- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 249591, 6 pages
Determinants of Oral Health: Does Oral Health Literacy Matter?
1Department of Community Oral Health, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 1439955991, Tehran, Iran
2Department of Oral Public Health, Institute of Dentistry, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 41, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
3Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 41, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
4Department of Community Dentistry, University of Oulu, P.O. Box 5281, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Received 16 January 2013; Accepted 16 February 2013
Academic Editors: P. Gjermo and D. Wray
Copyright © 2013 Mohammad Mehdi Naghibi Sistani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Vanobbergen, L. De Visschere, M. Daems, A. Ceuppens, and J. van Emelen, “Sociodemographic determinants for oral health risk profiles,” International Journal of Dentistry, vol. 2010, Article ID 938936, 4 pages, 2010.
- J. T. Newton and E. J. Bower, “The social determinants of oral health: new approaches to conceptualizing and researching complex causal networks,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 25–34, 2005.
- D. L. Patrick, R. S. Y. Lee, M. Nucci, D. Grembowski, C. Z. Jolles, and P. Milgrom, “Reducing oral health disparities: a focus on social and cultural determinants,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 6, supplement 1, article S4, 2006.
- P. E. Petersen, “The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century—the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 31, supplement 1, pp. 3–24, 2003.
- National Institute of Health (NIH), “The invisible barrier: Literacy and its relationship with oral health. A report of a workgroup sponsored by the national institute of dental and craniofacial research, national institutes of health,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 174–182, 2005.
- A. M. Horowitz and D. V. Kleinman, “Oral health literacy: a pathway to reducing oral health disparities in Maryland,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 72, supplement 1, pp. S26–S30, 2012.
- A. M. Horowitz and D. V. Kleinman, “Oral health literacy: the new imperative to better oral health,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 333–344, 2008.
- M. Jones, J. Y. Lee, and R. Gary Rozier, “Oral health literacy among adult patients seeking dental care,” Journal of the American Dental Association, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 1199–1208, 2007.
- K. A. Atchison, M. W. Gironda, D. Messadi, and C. Der-Martirosian, “Screening for oral health literacy in an urban dental clinic,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 269–275, 2010.
- J. Y. Lee, K. Divaris, A. D. Baker, R. G. Rozier, S. Y. D. Lee, and W. F. Vann, “Oral health literacy levels among a low-income WIC population,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 152–160, 2011.
- E. J. Parker and L. M. Jamieson, “Associations between Indigenous Australian oral health literacy and self-reported oral health outcomes,” BMC Oral Health, vol. 10, no. 1, article 3, 2010.
- H. M. Wong, S. M. Bridges, C. K. Yiu, C. P. McGrath, T. K. Au, and D. S. Parthasarathy, “Development and validation of Hong Kong rapid estimate of adult literacy in dentistry,” Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 118–127, 2012.
- R. G. Rozier, “Commentary on ‘oral health literacy: a pathway to reducing oral health disparities in Maryland’,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 72, supplement 1, pp. S32–S33, 2012.
- H. Hessari, M. M. Vehkalahti, M. J. Eghbal, and H. T. Murtomaa, “Oral health among 35- to 44-year-old Iranians,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 280–285, 2007.
- R. Yazdani, M. M. Vehkalahti, M. Nouri, and H. Murtomaa, “Oral health and treatment needs among 15-year-olds in Tehran, Iran,” Community Dental Health, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 221–225, 2008.
- S. Z. Mohebbi, J. I. Virtanen, M. Vahid-Golpayegani, and M. M. Vehkalahti, “Early childhood caries and dental plaque among 1–3-year-olds in Tehran, Iran,” Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 177–181, 2006.
- M. M. Naghibi Sistani, A. Montazeri, R. Yazdani, and H. Murtomaa, “A new oral health literacy instrument for public health: development and pilot testing,” Journal of Investigative and Clinical Dentistry. In press.
- D. A. Sabbahi, H. P. Lawrence, H. Limeback, and I. Rootman, “Development and evaluation of an oral health literacy instrument for adults,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 451–462, 2009.
- A. Montazeri, A. Goshtasebi, and M. Vahdaninia, “Educational inequalities in self-reported health in a general Iranian population,” BMC Research Notes, vol. 1, article 50, 2008.
- T. Donyavi, K. H. Naieni, S. Nedjat, M. Vahdaninia, M. Najafi, and A. Montazeri, “Socioeconomic status and mortality after acute myocardial infarction: a study from Iran,” International Journal for Equity in Health, vol. 10, article 9, 2011.
- S. Engström and A. Holmlund, “Self-estimated oral and general health are related and associated with clinically investigated dental health,” Swedish Dental Journal, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 169–175, 2011.
- M. P. Pattussi, K. G. Peres, A. F. Boing, M. A. Peres, and J. S. D. Da Costa, “Self-rated oral health and associated factors in Brazilian elders,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 348–359, 2010.
- W. Sabbah, G. Tsakos, T. Chandola, A. Sheiham, and R. G. Watt, “Social gradients in oral and general health,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 86, no. 10, pp. 992–996, 2007.
- E. Bernabé, A. L. Suominen, A. Nordblad et al., “Education level and oral health in Finnish adults: evidence from different lifecourse models,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2011.
- T. Somkotra, “Socioeconomic inequality in self-reported oral health status: the experience of Thailand after implementation of the universal coverage policy,” Community Dental Health, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 136–142, 2011.
- V. Ravaghi, M. Underwood, V. Marinho, and S. Eldridge, “Socioeconomic status and self-reported oral health in Iranian adolescents: the role of selected oral health behaviors and psychological factors,” Journal of Public Health Dentistry, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 198–207, 2012.
- W. Sabbah, G. Tsakos, A. Sheiham, and R. G. Watt, “The role of health-related behaviors in the socioeconomic disparities in oral health,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 298–303, 2009.
- A. Montazeri, A. Goshtasebi, M. Vahdaninia, and B. Gandek, “The Short Form Health Survey (SF-36): translation and validation study of the Iranian version,” Quality of Life Research, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 875–882, 2005.
- O. Sjöström and D. Holst, “Validity of a questionnaire survey: response patterns in different subgroups and the effect of social desirability,” Acta Odontologica Scandandinavica, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 136–140, 2002.
- K. Buhlin, A. Gustafsson, K. Andersson, J. Håkansson, and B. Klinge, “Validity and limitations of self-reported periodontal health,” Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 431–437, 2002.
- B. Blicher, K. Joshipura, and P. Eke, “Validation of self-reported periodontal disease: a systematic review,” Journal of Dental Research, vol. 84, no. 10, pp. 881–890, 2005.
- C. Pinelli and L. Castro Monteiro Loffredo, “Reproducibility and validity of self-perceived oral health conditions,” Clinical Oral Investigations, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 431–437, 2007.
- R. Yazdani, M. M. Vehkalahti, M. Nouri, and H. Murtomaa, “Validity of self-assessment of oral health among 15-year-olds in Tehran, Iran,” Oral Health & Preventive Dentistry, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 263–269, 2008.