ISRN Environmental Chemistry
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 319178, 8 pages
Photocatalysis of the Organophosphorus Fenamiphos: Insight into the Degradation Mechanism
1Université Hassan 1er, Laboratoire des Sciences de l’Environnement et du Développement, Equipe de Chimie Ecologique,
FST de Settat, 26000 Settat, Morocco
2Equipe de Chimie Analytique et Environnement (ECAE), Faculté Polydisciplinaire, Université Cadi Ayyad, BP 4162, 46000 Safi, Morocco
3CNRS, UMR 6296, Institut de Chimie de Clermont Ferrand (ICCF), Équipe Photochimie, BP 80026, 63171 Aubière, France
4Clermont Université, Université Blaise Pascal, Institut de Chimie de Clermont Ferrand (ICCF), BP 80026, 63171 Aubière, France
Received 25 February 2013; Accepted 1 April 2013
Academic Editors: D. Petruzzelli and H. Zhao
Copyright © 2013 H. Mountacer et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. L. Canle, J. A. Santaballa, and E. Vulliet, “On the mechanism of TiO2-photocatalyzed degradation of aniline derivatives,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 175, no. 2-3, pp. 192–200, 2005.
- O. Hutzinger, Environmental Photochemistry, The Hanbook of Environmental Chemistry, vol. 2, part l, Springer, 1999.
- O. Legrini, E. Oliveros, and A. M. Braun, “Photochemical processes for water treatment,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 671–698, 1993.
- H. D. Burrows, L. M. Canle, J. A. Santabella, and S. Steenken, “Reaction pathways and mechanisms of photodegradation of pesticides,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 67, pp. 71–108, 2002.
- P. Wong-Wah-Chung, S. Rafqah, G. Voyard, and M. Sarakha, “Photochemical behaviour of triclosan in aqueous solutions: kinetic and analytical studies,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 191, no. 2-3, pp. 201–208, 2007.
- S. Kouras-Hadef, A. Amine-Khodja, S. Halladja, and C. Richard, “Influence of humic substances on the riboflavin photosensitized transformation of 2,4,6-trimethylphenol,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 229, pp. 33–38, 2012.
- R. G. Zepp, G. L. Baughman, and P. F. Schlotzhauer, “Comparison of photochemical behavior of various humic substances in water: I. Sunlight induced reactions of aquatic pollutants photosensitized by humic substances,” Chemosphere, vol. 10, pp. 109–117, 1981.
- R. G. Zepp, G. L. Baughman, and P. F. Schlotzhauer, “Comparison of photochemical behavior of various humic substances in water: II. Photosensitized oxygenations,” Chemosphere, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 1981.
- J. P. Aguer and C. Richard, “Reactive species produced on irradiation at 365 nm of aqueous solutions of humic acids,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 93, pp. 193–198, 1996.
- R. Andreozzi, V. Caprio, A. Insola, and R. Marotta, “Advanced oxidation processes (AOP) for water purification and recovery,” Catalysis Today, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 51–59, 1999.
- M. Qamar, M. Muneer, and D. Bahnemann, “Heterogeneous photocatalysed degradation of two selected pesticide derivatives, triclopyr and daminozid in aqueous suspensions of titanium dioxide,” Journal of Environmental Management, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 99–106, 2006.
- P. Calza, C. Massolino, and E. Pelizzetti, “Light induced transformations of selected organophosphorus pesticides on titanium dioxide: Pathways and by-products evaluation using LC-MS technique,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 199, no. 1, pp. 42–49, 2008.
- M. Abu Tariq, M. Faisal, M. Muneer, and D. Bahnemann, “Photochemical reactions of a few selected pesticide derivatives and other priority organic pollutants in aqueous suspensions of titanium dioxide,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 265, no. 1-2, pp. 231–236, 2007.
- C. Minero and D. Vione, “A quantitative evalution of the photocatalytic performance of TiO2 slurries,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 67, pp. 257–269, 2006.
- N. Serpone and A. Salinaro, “Terminology, relative photonic efficiencies and quantum yields in heterogeneous photocatalysis. Part I: suggested protocol,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 71, pp. 303–320, 1999.
- A. Salinaro, A. V. Emeline, J. Zhao, H. Hidaka, V. K. Ryabchuk, and N. Serpone, “Terminology, relative photonic efficiencies and quantum yields in heterogeneous photocatalysis. Part II: experimental determination of quantum yields,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 71, pp. 321–335, 1999.
- J. W. Trucker and C. Q. Thompson, “Dangers of using organophosphotus pesticides and diesel oil in fish ponds,” Aquaculture Magazine, vol. 13, pp. 62–63, 1987.
- H. Floesser-Mueller and W. Schwack, “Photochemistry of organophosphorus insecticides,” Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 172, pp. 129–228, 2001.
- G. Patrick, A. Chiri, D. Randall, L. Libelo, and J. Jones, “Fenamiphos environmental risk assessment,” US Environmental Protection Agency. Provided for SRRD by EFED’s Fenamiphos RED Team, http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/op/fenamiphos/env_risk.pdf, 2001.
- L. Lhomme, S. Brosillon, D. Wolbert, and J. Dussaud, “Photocatalytic degradation of a phenylurea, chlortoluron, in water using an industrial titanium dioxide coated media,” Applied Catalysis B, vol. 61, no. 3-4, pp. 227–235, 2005.
- C. Catastini, M. Sarakha, G. Mailhot, and M. Bolte, “Iron (III) aquacomplexes as effective photocatalysts for the degradation of pesticides in homogeneous aqueous solutions,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 298, no. 1–3, pp. 219–228, 2002.
- N. Brand, G. Mailhot, and M. Bolte, “Degradation photoinduced by Fe(III): method of alkylphenol ethoxylates removal in water,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 32, no. 18, pp. 2715–2720, 1998.
- H. Park and W. Choi, “Visible light and Fe(III)-mediated degradation of Acid Orange 7 in the absence of H2O2,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A, vol. 159, pp. 241–2247, 2003.
- W. Feng and D. Nansheng, “Photochemistry of hydrolytic iron (III) species and photoinduced degradation of organic compounds. A minireview,” Chemosphere, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1137–1147, 2000.
- H. J. Benkelberg and P. Warneck, “Photodecomposition of iron(III) hydroxo and sulfato complexes in aqueous solution: wavelength dependence of OH and SO4- quantum yields,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 99, pp. 5214–5221, 1995.
- S. P. Ramnani, S. Dhanya, and P. K. Bhattacharyya, “Pulse radiolytic studies on the reactions of some oxidizing and reducing radicals with sulfanilamide in aqueous medium,” Radiation Physics and Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 277–282, 1997.
- D. Behar and B. Behar, “Pulse radiolysis studies of aminobenzenesulfonates: formation of cation radicals,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 95, no. 19, pp. 7552–7556, 1991.
- U. Stafford, K. A. Gray, and P. V. Kamat, “Radiolytic and TiO2-assisted photocatalytic degradation of 4-chlorophenol. A comparative study,” Journal of Physical Chemistry, vol. 98, no. 25, pp. 6343–6351, 1994.