- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 927678, 6 pages
The Effects of QuikClot Combat Gauze, Fluid Resuscitation, and Movement on Hemorrhage Control in a Porcine Model
1US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia, TX 79920, USA
2Brooke Army Medical Center and Northeastern University, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115-5000, USA
Received 26 September 2012; Accepted 31 October 2012
Academic Editors: P. Eisenburger, M. Pocar, and C.-C. Wu
Copyright © 2012 Don Johnson et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. E. Pusateri, A. V. Delgado, E. J. Dick Jr., R. S. Martinez, J. B. Holcomb, and K. L. Ryan, “Application of a granular mineral-based hemostatic agent (QuikClot) to reduce blood loss after grade V liver injury in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 555–562, 2004.
- D. D. Jewelewicz, S. M. Cohn, B. A. Crookes et al., “Modified rapid deployment hemostat bandage reduces blood loss and mortality in coagulopathic pigs with severe liver injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 275–281, 2003.
- J. T. Bishoff, R. L. Cornum, B. Perahia et al., “Laparoscopic heminephrectomy using a new fibrin sealant powder,” Urology, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 1139–1143, 2003.
- A. E. Pusateri, H. E. Modrow, R. A. Harris et al., “Advanced hemostatic dressing development program: animal model selection criteria and results of a study of nine hemostatic dressings in a model of severe large venous hemorrhage and hepatic injury in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 518–526, 2003.
- J. L. Sondeen, A. E. Pusateri, V. G. Coppes, C. E. Gaddy, and J. B. Holcomb, “Comparison of 10 different hemostatic dressings in an aortic injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 280–285, 2003.
- P. Rhee, C. Brown, M. Martin et al., “Quikclot use in trauma for hemorrhage control: case series of 103 documented uses,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 1093–1099, 2008.
- H. B. Alam, D. Burris, J. A. Dacorta, and P. Rhee, “Hemorrhage control in the battlefield: role of new hemostatic agents,” Military Medicine, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2005.
- J. B. Holcomb, “Use of recombinant activated factor VII to treat the acquired coagulopathy of trauma,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1298–1303, 2005.
- O. E. Ogle, J. Swantek, and A. Kamoh, “Hemostatic agents,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 433–439, 2011.
- M. E. Lipkin, J. G. Mancini, W. N. Simmons, et al., “Pathologic evaluation of hemostatic agents in percutaneous nephrolithotomy tracts in a porcine model,” Journal of Endourology, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 1353–1357, 2011.
- B. S. Kheirabadi, F. Arnaud, R. McCarron et al., “Development of a standard swine hemorrhage model for efficacy assessment of topical hemostatic agents,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 71, no. 1, supplement, pp. S139–S146, 2011.
- B. Kheirabadi, “Evaluation of topical hemostatic agents for combat wound treatment,” U.S. Army Medical Department Journal, pp. 25–37, 2011.
- E. D. Karsli, Ö. Erdogan, E. Esen, and E. Acartürk, “Comparison of the effects of warfarin and heparin on bleeding caused by dental extraction: a clinical study,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 69, no. 10, pp. 2500–2507, 2011.
- M. Emilia, S. Luca, B. Francesca et al., “Topical hemostatic agents in surgical practice,” Transfusion and Apheresis Science, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 305–311, 2011.
- B. S. Kheirabadi, J. E. MacE, I. B. Terrazas et al., “Safety evaluation of new hemostatic agents, smectite granules, and kaolin-coated gauze in a vascular injury wound model in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 68, no. 2, pp. 269–278, 2010.
- B. Gegel, J. Burgert, B. Cooley et al., “The effects of BleedArrest, celox, and TraumaDex on hemorrhage control in a porcine model,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. e125–e129, 2010.
- J. B. Holcomb, K. Hoots, and F. A. Moore, “Treatment of an acquired coagulopathy with recombinant activated factor VII in a damage-control patient,” Military Medicine, vol. 170, no. 4, pp. 287–290, 2005.
- M. A. Schreiber and D. J. Neveleff, “Achieving hemostasis with topical hemostats: making clinically and economically appropriate decisions in the surgical and trauma settings,” AORN Journal, vol. 94, no. 5, pp. S1–S20, 2011.
- A. Kamoh and J. Swantek, “Hemostasis in oral surgery,” Dental Clinics of North America, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 17–23, 2012.
- R. Smeets, F. Gerhards, J. Stein, et al., “A novel hemostatic delivery device for thrombin: biodegradable poly(D, L-lactide-co-glycolide) 50:50 microspheres,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research—Part A, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 177–185, 2011.
- L. F. Littlejohn, J. J. Devlin, S. S. Kircher, R. Lueken, M. R. Melia, and A. S. Johnson, “Comparison of Celox-A, Chitoflex, WoundStat, and combat gauze hemostatic agents versus standard gauze dressing in control of hemorrhage in a swine model of penetrating trauma,” Academic Emergency Medicine, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 340–350, 2011.
- B. S. Kheirabadi, M. R. Scherer, J. S. Estep, M. A. Dubick, and J. B. Holcomb, “Determination of efficacy of new hemostatic dressings in a model of extremity arterial hemorrhage in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 67, no. 3, pp. 450–460, 2009.
- H. B. Alam, G. B. Uy, D. Miller et al., “Comparative analysis of hemostatic agents in a swine model of lethal groin injury,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1077–1082, 2003.
- H. B. Alam, Z. Chen, A. Jaskille et al., “Application of a zeolite hemostatic agent achieves 100% survival in a lethal model of complex groin injury in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 974–983, 2004.
- Y. Ran, E. Hadad, S. Daher et al., “QuikClot Combat Gauze use for hemorrhage control in military trauma: January 2009 Israel Defense Force experience in the Gaza Strip—a preliminary report of 14 cases,” Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 584–588, 2010.
- J. J. Devlin, S. Kircher, B. G. Kozen, L. F. Littlejohn, and A. S. Johnson, “Comparison of ChitoFlex(R), CELOX, and QuikClot(R) in control of hemorrhage,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 237–245, 2009.
- A. E. Pusateri, S. J. McCarthy, K. W. Gregory et al., “Effect of a chitosan-based hemostatic dressing on blood loss and survival in a model of severe venous hemorrhage and hepatic injury in swine,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2003.
- A. E. Pusateri, J. B. Holcomb, B. S. Kheirabadi, H. B. Alam, C. E. Wade, and K. L. Ryan, “Making sense of the preclinical literature on advanced hemostatic products,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 674–682, 2006.
- S. Samudrala, “Topical hemostatic agents in surgery: a surgeon's perspective,” AORN Journal, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. S2–S11, 2008.
- B. S. Kheirabadi, A. Field-Ridley, R. Pearson, M. MacPhee, W. Drohan, and D. Tuthill, “Comparative study of the efficacy of the common topical hemostatic agents with fibrin sealant in a rabbit aortic anastomosis model,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 99–107, 2002.