- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 676524, 10 pages
Ultrasound for the Detection of Pleural Effusions and Guidance of the Thoracentesis Procedure
1Department of Emergency Medicine, USC Medical Center, General Hospital, 1200 State Street, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
2Division of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Drive, Alway Building, M121, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Received 5 August 2012; Accepted 23 August 2012
Academic Editors: R. Breitkreutz and C. C. Chang
Copyright © 2012 Kamila Sikora et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. L. Wong, J. Holroyd-Leduc, and S. E. Straus, “Does this patient have a pleural effusion?” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 301, no. 3, pp. 309–317, 2009.
- M. E. Froudarakis, “Diagnostic work-up of pleural effusions,” Respiration, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 4–13, 2008.
- E. Diaz-Guzman and R. A. Dweik, “Diagnosis and management of pleural effusions: a practical approach,” Comprehensive Therapy, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 237–246, 2007.
- M. A. Rothlin, R. Naf, M. Amgwerd, D. Candinas, T. Frick, and O. Trentz, “Ultrasound in blunt abdominal and thoracic trauma,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 488–495, 1993.
- N. Xirouchaki, E. Magkanas, K. Vaporidi et al., “Lung ultrasound in critically ill patients: comparison with bedside chest radiography,” Intensive Care Medicine, pp. 1–6, 2011.
- D. Lichtenstein, J. S. Hulot, A. Rabiller, I. Tostivint, and G. Mezière, “Feasibility and safety of ultrasound-aided thoracentesis in mechanically ventilated patients,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 955–958, 1999.
- K. L. Eibenberger, W. I. Dock, M. E. Ammann, R. Dorffner, M. F. Hormann, and F. Grabenwoger, “Quantification of pleural effusions: sonography versus radiography,” Radiology, vol. 191, no. 3, pp. 681–684, 1994.
- P. C. Yang, K. T. Luh, D. B. Chang, H. D. Wu, C. J. Yu, and S. H. Kuo, “Value of sonography in determining the nature of pleural effusion: analysis of 320 cases,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 29–33, 1992.
- J. Kurian, T. L. Levin, B. K. Han, B. H. Taragin, and S. Weinstein, “Comparison of ultrasound and CT in the evaluation of pneumonia complicated by parapneumonic effusion in children,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 193, no. 6, pp. 1648–1654, 2009.
- A. Peris, L. Tutino, G. Zagli et al., “The use of point-of-care bedside lung ultrasound significantly reduces the number of radiographs and computed tomography scans in critically ill patients,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 111, no. 3, pp. 687–692, 2010.
- D. Feller-Kopman, “Ultrasound-guided thoracentesis,” Chest, vol. 129, no. 6, pp. 1709–1714, 2006.
- J. Turner and J. Dankoff, “Thoracic ultrasound,” Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 451–473, 2012.
- M. Balik, P. Plasil, P. Waldauf et al., “Ultrasound estimation of volume of pleural fluid in mechanically ventilated patients,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 318–321, 2006.
- B. Coley, “Chest sonography in children: current indications, techniques and imaging findings,” Radiologic Clinics of North America, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 825–846, 2011.
- K. F. Pinotti, S. M. Ribeiro, and A. J. M. Cataneo, “Thorax ultrasound in the management of pediatric pneumonias complicated with empyema,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 775–778, 2006.
- F. J. H. Brims, S. M. Lansley, G. W. Waterer, and Y. C. G. Lee, “Empyema thoracis: new insights into an old disease,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 19, no. 117, pp. 220–228, 2010.
- C. H. Chen, W. Chen, H. J. Chen et al., “Transthoracic ultrasonography in predicting the outcome of small-bore catheter drainage in empyemas or complicated parapneumonic effusions,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 35, no. 9, pp. 1468–1474, 2009.
- H. J. Chen, Y. H. Yu, C. Y. Tu et al., “Ultrasound in peripheral pulmonary air-fluid lesions: color Doppler imaging as an aid in differentiating empyema and abscess,” Chest, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 1426–1432, 2009.
- T. Havelock, R. Teoh, D. Laws, and F. Gleeson, “Pleural procedures and thoracic ultrasound: British Thoracic Society pleural disease guideline 2010,” Thorax, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. i61–i76, 2010.
- C. Moore, “Ultrasound-guided procedures in emergency medicine,” Ultrasound Clinics, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 277–289, 2011.
- S. Nicolaou, A. Talsky, K. Khashoggi, and V. Venu, “Ultrasound-guided interventional radiology in critical care,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 35, supplement 5, pp. S186–S197, 2007.
- D. A. Gervais, A. Petersein, M. J. Lee, P. F. Hahn, S. Saini, and P. R. Mueller, “US-guided thoracentesis: requirement for postprocedure chest radiography in patients who receive mechanical ventilation versus patients who breathe spontaneously,” Radiology, vol. 204, no. 2, pp. 503–506, 1997.
- S. J. Koenig, M. Narasimhan, and P. H. Mayo, “Thoracic ultrasonography for the pulmonary specialist,” Chest, vol. 140, no. 5, pp. 1332–1341, 2011.
- C. E. Daniels and J. H. Ryu, “Improving the safety of thoracentesis,” Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 232–236, 2011.
- F. V. Adams and V. Galati, “M-mode ultrasonic localization of pleural effusion. Use in patients with non diagnostic physical and roentgenographic examinations,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 239, no. 17, pp. 1761–1764, 1978.
- T. W. Barnes, T. I. Morgenthaler, E. J. Olson, G. K. Hesley, P. A. Decker, and J. H. Ryu, “Sonographically guided thoracentesis and rate of pneumothorax,” Journal of Clinical Ultrasound, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 442–446, 2005.
- G. W. Boland, G. S. Gazelle, M. J. Girard, and P. R. Mueller, “Asymptomatic hydropneumothorax after therapeutic thoracentesis for malignant pleural effusions,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 943–946, 1998.
- R. D. Brandstetter, M. Karetzky, R. Rastogi, and J. D. Lolis, “Pneumothorax after thoracentesis in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Heart and Lung, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 67–70, 1994.
- H. G. Colt, N. Brewer, and E. Barbur, “Evaluation of patient-related and procedure-related factors contributing to pneumothorax following thoracentesis,” Chest, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 134–138, 1999.
- D. R. Duncan, T. I. Morgenthaler, J. H. Ryu, and C. E. Daniels, “Reducing iatrogenic risk in thoracentesis: establishing best practice via experiential training in a zero-risk environment,” Chest, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 1315–1320, 2009.
- D. R. Grogan, R. S. Irwin, R. Channick et al., “Complications associated with thoracentesis. A prospective, randomized study comparing three different methods,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 150, no. 4, pp. 873–877, 1990.
- H. R. Harnsberger, T. G. Lee, and D. H. Mukuno, “Rapid, inexpensive real-time directed thoracentesis,” Radiology, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 545–546, 1983.
- J. Heidecker, J. T. Huggins, S. A. Sahn, and P. Doelken, “Pathophysiology of pneumothorax following ultrasound-guided thoracentesis,” Chest, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 1173–1184, 2006.
- T. Josephson, C. A. Nordenskjold, J. Larsson, L. U. Rosenberg, and M. Kaijser, “Amount drained at ultrasound-guided thoracentesis and risk of pneumothorax,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 42–47, 2009.
- P. W. Jones, J. P. Moyers, J. T. Rogers, R. M. Rodriguez, Y. C. Gary Lee, and R. W. Light, “Ultrasound-guided thoracentesis: is it a safer method?” Chest, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 418–423, 2003.
- S. J. Liang, C. Y. Tu, H. J. Chen et al., “Application of ultrasound-guided pigtail catheter for drainage of pleural effusions in the ICU,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 350–354, 2009.
- P. H. Mayo, H. R. Goltz, M. Tafreshi, and P. Doelken, “Safety of ultrasound-guided thoracentesis in patients receiving mechanical ventilation,” Chest, vol. 125, no. 3, pp. 1059–1062, 2004.
- G. Mynarek, K. Brabrand, J. Å. Jakobsen, and A. Kolbenstvedt, “Complications following ultrasound-guided thoracocentesis,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 519–522, 2004.
- P. V. O'Moore, P. R. Mueller, and J. F. Simeone, “Sonographic guidance in diagnostic and therapeutic interventions in the pleural space,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 1987.
- K. Pihlajamaa, M. K. Bode, T. Puumalainen, A. Lehtimäki, S. Marjelund, and T. Tikkakoski, “Pneumothorax and the value of chest radiography after ultrasound-guided thoracocentesis,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 828–832, 2004.
- V. Raptopoulos, L. M. Davis, G. Lee, C. Umali, R. Lew, and R. S. Irwin, “Factors affecting the development of pneumothorax associated with thoracentesis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 917–920, 1991.
- C. E. Ravin, “Thoracocentesis of loculated pleural effusions using grey scale ultrasonic guidance,” Chest, vol. 71, no. 5, pp. 666–668, 1977.
- C. J. Yu, P. C. Yang, D. B. Chang, and K. T. Luh, “Diagnostic and therapeutic use of chest sonography: value in critically ill patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 159, no. 4, pp. 695–701, 1992.
- C. E. Gordon, D. Feller-Kopman, E. M. Balk, and G. W. Smetana, “Pneumothorax following thoracentesis: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 332–339, 2010.
- Y. H. Liu, Y. C. Lin, S. J. Liang et al., “Ultrasound-guided pigtail catheters for drainage of various pleural diseases,” American Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 915–921, 2010.
- G. Volpicelli, M. Elbarbary, M. Blaivas, et al., “International evidence based recommendations for point of care lung ultrasound,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 577–591, 2012.