- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 762614, 5 pages
Inhibition of LPS-Induced Activation of Coagulation by p38 MAPK Inhibitor
1Division of Neonatology, Department of Paediatrics, Medical School, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 430, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
2Department of Anesthesiology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
3Department of Anesthesiology, University of Giessen, Rudolf-Buchheim-Str. 7, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Received 5 December 2011; Accepted 27 December 2011
Academic Editors: L. Bordin and K. Oritani
Copyright © 2012 Lutz Koch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Akira and K. Takeda, “Toll-like receptor signalling,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 499–511, 2004.
- B. A. Beutler, “TLRs and innate immunity,” Blood, vol. 113, no. 7, pp. 1399–1407, 2009.
- E. M. Pålsson-McDermott and L. A. J. O'Neill, “Signal transduction by the lipopolysaccharide receptor, Toll-like receptor-4,” Immunology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 2004.
- R. S. Hotchkiss, P. E. Swanson, B. D. Freeman et al., “Apoptotic cell death in patients with sepsis, shock, and multiple organ dysfunction,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1230–1251, 1999.
- M. Levi and H. Ten Cate, “Disseminated intravascular coagulation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 341, no. 8, pp. 586–592, 1999.
- M. Ohsawa, T. Koyama, N. Nara, and S. Hirosawa, “Induction of tissue factor expression in human monocytic cells by protease inhibitors through activating activator protein-1 (AP-1) with phosphorylation of Jun-N-terminal kinase and p38,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 112, no. 5-6, pp. 313–320, 2004.
- N. Mackman, “Regulation of the tissue factor gene,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 747–754, 1997.
- L. Koch, S. Hofer, M. A. Weigand, D. Frommhold, and J. Poeschl, “Lipopolysaccharide-induced activation of coagulation in neonatal cord and adult blood monitored by thrombelastography,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 124, no. 4, pp. 463–467, 2009.
- M. T. Ganter and C. K. Hofer, “Coagulation monitoring: current techniques and clinical use of viscoelastic point-of-care coagulation devices,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 106, no. 5, pp. 1366–1375, 2008.
- L. Koch, B. Fritzsching, D. Frommhold, and J. Poeschl, “Lipopolysaccharide-induced expression of Th1/Th2 cytokines in whole neonatal cord and adult blood: role of nuclear factor-kappa B and p38 MAPK,” Neonatology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 140–145, 2011.
- S. V. Mallett and D. J. A. Cox, “Thrombelastography,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 307–313, 1992.
- M. Hartmann, S. Özlügedik, and J. Peters, “Thiopental inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced tissue factor expression,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 109–113, 2009.
- K. Zacharowski, C. Sucker, P. Zacharowski, and M. Hartmann, “Thrombelastography for the monitoring of lipopolysaccharide induced activation of coagulation,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 557–561, 2006.
- E. L. R. Swennen, A. Bast, and P. C. Dagnelie, “Immunoregulatory effects of adenosine 5′-triphosphate on cytokine release from stimulated whole blood,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 852–858, 2005.
- A. Nooteboom, G. J. Van der Linden, and T. Hendriks, “Tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-1β mediate endothelial permeability induced by lipopolysaccharide-stimulated whole blood,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 2063–2068, 2002.
- M. S. Dehoux, S. Hernot, K. Asehnoune et al., “Cardiopulmonary bypass decreases cytokine production in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated whole blood cells: roles of interleukin-10 and the extracorporeal circuit,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1721–1727, 2000.
- J. M. B. Pöschl, C. Leray, P. Ruef, J. P. Cazenave, and O. Linderkamp, “Endotoxin binding to erythrocyte membrane and erythrocyte deformability in human sepsis and in vitro,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 924–928, 2003.
- J. Kraatz, L. Clair, J. L. Rodriguez, and M. A. West, “Macrophage TNF secretion in endotoxin tolerance: role of SAPK, p38, and MAPK,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 158–164, 1999.
- B. D. Shames, C. H. Selzman, E. J. Pulido et al., “LPS-induced NF-κB activation and TNF-α release in human monocytes are protein tyrosine kinase dependent and protein kinase C independent,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 69–74, 1999.
- E. De Jonge, P. E. P. Dekkers, A. A. Creasey et al., “Tissue factor pathway inhibitor dose-dependently inhibits coagulation activation without influencing the fibrinolytic and cytokine response during human endotoxemia,” Blood, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1124–1129, 2000.
- M. Levi, H. Ten Cate, K. A. Bauer et al., “Inhibition of endotoxin-induced activation of coagulation and fibrinolysis by pentoxifylline or by a monoclonal anti-tissue factor antibody in chimpanzees,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 114–120, 1994.
- A. J. Chu, Z. G. Wang, M. A. Walton, and A. Seto, “Involvement of MAPK activation in bacterial endotoxin-inducible tissue factor upregulation in human monocytic THP-1 cells,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 85–90, 2001.
- T. Van der Poll, M. Levi, C. E. Hack et al., “Elimination of interleukin 6 attenuates coagulation activation in experimental endotoxemia in chimpanzees,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 179, no. 4, pp. 1253–1259, 1994.
- C. T. Esmon, “The impact of the inflammatory response on coagulation,” Thrombosis Research, vol. 114, no. 5-6, pp. 321–327, 2004.
- J. Branger, B. Van Den Blink, S. Weijer et al., “Anti-inflammatory effects of a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitor during human endotoxemia,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 168, no. 8, pp. 4070–4077, 2002.
- J. Hambleton, S. L. Weinstein, L. Lem, and A. L. Defranco, “Activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase in bacterial lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophages,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2774–2778, 1996.
- M. Karin, Z. G. Liu, and E. Zandi, “AP-1 function and regulation,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 240–246, 1997.
- C. Olsnes, J. Olofsson, and H. J. Aarstad, “MAPKs ERK and p38, but not JNK phosphorylation, modulate IL-6 and TNF-α secretion following OK-432 in vitro stimulation of purified human monocytes,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 74, pp. 114–125, 2011.
- J. Branger, B. Van den Blink, S. Weijer et al., “Inhibition of coagulation, fibrinolysis, and endothelial cell activation by a p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase inhibitor during human endotoxemia,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 11, pp. 4446–4448, 2003.