- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 924506, 11 pages
Application of Earth Observation Technology to Site Selection and Development of Ecotourism Management Plans in Rural Ghana
1Centre for Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Services, University of Ghana, PMB L17, Legon, Accra, Ghana
2Institutional Research, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania, 31 Delvin Terrace, Wilmington, DE 19805, USA
3Department of Economics and Finance, Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration, P.O. Box AH 50, Achimota, Accra, Ghana
4Department of Geography and Rural Development, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
Received 18 October 2012; Accepted 1 November 2012
Academic Editors: N. Frascaria-Lacoste, J. F. Negron, and P. Newton
Copyright © 2013 Selase Kofi Adanu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. Honeck, LDC Poverty Alleviation and the Doha Development Agenda: Is Tourism Being Neglected?World Trade Organization, 2008.
- UNCTAD, FDI in Tourism: The Development Dimension, UNCTAD Current Studies Bon FDI and Development No. 4, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- S. Beeton, Community Development Through Tourism, Landlink Press, Victoria, Australia, 2006.
- M. McAlpin, “Conservation and community-based development through ecotourism in the temperate rainforest of southern Chile,” Policy Sciences, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 51–69, 2008.
- R. Scheyvens, Tourism for Development: Empowering Communities, Prentice Hall, Essex, UK, 2002.
- R. Naidoo, G. Stuart-Hill, L. C. Weaver, J. Tagg, A. Davis, and A. Davidson, “Effect of diversity of large wildlife species on financial benefits to local communities in northwest Namibia,” Environmental and Resource Economics, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 321–335, 2011.
- V. Havel, Reflections-What Is Participation, The World Bank Participation Sourcebook, The World Bank, 1996.
- J. MaCarthy, “Nature based tourism: case study of Gunung Leuser,” Indonesia, 1999, http://www.istp.murdoch.edu.au/.
- World Travel and Tourism Environmental Research Centre (WTTERC), World Travel and Tourism Environment Review, World Travel and Tourism Environment Research Centre, Oxford, UK, 1993.
- C. M. Hall and S. J. Page, The Geography of Tourism and Recreation: Environment, Space and Place, Routledge, London, UK, 2006.
- V. C. Teye, “Commentary: tourism plans and Planning in Ghana,” Tourism Geographies, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 283–292, 1999.
- R. Ghosh and R. Kotey, Tourism Statistical Fact Sheet on Ghana, Institute of Statistical Social and Economic Research, University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana, 1973.
- G. Ayittey, The Tourism Multiplier Expenditure in Ghana, Department of Economics, University of Ghana, Tourist Control Board, Accra, Ghana, 1975.
- N. Erdogan and E. Baris, “Environmental protection programs and conservation practices of hotels in Ankara, Turkey,” Tourism Management, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 604–614, 2007.
- ISSER, State of the Ghanaian Economy in 2008, Institute of Statistical Social and Economic Research (ISSER), Legon, Ghana, 2008.
- J. R. Ayee, An Anatomy of Public Policy Implementation: The Case of Decentralisation Policies in Ghana (Avebury, Aldershot), Ashgate Publishing, Brookfield, Vt, USA, 1994.
- J. C. Murombedzi, “Devolution and stewardship in Zimbabwe’s campfire program,” Journal of International Development, vol. 11, pp. 287–293, 1999.
- J. I. Barnes, J. Macgregor, and L. C. Weaver, “Economic efficiency and incentives for change within Namibia's community wildlife use initiatives,” World Development, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 667–681, 2002.
- R. Pardini, “Effects of forest fragmentation on small mammals in an Atlantic Forest landscape,” Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 13, no. 13, pp. 2567–2586, 2004.
- L. Fahrig, “Relative effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on population extinction,” Journal of Wildlife Management, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 603–610, 1997.
- K. J. Feeley and J. W. Terborgh, “Direct versus indirect effects of habitat reduction on the loss of avian species from tropical forest fragments,” Animal Conservation, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 353–360, 2008.
- C. Kleinn, “New technologies and methodologies for national forest inventories,” Unasylva, vol. 53, no. 210, pp. 10–15, 2002.
- S. Chiba, I. Okochi, T. Ohbayashi et al., “Effects of habitat history and extinction selectivity on species-richness patterns of an island land snail fauna,” Journal of Biogeography, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 1913–1922, 2009.
- S. Cole, “Information and empowerment: the keys to achieving sustainable tourism,” Journal of Sustainable Tourism, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 629–644, 2006.
- T. William, New Geographies of the American West: Land Use and the Changing Patterns of Place, Island Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2007.
- V. Vincent and W. Thompson, “Assessing community support for eco-tourism development,” Journal of Applied Research, vol. 41, pp. 153–160, 2002.
- S. Wunder, “Ecotourism and economic incentives—an empirical approach,” Ecological Economics, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 465–479, 2000.
- J. Whiteman, “Ecotourism promotes, protects environment,” Forum for Applied Research and Public Policy, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 96–101, 1996.