- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 648246, 7 pages
A New Approach in Modifying Polymeric Coatings to Increase Corrosion Resistance Properties
1University of Windsor, 401 Sunset Avenue, Windsor, ON, N9B 3P4, Canada
2Materials Engineering Department, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Received 8 February 2013; Accepted 5 March 2013
Academic Editors: Y. Masuda, N. Uekawa, and R. A. Varin
Copyright © 2013 Alisina Toloei et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Peprnicek, J. Duchet, L. Kovarova, J. Malac, J. F. Gerard, and J. Simonik, “Poly(vinyl chloride)/clay nanocomposites: x-ray diffraction, thermal and rheological behaviour,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 91, no. 8, pp. 1855–1860, 2006.
- J. Y. Lee and H. K. Lee, “Characterization of organobentonite used for polymer nanocomposites,” Materials Chemistry and Physics, vol. 85, pp. 410–415, 2004.
- J. Morawiec, A. Pawlak, M. Slouf, A. Galeski, E. Piorkowska, and N. Krasnikowa, “Preparation and properties of compatibilized LDPE/organo-modified montmorillonite nanocomposites,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1115–1122, 2005.
- G. Gorrasi, M. Tortora, V. Vittoria et al., “Vapor barrier properties of polycaprolactone montmorillonite nanocomposites: effect of clay dispersion,” Polymer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 2271–2279, 2003.
- Y. Someya and M. Shibata, “Morphology, thermal, and viscoelastic properties of poly(glycidyl methacrylate-co-methyl methacrylate)-based nanocomposites with various organo-modified clays,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 13, pp. 4891–4898, 2005.
- J. Park and S. C. Jana, “Adverse effects of thermal dissociation of alkyl ammonium ions on nanoclay exfoliation in epoxy-clay systems,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 22, pp. 7673–7679, 2004.
- X. Cao, L. James Lee, T. Widya, and C. Macosko, “Polyurethane/clay nanocomposites foams: processing, structure and properties,” Polymer, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 775–783, 2005.
- R. K. Shah and D. R. Paul, “Organoclay degradation in melt processed polyethylene nanocomposites,” Polymer, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 4075–4084, 2006.
- A. Gu and G. Liang, “Thermal degradation behaviour and kinetic analysis of epoxy/montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, vol. 80, pp. 383–391, 2003.
- J. M. Yeh, C. L. Chen, Y. C. Chen et al., “Enhancement of corrosion protection effect of poly(o-ethoxyaniline) via the formation of poly(o-ethoxyaniline)-clay nanocomposite materials,” Polymer, vol. 43, pp. 2729–2746, 2002.
- T. T. X. Hang, T. A. Truc, T. H. Nam, V. K. Oanh, J. B. Jorcin, and N. Pébère, “Corrosion protection of carbon steel by an epoxy resin containing organically modified clay,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 201, no. 16-17, pp. 7408–7415, 2007.
- T. Sugama:, “Polyphenylenesulfied/montomorillonite clay nanocomposite coatings: their efficacy in protecting steel against corrosion,” Materials Letters, vol. 60, pp. 2700–2706, 2006.
- J. M. Yeh, H. Y. Huang, C. L. Chen, W. F. Su, and Y. H. Yu:, “Siloxane-modified epoxy resin-clay nanocomposite coatings with advanced anticorrosive properties prepared by a solution dispersion approach,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 200, pp. 2753–2763, 2006.
- M. S. Hedenqvist, A. Backman, M. Gällstedt, R. H. Boyd, and U. W. Gedde:, “Morphology and diffusion properties of whey/montmorillonite nanocomposites,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 66, pp. 2350–2359, 2006.
- I. Hackman and L. Hollaway, “Epoxy-layered silicate nanocomposites in civil engineering,” Composites A, vol. 37, pp. 1161–1170, 2006.
- T. A. Truc, T. T. X Hang, V. K. Oanh et al., “Incorporation of an indole-3 butyric acid modified clay in epoxy resin for corrosion protection of carbon steel,” Surface and Coatings Technology, vol. 202, no. 20, pp. 4945–4951, 2008.
- A. Usuki, T. Mizutani, Y. Fukushima, M. Fujimoto, and O. Kamigaito, “Composite material containing a layered silicate,” U.S. Patent 4889885, 1989.
- T. Massam and T. J. Pinnavaia, “Clay nanolayer reinforcement of a glassy epoxy polymer,” in Proceedings of the Materials Research Society Symposium, vol. 520, 1998.
- I. J. Chin, T. Thurn-Albrecht, H. C. Kim, T. P. Russell, and J. Wang, “On exfoliation of montmorillonite in epoxy,” Polymer, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 5947–5952, 2001.
- S. J. Park, D. I. Seo, and J. R. Lee:, “Surface modification of montmorillonite on surface acid-base characteristics of clay and thermal stability of epoxy/clay nanocomposites,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 251, pp. 160–165, 2002.
- K. Zhang, L. Wang, F. Wang, G. Wang, and Z. Li:, “Preparation and characterization of modified-clay-reinforced and toughened epoxy-resin nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 91, pp. 2649–2652, 2004.
- A. Lee and J. D. Lichtenhan, “Thermal and viscoelastic property of epoxy-clay and hybrid inorganic-organic epoxy nanocomposites,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 73, pp. 1993–2001, 1999.
- W. Li, H. Tian, and B. Hou:, “Corrosion performance of epoxy coatings modified by nanoparticulate SiO2,” Materials and Corrosion, vol. 63, pp. 44–53, 2012.
- F. Mansfeld, An Introduction to Electrochemical Impedance Measurement, 2nd edition, 1999.
- S. Tait, An Introduction to Electrochemical Corrosion Testing for Practical Engineers and Science, Pair O Docs Professionals, Madison, Wis, USA, 2nd edition, 1994.