- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 624056, 7 pages
Hydroxyapatite Formation on a Novel Dental Cement in Human Saliva
Division of Applied Materials Science, Department of Engineering Sciences, The Ångström Laboratory, Uppsala University, P.O. Box 534, 751 21 Uppsala, Sweden
Received 28 June 2012; Accepted 30 August 2012
Academic Editors: A. Jäger, J. H. Jeng, and G. V. Kulkarni
Copyright © 2012 Johanna Engstrand et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Vollenweider, T. J. Brunner, S. Knecht et al., “Remineralization of human dentin using ultrafine bioactive glass particles,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 936–943, 2007.
- P. Ducheyen and L. L. Hench, “The processing and static mechanical properties of metal fibre reinforced bioglass,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 595–606, 1982.
- L. L. Hench, J. W. Hench, and D. C. Greenspan, “Bioglass: a short history and bibliography,” Journal of the Australian Ceramic Society, vol. 40, pp. 1–42, 2004.
- D. Skrtic, J. M. Antonucci, E. D. Eanes, and N. Eidelman, “Dental composites based on hybrid and surface-modified amorphous calcium phosphates,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 7-8, pp. 1141–1150, 2004.
- J. Lööf, H. Engqvist, N. O. Ahnfelt, K. Lindqvist, and L. Hermansson, “Mechanical properties of a permanent dental restorative material based on calcium aluminate,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1033–1037, 2003.
- J. Lööf, H. Engqvist, G. Gómez-Ortega, N. O. Ahnfelt, H. Spengler, and L. Hermansson, “Mechanical property aspects of a biomineral based dental restorative system,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 284–286, pp. 741–744, 2005.
- J. Engstrand, E. Unosson, and H. Engqvist, “A dental cement capable of calcium phosphate formation on its surface during water storage,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 21, p. 35, 2011.
- T. Kokubo and H. Takadama, “How useful is SBF in predicting in vivo bone bioactivity?” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 15, pp. 2907–2915, 2006.
- H.-M. Kim, T. Himeno, T. Kokubo, and T. Nakamura, “Process and kinetics of bonelike apatite formation on sintered hydroxyapatite in a simulated body fluid,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 21, pp. 4366–4373, 2005.
- H. M. Kim, “Ceramic bioactivity and related biomimetic strategy,” Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, vol. 7, no. 4-5, pp. 289–299, 2003.
- A. Faris, H. Engqvist, J. Lööf, M. Ottosson, and L. Hermansson, “In vitro bioactivity of injectable ceramic orthopaedic cements,” Key Engineering Materials, vol. 309–311, pp. 833–836, 2006.
- H. Engqvist, J. E. Schultz-Walz, J. Lööf et al., “Chemical and biological integration of a mouldable bioactive ceramic material capable of forming apatite in vivo in teeth,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 14, pp. 2781–2787, 2004.
- H. Engqvist, M. Couillard, G. A. Botton, N. Axén, N. O. Ahnfelt, and L. Hennansson, “Chemical interactions between CA-aluminate implants and bone,” in Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, pp. 549–554, January 2004.
- I. Standard, “ISO, 23317,” In Implants for surgery—In vitro evaluation for apatite-forming ability of implant materials, 2007.
- C. H. Pameijer, O. Zmener, S. A. Serrano, and F. Garcia-Godoy, “Sealing properties of a calcium aluminate luting agent,” American Journal of Dentistry, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 121–124, 2010.
- S. R. Jefferies, C. H. Pameijer, D. Appleby, D. Boston, J. Lööf, and P. O. Glantz, “One year clinical performance and post-operative sensitivity of a bioactive dental luting cement—a prospective clinical study,” Swedish Dental Journal, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 193–199, 2009.
- S. Jefferies, C. H. Pameijer, D. Appleby, and D. Boston, “One month and six month clinical performance of XeraCem,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 88, p. 3146, 2009.
- C. H. Pameijer, O. Zmener, F. Garcia-Godoy, and J. S. Alvarez-Serrano, “Sealing of XeraCem, and controls using a bacterial leakage model,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 88, p. 3145, 2009.
- S. R. Jefferies, J. Lööf,, C. H. Pameijer, D. Boston, C. Galbraith, and L. Hermansson, “Physical properties of xeraCem,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, p. 3100, 2008.
- C. H. Pameijer, S. R. Jefferies, J. Lööf, L. Hermansson, and E. Wiksell, “In vitro and in vivo biocompatibility tests of XeraCem,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, p. 3097, 2008.
- C. H. Pameijer, S. Jefferies, J. Lööf, and L. Hermansson, “Microleakage evaluation of XeraCem in cemented crowns,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, p. 3098, 2008.
- C. H. Pameijer, S. R. Jefferies, J. Lööf, and L. Hermansson, “A comparative crown retention test using XeraCem,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 87, p. 3099, 2008.
- J. Lööf, F. Svahn, T. Jarmar, H. Engqvist, and C. H. Pameijer, “A comparative study of the bioactivity of three materials for dental applications,” Dental Materials, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 653–659, 2008.
- A. Bardow, D. Moe, B. Nyvad, and B. Nauntofte, “The buffer capacity and buffer systems of human whole saliva measured without loss of CO2,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2000.
- F. M. Lea, The Chemistry of Cement and Concrete, Edward Arnold Limited, 3rd edition, 1970.
- S. A. Rodger and D. D. Double, “The chemistry of hydration of high alumina cement in the presence of accelerating and retarding admixtures,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 73–82, 1984.
- H. J. H. Brouwers, “The work of Powers and Brownyard revisited: part 1,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 1697–1716, 2004.
- H. J. H. Brouwers, “The work of Powers and Brownyard revisited: part 2,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1922–1936, 2005.
- T. Matusinović, J. Šipušić, and N. Vrbos, “Porosity-strength relation in calcium aluminate cement pastes,” Cement and Concrete Research, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1801–1806, 2003.
- H. F. W. Taylor, Cement Chemistry, Tomas Telford Publishing, 2nd edition, 1997.
- W. Xia, C. Lindahl, J. Lausmaa et al., “Biomineralized strontium-substituted apatite/titanium dioxide coating on titanium surfaces,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1591–1600, 2010.
- A. L. Oliveira, R. L. Reis, and P. Li, “Strontium-substituted apatite coating grown on Ti6Al4V substrate through biomimetic synthesis,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 258–265, 2007.
- S. R. Jefferies, C. H. Pameijer, D. C. Appleby et al., “Prospective observation of a new bioactive luting cement: 2-year follow-up,” Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 33–41, 2011.
- C. Dawes, “Rhythms in salivary flow rate and composition,” International Journal of Chronobiology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 253–279, 1974.
- S. P. Humphrey and R. T. Williamson, “A review of saliva: normal composition, flow, and function,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 162–169, 2001.
- M. G. Gandolfi, P. Taddei, A. Tinti, and C. Prati, “Apatite-forming ability (bioactivity) of ProRoot MTA,” International Endodontic Journal, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 917–929, 2010.
- M. G. Gandolfi, P. Taddei, A. Tinti, E. S. De Dorigo, P. L. Rossi, and C. Prati, “Kinetics of apatite formation on a calcium-silicate cement for root-end filling during ageing in physiological-like phosphate solutions,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 659–668, 2010.