Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 624163, 10 pages
A Study of the Initial Stages of Co Deposition on a Silver Electrode in Ammonia Medium Using an Electrochemical Quartz Crystal Microbalance
Laboratorio de Electroquímica, Centro de Investigación y Estudios de Posgrado, Facultad de Ciencias Químicas, Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí, Avenue Dr. Manuel Nava No. 6, Zona Universitaria, 78210 San Luis Potosi, SLP, Mexico
Received 6 November 2012; Accepted 4 December 2012
Academic Editors: C. M. Muller and W.-S. Zhang
Copyright © 2013 A. Montes-Rojas and A. L. Donjuan-Medrano. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. N. Baibich, J. M. Broto, A. Fert et al., “Giant magnetoresistance of (001)Fe/(001)Cr magnetic superlattices,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 61, no. 21, pp. 2472–2475, 1988.
- A. E. Berkowitz, J. R. Mitchell, M. J. Carey et al., “Giant magnetoresistance in heterogeneous Cu-Co alloys,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 68, no. 25, pp. 3745–3748, 1992.
- A. Gerber, A. Milner, I. Y. Korenblit, M. Karpovsky, A. Gladkikh, and A. Sulpice, “Temperature dependence of resistance and magnetoresistance of nanogranular Co-Ag films,” Physical Review B, vol. 57, no. 21, pp. 13667–13673, 1998.
- J. Q. Xiao, J. S. Jiang, and C. L. Chien, “Giant magnetoresistance in nonmultilayer magnetic systems,” Physical Review Letters, vol. 68, pp. 3749–3752, 1992.
- C. L. Chien, J. Q. Xiao, and J. S. Jiang, “Giant negative magnetoresistance in granular ferromagnetic systems (invited),” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 73, pp. 5309–5314, 1993.
- L. Piraux, J. M. George, J. F. Despres et al., “Giant magnetoresistance in magnetic multilayered nanowires,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 65, no. 19, pp. 2484–2486, 1994.
- S. Kenane, E. Chainet, B. Nguyen, A. Kadri, N. Benbrahim, and J. Voiron, “Giant magnetoresistance in Co-Ag granular films prepared by electrodeposition,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 167–170, 2002.
- A. Canzian, G. Bozzolo, and H. O. Mosca, “Modeling of stable and metastable structures of Co, Cr, or Fe deposited on Ag(100) substrates,” Thin Solid Films, vol. 519, no. 7, pp. 2201–2206, 2011.
- Y. J. Chen, W. Y. Cheung, I. H. Wilson et al., “Magnetic domain structures of Co22Ag78 granular films observed by magnetic force microscopy,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 72, no. 19, article 2472, 3 pages, 1998.
- Y. D. Zhang, J. I. Budnick, W. A. Hines, C. L. Chien, and J. Q. Xiao, “Effect of magnetic field on the superparamagnetic relaxation in granular Co-Ag samples,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 72, no. 16, pp. 2053–2055, 1998.
- J. A. De Toro, J. P. Andrés, J. A. González, J. P. Goff, A. J. Barbero, and J. M. Riveiro, “Improved giant magnetoresistance in nanogranular Co/Ag: the role of interparticle RKKY interactions,” Physical Review B, vol. 70, no. 22, Article ID 224412, 6 pages, 2004.
- F. M. De Horne, L. Piraux, and S. Micote, “Fabrication and physical properties of Pb/Cu multilayered superconducting nanowires,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 86, no. 15, Article ID 152510, 3 pages, 2005.
- D. M. Kolb, “Physical and electrochemical properties of metal monolayer on metallic substrates,” in Advances in Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering, H. Gerischer and C. W. Tobias, Eds., vol. 11, pp. 125–271, Wiley-Interscience Publication, New York, NY, USA, 1978.
- A. Aramata, “Underpotential deposition on single-crystal metals,” in Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, J. O. BocKris, R. E. White, and B. E. Conway, Eds., vol. 31, pp. 181–249, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1997.
- S. Trasatti, “Work function, electronegativity and electrochemical behaviour of metals. I. Selection of experimental values of work function,” Chimica e Industria, vol. 53, pp. 559–564, 1971.
- R. Parsons, in Handbook of Electrochemical Constans, Butterworths, London, UK, 1959.
- H. B. Michaelson, “Work functions of the elements,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 21, article 536, 5 pages, 1950.
- S. D. Ardage and E. Gileadi, in Electrosorption, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1967.
- J. W. Schultze and F. D. Koppitz, “Bond formation in electrosorbates-I correlation between the electrosorption valency and pauling's electronegativity for aqueous solutions,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 327–336, 1976.
- L. H. Mendoza-Huizar, M. Palomar-Pardavé, and J. Robles, “Nucleation and growth of cobalt onto different substrates: part I. Underpotential deposition onto a gold electrode,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 521, no. 1-2, pp. 95–106, 2002.
- I. Flis-Kabulska, “Electrodeposition of cobalt on gold during voltammetric cycling,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 131–137, 2006.
- A. Montes-Rojas, L. M. Torres-Rodríguez, and C. Nieto-Delgado, “Electromicrogravimetric study of underpotential deposition of Co on textured gold electrode in ammonia medium,” New Journal of Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1769–1776, 2007.
- S. P. Jiang and A. C. C. Tseung, “Reactive deposition of cobalt electrodes. III. Role of anions,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, vol. 137, no. 11, pp. 3387–3393, 1990.
- N. Pradhan, T. Subbaiah, S. C. Das, and U. N. Dash, “Effect of zinc on the electrocrystallization of cobalt,” Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 713–719, 1997.
- J. T. Matsushima, F. Trivinho-Strixino, and E. C. Pereira, “Investigation of cobalt deposition using the electrochemical quartz crystal microbalance,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 1960–1966, 2006.
- O. Melroy, K. Kanazawa, J. G. Gordon, and D. Buttry, “Direct determination of the mass of an underpotentially deposited monolayer of lead on gold,” Langmuir, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 697–700, 1986.
- M. Hepel, S. Bruckenstein, and K. Kanige, “Expulsion of borate ions from the silver/solution interfacial region during underpotential deposition discharge of BiIII in borate buffer,” Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, vol. 89, no. 2, pp. 251–254, 1993.
- B. K. Niece and A. A. Gewirth, “Potential-step chronocoulometric and quartz crystal microbalance investigation of underpotentially deposited Tl on Au(111) electrodes,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, vol. 102, pp. 818–823, 1998.
- A. L. Donjuan-Medrano and A. Montes-Rojas, “Effect of the thickness of thallium deposits on the values of EQCM sensitivity constant,” New Journal of Chemistry, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 1935–1944, 2008.
- W. Blum and G. B. Hogaboom, in Galvanotecnia y Galvanoplastia: Dorado-Plateado-Niquelado-Cromado, CECSA, México, 1964.
- B. Soto, E. M. Arce, M. Palomar-Pardave, and I. Gonzalez, “Electrochemical nucleation of cobalt onto glassy carbon electrode from ammonium chloride solutions,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 41, pp. 2647–2655, 1996.
- S. Fletcher, C. S. Halliday, D. Gates, M. Westcott, T. Lwin, and G. Nelson, “The response of some nucleation/growth processes to triangular scans of potential,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 159, no. 2, pp. 267–285, 1983.
- S. Srinivasan and E. Gileadi, “The potential-sweep method: a theoretical analysis,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 321–335, 1966.
- A. Hamelin, “Lead adsorption on gold single crystal stepped surfaces,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Interfacial Electrochemistry, vol. 101, pp. 285–290, 1979.
- M. Kleinert, H. F. Waibel, G. E. Engelmann, H. Martin, and D. M. Kolb, “Dynamic EXAFS study of discharging nickel hydroxide electrode with non-integer Ni valency,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 46, no. 20-21, pp. 3119–3127, 2001.
- Z. Shi, S. Wu, and J. Lipkowski, “Coadsorption of metal atoms and anions: Cu upd in the presence of , Cl- and Br-,” Electrochimica Acta, vol. 40, pp. 9–15, 1995.
- O. R. Melroy, M. G. Samant, G. L. Borges et al., “In-plane structure of underpotentially deposited copper on gold(111) determined by surface EXAFS,” Langmuir, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 728–732, 1988.
- G. Valette, “Double layer on silver single-crystal electrodes in contact with electrolytes having anions which present a slight specific adsorption: part I. The (110) face,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Interfacial Electrochemistry, vol. 122, pp. 285–297, 1981.