- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Emergency Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 968023, 6 pages
Challenges of Managing Emergency Ileostomy: Nutrition—A Neglected Aspect
1Department of Surgery, Safdarjang Hospital, Dr. V. M. Medical College, New Delhi 110023, India
2Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, AIIMS, New Delhi 110029, India
Received 1 October 2012; Accepted 1 November 2012
Academic Editors: C. C. Chang, E. De Guise, and S. Di Saverio
Copyright © 2012 Ravindra Singh Mohil et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Ojerskog, H. Andersson, I. Bosaeus, H. Brevinge, and L. O. Nilsson, “Total body water and total body potassium in ileostomy patients before and after conversion to the continent ileostomy,” Gut, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1198–1201, 1988.
- R. S. Mohil, T. Singh, S. Arya, and D. Bhatnagar, “Risk adjustment is crucial in comparing outcomes of various surgical modalities in patients with ileal perforation,” Patient Safety in Surgery, vol. 2, article 31, 2008.
- I. Warnold, T. Falkheden, B. Hulten, and B. Isaksson, “Energy intake and expenditure in selected groups of hospital patients,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 742–749, 1978.
- J. C. Cooper, A. Laughland, E. J. Gunning, L. Burkinshaw, and N. S. Williams, “Body composition in ileostomy patients with and without ileal resection,” Gut, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 680–685, 1986.
- J. Fulham, “Providing dietary advice for the individual with a stoma,” British Journal of Nursing, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. S22–S27, 2008.
- G. P. Copeland, D. Jones, and M. Walters, “POSSUM: a scoring system for surgical audit,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 355–360, 1991.
- M. S. Whiteley, D. R. Prytherch, B. Higgins, P. C. Weaver, and W. G. Prout, “An evaluation of the POSSUM surgical scoring system,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 812–815, 1996.
- W. A. Knaus, E. A. Draper, D. P. Wagner, and J. E. Zimmerman, “APACHE II: a severity of disease classification system,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 818–829, 1985.
- L. D. Wijesinghe, T. Mahmood, D. J. A. Scott, D. C. Berridge, P. J. Kent, and R. C. Kester, “Comparison of POSSUM and the Portsmouth predictor equation for predicting death following vascular surgery,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 209–212, 1998.
- R. S. Mohil, D. Bhatnagar, L. Bahadur, Rajneesh, D. K. Dev, and M. Magan, “POSSUM and P-POSSUM for risk-adjusted audit of patients undergoing emergency laparotomy,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 500–503, 2004.
- B. R. Bistrian, G. L. Blackburn, J. Vitale, D. Cochran, and J. Naylor, “Prevalence of malnutrition in general medical patients,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 235, no. 15, pp. 1567–1570, 1976.
- D. D. Henrud, “Nutritional screening and assessment,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 83, pp. 1525–1546, 1999.
- I. Giovanni and G. Boldrini, “RQ and patterns of substrate utilization in human sepsis and trauma,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 7, p. 226, 1983.
- D. G. Kelly, S. F. Phillips, and K. A. Kelly, “Dysfunction of the continent ileostomy: clinical features and bacteriology,” Gut, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 193–201, 1983.
- K. V. Krishna Das, “Nutritional anaemias in India,” The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India, vol. 28, no. 12, pp. 521–533, 1980.
- J. P. Grant, P. B. Custer, and J. Thurlow, “Current techniques of nutritional assessment,” Surgical Clinics of North America, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 437–463, 1981.
- D. L. Palmer and W. P. Reed, “Delayed hypersensitivity skin testing—II. Clinical correlates and anergy,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 138–143, 1974.
- D. P. O'Leary, C. J. Fide, C. Foy, and M. E. Lucarotti, “Quality of life after low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision and temporary loop ileostomy for rectal carcinoma,” British Journal of Surgery, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 1216–1220, 2001.
- I. Robertson, E. Leung, D. Hughes et al., “Prospective analysis of stoma-related complications,” Colorectal Disease, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 279–285, 2005.
- E. Carlsen and A. B. Bergan, “Loop ileostomy: technical aspects and complications,” European Journal of Surgery, vol. 165, no. 2, pp. 140–144, 1999.
- M. D. Sher-uz-Rehman, S. Atiq-ur-Rehman, H. Famad, and K. Younis, “Loop ileostomy: complications in cases of enteric perforations,” Professional Medical Journal, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 222–227, 2011.
- H. R. Roy, M. A. Basunia, and M. A. Quazum, “Complications of protective ileostomy in Emergency surgery—a study of 50 cases,” Journal of Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons, vol. 29, no. 4, 2011.
- M. Sutters, D. J. S. Carmichael, R. J. Unwin et al., ““Low sodium” diuresis and ileal loss in patients with ileostomies: effect of desmopressin,” Gut, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 649–653, 1991.
- M. M. G. Rathnayake, S. K. Kumarage, S. R. E. Wijesuriya, B. N. L. Munasinghe, M. H. J. Ariyaratne, and K. I. Deen, “Complications of loop ileostomy and ileostomy closure and their implications for extended enterostomal therapy: a prospective clinical study,” International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 1118–1121, 2008.
- R. S. Mohil, A. Agarwal, N. Singh, J. Arora, and D. Bhatnagar, “Does nutritional status play a role in patients undergoing emergency laparotomy?” e-SPEN, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. e226–e231, 2008.
- P. B. Soeters, P. L. M. Reijven, M. A. E. van Bokhorst-de van der Schueren et al., “A rational approach to nutritional assessment,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 706–716, 2008.
- L. O. Nilsson, H. Andersson, L. Hulten, et al., “Absorption studies in patients 6 to 10 years after construction of ileostomy reservoirs,” Gut, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 499–503, 1979.
- G. L. Blackburn, B. R. Bistrian, B. S. Maini, H. T. Schlamm, and M. F. Smith, “Nutritional and metabolic assessment of the hospitalized patient,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–22, 1977.
- A. N. Naidu and N. P. Rao, “Body mass index,” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 153–159, 1994.
- T. Hindenburg and J. Rosenberg, “Closing a temporary ileostomy within two weeks,” Danish Medical Bulletin, vol. 57, no. 6, article A4157, 2010.
- W. Baraza, J. Wild, W. Barber, and S. Brown, “Postoperative management after loop ileostomy closer: are we keeping patient in hospital too long?” Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2010.
- D. W. Wilmore, “Metabolic response to severe surgical illness: overview,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 705–711, 2000.