- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 460856, 6 pages
Periodontal Status amongst Substance Abusers in Indian Population
Department of Periodontics, Dr. Syamala Reddy Dental College and Research Center, SGR Institutions, Bangalore 560037, India
Received 13 January 2012; Accepted 13 February 2012
Academic Editors: H. S. Cardash and G. Sjogren
Copyright © 2012 Shantipriya Reddy et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- The ICD-10 International Classification of Diseases. Chapter V: Classification of Mental and Behavioral Disorders. Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines, World Health Organization (WHO).
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 1994.
- S. Peter, Textbook of Essentials of Preventive & Community Dentistry, Arya publications, New Delhi, India, 2nd edition, 2007.
- H. G. Carter and G. P. Barnes, “The gingival bleeding index,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 45, pp. 801–805, 1974.
- J. Ainamo and I. Bay, “Problems and proposals for recording gingivitis and plaque,” International Dental Journal, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 229–235, 1975.
- T. Rooban, A. Rao, E. Joshua, and K. Rangnathan, “Dental and oral health status in drug abusers in Chennai, India: a cross sectional study,” Journal of Oral and Maxillo Facial Pathology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 16–21, 2008.
- S. Brijender, S. Vijender, and V. Aarti, “Sociodemographic profile of substance abusers attending a de-addiction centre in Ghaziabad,” Medico-Legal Update, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 13–15, 2006.
- M. Du, R. Bedi, L. Guo, J. Champion, M. Fan, and R. Holt, “Oral health status of heroin users in a rehabilitation centre in Hubei province, China,” Community Dental Health, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 94–98, 2001.
- M. Jagadeesan, S. B. Rotti, and M. Danabalan, “Oral health status and risk factors for dental and periodontal diseases among rural women in Pondicherry,” Indian Journal of Community Medicine, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2003.
- Y. Shimazaki, T. Saito, Y. Kiyohara et al., “Relationship between drinking and periodontitis: the Hisayama study,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 1534–1541, 2005.
- H. Ogawa, A. Yoshihara, T. Hirotomi, Y. Ando, and H. Miyazaki, “Risk factors for periodontal disease progression among elderly people,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 592–597, 2002.
- I. F. Angelillo, G. M. Grasso, G. Sagliocco, P. Villari, and M. M. D'Errico, “Dental health in a group of drug addicts in Italy,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 36–37, 1991.
- S. Shapiro, B. R. Pollack, and D. Gallant, “The oral health of narcotic addicts,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 244–249, 1970.
- S. J. Silverstein, “Relation between social drug use/abuse and dental disease in California, U.S.A,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 89–93, 1973.
- D. I. Rosenstein, “Effect of long-term addiction to heroin on oral tissues,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 118–122, 1975.
- A. A. Zahrani, “Dental health status of institutionalized Saudi male chronic drug abusers,” Saudi Dental Journal, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2006.
- A. Picozzi, S. F. Dworkin, J. G. Leeds, and J. Nash, “Dental and associated attitudinal aspects of heroin addiction: a pilot study,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 51, no. 3, p. 869, 1972.
- N. Amarasena, A. N. I. Ekanayaka, L. Herath, and H. Miyazaki, “Association between smoking, betel chewing and gingival bleeding in rural Sri Lanka,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 403–408, 2003.
- K. E. Liede, J. K. Haukka, J. H. P. Hietanen, et al., “The association between smoking cessation and periodontal status and salivary proteinase levels,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 70, no. 11, pp. 1361–1368, 1999.
- N. C. Pauletto, K. Liede, A. Nieminen, et al., “Effect of cigarette smoking on oral elastase activity in adult periodontitis patients,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 58–62, 2000.
- J. Bergström and L. Boström, “Tobacco smoking and periodontal hemorrhagic responsiveness,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 680–685, 2001.