Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 916367, 5 pages
Kinetics of Pitting Dissolution of Austenitic Stainless Steel 304 in Sodium Chloride Solution
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Alexandria University, Ibrahimia, P.O. Box 426, Alexandria 21321, Egypt
Received 26 July 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editors: S. Umoren and R. Wang
Copyright © 2012 M. Saadawy. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Sedriks, Corrosion of Stainless Steels, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1996.
- A. Fossati, F. Borgioli, E. Galvanetto, and T. Bacci, “Corrosion resistance properties of glow-discharge nitrided AISI 316L austenitic stainless steel in NaCl solutions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 1513–1527, 2006.
- Q. Yang and J. L. Luo, “Effects of hydrogen and tensile stress on the breakdown of passive films on type 304 stainless steel,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 46, pp. 851–859, 2001.
- E. A. Abd El Meguid, N. A. Mahmoud, and S. S. Abd El Rehim, “Effect of some sulphur compounds on the pitting corrosion of type 304 stainless steel,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 67–74, 2000.
- S. S. El-Egamy and W. A. Badway, “Passivity and passivity breakdown of 304 stainless steel in alkaline sodium sulphate solutions,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 34, no. 11, pp. 1153–1158, 2004.
- R. Wang and M. Kido, “Influence of input power to vibrator and vibrator-to-specimen distance of ultrasound on pitting corrosion of SUS304 stainless steel in 3.5% chloride sodium aqueous solution,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 1604–1610, 2009.
- P. Q. Zhang, J. X. Wu, W. Q. Zhang, X. Y. Lu, and K. Wang, “A pitting mechanism for passive 304 stainless steel in sulphuric acid media containing chloride ions,” Corrosion Science, vol. 34, no. 8, pp. 1343–1349, 1993.
- E. Blasco-Tamarit, D. M. Garcia-Garcia, and J. Garcia Anton, “Imposed potential measurements to evaluate the pitting corrosion resistance and the galvanic behaviour of a highly alloyed austenitic stainless steel and its weldment in a LiBr solution at temperatures up to 150 °C,” Corrosion Science, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 784–795, 2011.
- P. C. Pistorius and G. T. Burstein, “Growth of corrosion pits on stainless steel in chloride solution containing dilute sulphate,” Corrosion Science, vol. 33, pp. 1885–1897, 1992.
- Yu. Zuo, H. Wang, J. Zhao, and J. Xiong, “The effects of some anions on metastable pitting of 316L stainless steel,” Corrosion Science, vol. 44, pp. 13–24, 2002.
- A. M. Abdel-Gaber, B. A. Abd-El-Nabey, and M. Saadawy, “The role of acid anion on the inhibition of the acidic corrosion of steel by lupine extract,” Corrosion Science, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1038–1042, 2009.
- A. M. Abdel-Gaber, B. A. Abd-El-Nabey, I. M. Sidahmed, A. M. El-Zayady, and M. Saadawy, “Inhibitive action of some plant extracts on the corrosion of steel in acidic media,” Corrosion Science, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 2765–2779, 2006.
- A. M. Abdel-Gaber, B. A. Abd-El Nabey, I. M. Sidahmed, A. M. El-Zayady, and M. Saadawy, “Effect of temperature on inhibitive action of damsissa extract on the corrosion of steel in acidic media,” Corrosion, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 293–299, 2006.
- A. Pardo, E. Otero, M. C. Merino, M. D. López, M. V. Utrilla, and F. Moreno, “Influence of pH and chloride concentration on the pitting and crevice corrosion behavior of high-alloy stainless steels,” Corrosion, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 411–418, 2000.
- J. R. Galvele, “Transport processes and the mechanism of pitting of metals,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 464–474, 1976.
- A. M. Abdel-Gaber, B. A. Abd-El-Nabey, I. M. Sidahmed, A. M. El-Zayady, and M. Saadawy, “Kinetics and thermodynamics of aluminium dissolution in 1.0 M sulphuric acid containing chloride ions,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 98, no. 2-3, pp. 291–297, 2006.
- G. Okamoto and T. Shibata, “Stability of passive stainless steel in relation to the potential of passivation treatment,” Corrosion Science, vol. 10, pp. 371–378, 1970.