- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 134210, 4 pages
Pain Sensation and Postsurgical Complications in Posterior Mandibular Implant Placement Using Ridge Mapping, Panoramic Radiography, and Infiltration Anesthesia
Faculty of Dentistry, King Abdulaziz University, P.O. Box 109725, Jeddah 21351, Saudi Arabia
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 8 May 2013
Academic Editors: M. Del Fabbro, G. H. Sperber, and D. Wray
Copyright © 2013 Ali Saad Thafeed AlGhamdi. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. A. Alhassani and A. S. AlGhamdi, “Inferior alveolar nerve injury in implant dentistry: diagnosis, causes, prevention, and management,” The Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 401–407, 2010.
- A. Mehra and K. M. Pai, “Evaluation of dimensional accuracy of panoramic cross-sectional tomography, its ability to identify the inferior alveolar canal, and its impact on estimation of appropriate implant dimensions in the mandibular posterior region,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 100–111, 2009.
- R. Bartling, K. Freeman, and R. A. Kraut, “The incidence of altered sensation of the mental nerve after mandibular implant placement,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 57, no. 12, pp. 1408–1410, 1999.
- L. G. Ellies, “Altered sensation following mandibular implant surgery: a retrospective study,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 664–671, 1992.
- F. Hegedus and R. J. Diecidue, “Trigeminal nerve injuries after mandibular implant placement—practical knowledge for clinicians,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 111–116, 2006.
- S. Moon, S. J. Lee, E. Kim, and C. Y. Lee, “Hypoesthesia after IAN block anesthesia with lidocaine: management of mild to moderate nerve injury,” Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 232–235, 2012.
- G. Juodzbalys, H. L. Wang, G. Sabalys, A. Sidlauskas, and P. Galindo-Moreno, “Inferior alveolar nerve injury associated with implant surgery,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 183–190, 2011.
- A. A. Heller and W. E. Shankland II, “Alternative to the inferior alveolar nerve block anesthesia when placing mandibular dental implants posterior to the mental foramen,” The Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 127–133, 2001.
- D. S. Levitt, “Apicoectomy of an endosseous implant to relieve paresthesia: a case report,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 202–205, 2003.
- L. C. Anderson, T. F. Kosinski, and P. J. Mentag, “A review of the intraosseous course of the nerves of the mandible,” The Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 394–403, 1991.
- C. Frei, D. Buser, and K. Dula, “Study on the necessity for cross-section imaging of the posterior mandible for treatment planning of standard cases in implant dentistry,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 490–497, 2004.
- A. K. Garg and A. Vicari, “Radiographic modalities for diagnosis and treatment planning in implant dentistry,” The Implant Society, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 7–11, 1995.
- H. Tal and O. Moses, “A comparison of panoramic radiography with computed tomography in the planning of implant surgery,” Dentomaxillofacial Radiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 40–42, 1991.
- L. Vazquez, N. Saulacic, U. Belser, and J. P. Bernard, “Efficacy of panoramic radiographs in the preoperative planning of posterior mandibular implants: a prospective clinical study of 1527 consecutively treated patients,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 81–85, 2008.
- R. A. Kraut and O. Chahal, “Management of patients with trigeminal nerve injuries after mandibular implant placement,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 133, no. 10, pp. 1351–1354, 2002.
- P. Worthington, “Injury to the inferior alveolar nerve during implant placement: a formula for protection of the patient and clinician,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 731–734, 2004.
- G. Z. Xu, C. Yang, X. D. Fan et al., “Anatomic relationship between impacted third mandibular molar and the mandibular canal as the risk factor of inferior alveolar nerve injury,” The British Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, 2013.
- J. S. Seibert and D. W. Cohen, “Periodontal considerations in preparation for fixed and removable prosthodontics,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 529–555, 1987.
- D. J. Wilson, “Ridge mapping for determination of alveolar ridge width,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 41–43, 1989.
- A. S. AlGhamdi and S. G. Ciancio, “Guided tissue regeneration membranes for periodontal regeneration—a literature review,” Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 226–231, 2009.
- A. S. AlGhamdi, O. Shibly, and S. G. Ciancio, “Osseous grafting—part II: xenografts and alloplasts for periodontal regeneration—a literature review,” Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 39–44, 2010.
- L. C. Chen, T. Lundgren, H. Hallström, and F. Cherel, “Comparison of different methods of assessing alveolar ridge dimensions prior to dental implant placement,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 79, no. 3, pp. 401–405, 2008.
- W. Sümnig, “Determining the alveolar ridge width in planning treatment with endosseous implants,” Stomatologie der DDR, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 120–121, 1990.
- C. M. ten Bruggenkate, T. B. de Rijcke, H. A. Kraaijenhagen, and H. S. Oosterbeek, “Ridge mapping,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 179–182, 1994.