- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 834359, 6 pages
Stanniocalcin-1 Co-Localizes with Insulin in the Pancreatic Islets
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, Western University, London,
ON, N6A 5C1, Canada
Received 2 August 2012; Accepted 9 September 2012
Academic Editors: A. De Bellis and D. G. Romero
Copyright © 2012 Deenaz Zaidi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. E. Gerritsen and G. F. Wagner, “Stanniocalcin: no longer just a fish tale,” Vitamins & Hormones, vol. 70, pp. 105–135, 2005.
- J. P. Ellard, C. R. McCudden, C. Tanega et al., “The respiratory effects of stanniocalcin-1 (STC-1) on intact mitochondria and cells: STC-1 uncouples oxidative phosphorylation and its actions are modulated by nucleotide triphosphates,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 264, no. 1-2, pp. 90–101, 2007.
- D. Zaidi, K. A. James, and G. F. Wagner, “Passive immunization of lactating mice with stanniocalcin-1 antiserum reduces mammary gland development, milk fat content, and postnatal pup growth,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 5, pp. E974–E981, 2006.
- C. R. McCudden, K. A. James, C. Hasilo, and G. F. Wagner, “Characterization of mammalian stanniocalcin receptors. Mitochondrial targeting of ligand and receptor for regulation of cellular metabolism,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 277, no. 47, pp. 45249–45258, 2002.
- S. E. Stasko and G. F. Wagner, “Possible roles for stanniocalcin during early skeletal patterning and joint formation in the mouse,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 171, no. 2, pp. 237–248, 2001.
- C. R. McCudden, W. H. Tam, and G. F. Wagner, “Ovarian stanniocalcin in trout is differentially glycosylated and preferentially expressed in early stage oocytes,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 763–770, 2001.
- K. A. James, M. Seitelbach, C. R. McCudden, and G. F. Wagner, “Evidence for stanniocalcin binding activity in mammalian blood and glomerular filtrate,” Kidney International, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 477–482, 2005.
- R. Varghese, C. K. C. Wong, H. Deol, G. F. Wagner, and G. E. DiMattia, “Comparative analysis of mammalian stanniocalcin genes,” Endocrinology, vol. 139, no. 11, pp. 4714–4725, 1998.
- D. J. Hill, R. J. Sedran, S. L. Brenner, and T. J. McDonald, “IGF-I has a dual effect on insulin release from isolated, perifused adult rat islets of Langerhans,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 153, no. 1, pp. 15–25, 1997.
- J. Turner, O. Sazonova, H. Wang, A. Pozzi, and G. F. Wagner, “Induction of the renal stanniocalcin-1 gene in rodents by water deprivation,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 328, no. 1-2, pp. 8–15, 2010.
- J. Turner, F. L. Xiang, Q. Feng, and G. F. Wagner, “The renal stanniocalcin-1 gene is differentially regulated by hypertonicity and hypovolemia in the rat,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 331, no. 1, pp. 150–157, 2011.
- A. C. M. Chang, J. Janosi, M. Hulsbeek et al., “A novel human cDNA highly homologous to the fish hormone stanniocalcin,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 112, no. 2, pp. 241–247, 1995.
- E. E. Moore, R. E. Kuestner, D. C. Conklin et al., “Stanniocalcin 2: characterization of the protein and its localization to human pancreatic alpha cells,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 406–414, 1999.
- H. S. Olsen, M. A. Cepeda, Q. Q. Zhang, C. A. Rosen, B. L. Vozzolo, and G. F. Wagner, “Human stanniocalcin: a possible hormonal regulator of mineral metabolism,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 1792–1796, 1996.
- A. C. M. Chang and R. R. Reddel, “Identification of a second stanniocalcin cDNA in mouse and human: stanniocalcin 2,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 141, no. 1-2, pp. 95–99, 1998.
- G. E. DiMattia, R. Varghese, and G. F. Wagner, “Molecular cloning and characterization of stanniocalcin-related protein,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 146, no. 1-2, pp. 137–140, 1998.
- K. Ishibashi, K. Miyamoto, Y. Taketani et al., “Molecular cloning of a second human stanniocalcin homologue (STC2),” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 250, no. 2, pp. 252–258, 1998.
- D. Ito, J. R. Walker, C. S. Thompson et al., “Characterization of stanniocalcin 2, a novel target of the mammalian unfolded protein response with cytoprotective properties,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 24, no. 21, pp. 9456–9469, 2004.
- E. Heart, R. F. Corkey, J. D. Wikstrom, O. S. Shirihai, and B. E. Corkey, “Glucose-dependent increase in mitochondrial membrane potential, but not cytoplasmic calcium, correlates with insulin secretion in single islet cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 1, pp. E143–E148, 2006.
- P.-L. Herrera, J. Huarte, F. Sanvito, P. Meda, L. Orci, and J. D. Vassalli, “Embryogenesis of the murine endocrine pancreas; early expression of pancreatic polypeptide gene,” Development, vol. 113, no. 4, pp. 1257–1265, 1991.