- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 290964, 5 pages
Changes in the Upper and Lower Pharyngeal Airway Spaces Associated with Rapid Maxillary Expansion
1Division of Orthodontics and Periodontics, Dental Department, Security Forces Hospital, Riyadh Colleges of Dentistry & Pharmacy, P.O. Box 84891, Riyadh 11681, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Orthodontics, School of Dental Medicine, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214-3008, USA
3Division of Orthodontics, Department of Preventive Dental Science, Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 80209, Jeddah 22254, Saudi Arabia
Received 19 March 2012; Accepted 23 April 2012
Academic Editors: M. Del Fabbro and A. Vissink
Copyright © 2012 Fitin Aloufi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. A. Cistulli, G. N. Richards, R. G. Palmisano, G. Unger, M. Berthon-Jones, and C. E. Sullivan, “Influence of maxillary constriction on nasal resistance and sleep apnea severity in patients with Marfan's syndrome,” Chest, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 1184–1188, 1996.
- P. A. Cistulli and C. E. Sullivan, “Influence of maxillary morphology on nasal airway resistance in Marfan's syndrome,” Acta Oto-Laryngologica, vol. 120, no. 3, pp. 410–413, 2000.
- A. Johal and C. Conaghan, “Maxillary morphology in obstructive sleep apnea: a cephalometric and model study,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 648–656, 2004.
- C. A. Kushida, B. Efron, and C. Guilleminault, “A predictive morphometric model for the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 127, no. 8, part 1, pp. 581–587, 1997.
- B. H. Seto, H. Gotsopoulos, M. R. Sims, and P. A. Cistulli, “Maxillary morphology in obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 703–714, 2001.
- C. Guilleminault, M. A. Quera-Salva, G. Nino-Murcia, and M. Partinen, “Central sleep apnea and partial obstruction of the upper airway,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 465–469, 1987.
- C. Guilleminault, A. Tilkian, and W. C. Dement, “The sleep apnea syndromes,” Annual Review of Medicine, vol. 27, pp. 465–484, 1976.
- U. B. Baik, M. Suzuki, K. Ikeda, J. Sugawara, and H. Mitani, “Relationship between cephalometric characteristics and obstructive sites in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 124–134, 2002.
- J. M. Battagel and P. R. L'Estrange, “The cephalometric morphology of patients with obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA),” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 557–569, 1996.
- A. A. Lowe, M. M. Özbek, K. Miyamoto, E. K. Pae, and J. A. Fleetham, “Cephalometric and demographic characteristics of obstructive sleep apnea: an evaluation with partial least squares analysis,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 143–153, 1997.
- “Sleep-related breathing disorders in adults: recommendations for syndrome definition and measurement techniques in clinical research. The report of an American Academy of Sleep Medicine task force,” Sleep, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 667–689, 1999.
- A. A. Lowe, J. D. Santamaria, J. A. Fleetham, and C. Price, “Facial morphology and obstructive sleep apnea,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 90, no. 6, pp. 484–491, 1986.
- V. Tangugsorn, O. Skatvedt, O. Krogstad, and T. Lyberg, “Obstructive sleep apnoea: a cephalometric study. Part I. Cervico-craniofacial skeletal morphology,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 45–56, 1995.
- A. J. Haas, “Palatal expansion: just the beginning of dentofacial orthopedics,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 219–255, 1970.
- A. J. Haas, “Long-term posttreatment evaluation of rapid palatal expansion,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 189–217, 1980.
- D. J. Timms, “The dawn of rapid maxillary expansion,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 247–250, 1999.
- A. J. Haas, “Rapid expansion of the maxillary dental arch and nasal cavity by opening the midpalatal suture,” Angle Orthod, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 73–90, 1961.
- H. G. Hershey, B. L. Stewart, and D. W. Warren, “Changes in nasal airway resistance associated with rapid maxillary expansion,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 274–284, 1976.
- D. J. Timms, “The effect of rapid maxillary expansion on nasal airway resistance,” British Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 221–228, 1986.
- D. W. Warren, W. M. Hairfield, D. Seaton, K. E. Morr, and L. R. Smith, “The relationship between nasal airway size and nasal-oral breathing,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 289–293, 1988.
- D. W. Warren, G. H. Hershey, T. A. Turvey, V. A. Hinton, and W. M. Hairfield, “The nasal airway following maxillary expansion,” American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 111–116, 1987.
- R. A. Wertz, “Changes in nasal airflow incident to rapid maxillary expansion,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1968.
- R. A. Wertz, “Skeletal and dental changes accompanying rapid midpalatal suture opening,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 41–66, 1970.
- J. A. McNamara, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Needham Press, Ann Arbor, Mich, USA, 2001.
- A. Jacobson and R. L. Jacobson, Radiographic Cephalometry: From Basics to 3-d Imaging, Quintessence Publishing, Chicago, Ill, USA, 2006.
- P. A. Cistulli, “Craniofacial abnormalities in obstructive sleep apnoea: implications for treatment,” Respirology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 167–174, 1996.
- R. Riley, C. Guilleminault, J. Herran, and N. Powell, “Cephalometric analyses and flow-volume loops in obstructive sleep apnea patients,” Sleep, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 303–311, 1983.
- J. D. Subtelny, “Width of the nasopharynx and related anatomic structures in normal and unoperated cleft palate children,” American Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 41, no. 12, pp. 889–909, 1955.
- G. C. Compadretti, I. Tasca, and G. A. Bonetti, “Nasal airway measurements in children treated by rapid maxillary expansion,” American Journal of Rhinology, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 385–393, 2006.
- C. Doruk, O. Sökücü, H. Sezer, and E. I. Canbay, “Evaluation of nasal airway resistance during rapid maxillary expansion using acoustic rhinometry,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 397–401, 2004.
- C. Enoki, F. C. P. Valera, F. C. R. Lessa, A. M. Elias, M. A. N. Matsumoto, and W. T. Anselmo-Lima, “Effect of rapid maxillary expansion on the dimension of the nasal cavity and on nasal air resistance,” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, vol. 70, no. 7, pp. 1225–1230, 2006.
- S. H. Lee, J. H. Choi, C. Shin, H. M. Lee, and S. Y. Kwon, “How does open-mouth breathing influence upper airway anatomy?” Laryngoscope, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 1102–1106, 2007.
- J. L. Paul and R. S. Nanda, “Effect of mouth breathing on dental occlusion,” Angle Orthodontist, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 201–206, 1973.
- S. Linder Aronson and B. C. Leighton, “A longitudinal study of the development of the posterior nasopharyngeal wall between 3 and 16 years of age,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 47–58, 1983.
- A. G. Brodie, “On the growth pattern of the human head. From the third month to the eighth year of life,” American Journal of Anatomy, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 209–262, 1941.
- E. W. King, “A roentgenographic study of pharyngeal growth,” Angle Orthod, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 23–37, 1952.
- O. Bergland, “The bony nasopharynx. A roentgen-craniometric study,” Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, vol. 21, supplement 35, pp. 31–137, 1963.
- H. H. Tsai, “Developmental changes of pharyngeal airway structures from young to adult persons,” Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 219–221, 2007.
- C. D. Johnston and A. Richardson, “Cephalometric changes in adult pharyngeal morphology,” European Journal of Orthodontics, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 357–362, 1999.