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation,” Circulation, vol. 115, no. 20, pp. 2675–2682, 2007.
- P. D. Savage, J. A. Banzer, G. J. Balady, and P. A. Ades, “Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in cardiac rehabilitation/secondary prevention programs,” American Heart Journal, vol. 149, no. 4, pp. 627–631, 2005.
- S. A. Lear, J. J. Spinelli, W. Linden et al., “The Extensive Lifestyle Management Intervention (ELMI) after cardiac rehabilitation: a 4-year randomized controlled trial,” American Heart Journal, vol. 152, no. 2, pp. 333–339, 2006.
- K. G. M. M. Alberti, R. H. Eckel, S. M. Grundy et al., “Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the international diabetes federation task force on epidemiology and prevention; National heart, lung, and blood institute; American heart association; World heart federation; International atherosclerosis society; And international association for the study of obesity,” Circulation, vol. 120, no. 16, pp. 1640–1645, 2009.
- C. W. Callaway, W. C. Chumlea, C. Bouchard, et al., “Circumferences,” in Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, pp. 39–54, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1998.
- C. McGuinness, D. W. Seccombe, J. J. Frohlich, C. Ehnholm, J. Sundvall, and G. Steiner, “Laboratory standardization of a large international clinical trial: the DAIS experience,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 15–24, 2000.
- W. T. Friedewald, R. I. Levy, and D. S. Fredrickson, “Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 499–502, 1972.
- R. Schwarzer, “Measurement of perceived self-efficacy,” Tech. Rep., Open University Press, 1995.
- M. W. Linn, “Modifiers and perceived stress scale,” Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 507–513, 1986.
- G. M. Devins, “Illness intrusiveness and the psychosocial impact of lifestyle disruptions in chronic life-threatening disease,” Advances in Renal Replacement Therapy, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 251–263, 1994.
- C. S. Fox, J. M. Massaro, U. Hoffmann et al., “Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the framingham heart study,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2007.
- T. Hayashi, E. J. Boyko, D. L. Leonetti et al., “Visceral adiposity is an independent predictor of incident hypertension in Japanese Americans,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 140, no. 12, pp. 992–1000, 2004.
- L. E. Wagenknecht, C. D. Langefeld, A. L. Scherzinger et al., “Insulin sensitivity, insulin secretion, and abdominal fat: the Insulin Resistance Atherosclerosis Study (IRAS) family study,” Diabetes, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 2490–2496, 2003.
- M. C. Pouliot, J. P. Despres, S. Lemieux et al., “Waist circumference and abdominal sagittal diameter: best simple anthropometric indexes of abdominal visceral adipose tissue accumulation and related cardiovascular risk in men and women,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 460–468, 1994.
- S. C. Smith and D. Haslam, “Abdominal obesity, waist circumference and cardiometabolic risk: awareness among primary care physicians, the general population and patients at risk—the shape of the nations survey,” Current Medical Research and Opinion, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 29–47, 2007.
- S. M. Moore, C. M. Ruland, F. J. Pashkow, and G. G. Blackburn, “Women's patterns of exercise following cardiac rehabilitation,” Nursing Research, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 318–324, 1998.
- “Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults—the evidence report, National Institutes of Health,” Obesity Research, vol. 6, supplement 2, pp. 51S–209S, 1998.
- D. A. Anderson and T. A. Wadden, “Treating the obese patient suggestions for primary care practice,” Archives of Family Medicine, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 156–167, 1999.
- N. A. King, P. Caudwell, M. Hopkins et al., “Metabolic and behavioral compensatory responses to exercise interventions: barriers to weight loss,” Obesity, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1373–1383, 2007.
- V. Mujica, A. Urzúa, E. Leiva et al., “Intervention with education and exercise reverses the metabolic syndrome in adults,” Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 148–153, 2010.
- W. C. Knowler, E. Barrett-Connor, S. E. Fowler et al., “Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 6, pp. 393–403, 2002.
- J. Myers, M. Prakash, V. Froelicher, D. Do, S. Partington, and J. Edwin Atwood, “Exercise capacity and mortality among men referred for exercise testing,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 346, no. 11, pp. 793–801, 2002.
- E. S. Nylen, P. Kokkinos, J. Myers, and C. Faselis, “Prognostic effect of exercise capacity on mortality in older adults with diabetes mellitus,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1850–1854, 2010.