- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 585496, 11 pages
Numerical Study of Fluid Dynamic and Heat Transfer in a Compact Heat Exchanger Using Nanofluids
Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Universiti Tenaga Nasional, Km7, Jalan Kajang-Puchong, 43009 Kajang, Malaysia
Received 5 November 2011; Accepted 19 December 2011
Academic Editors: S. W. Chang, A. E. Huespe, K. Y. Suh, and B. Yu
Copyright © 2012 P. Gunnasegaran et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. M. Kays and A. L. London, Compact Heat Exchanger, McGraw-Hill, USA, 3rd edition, 1984.
- S. U. S. Choi, “Enhancing thermal conductivity of fluids with nanoparticles,” in Developments and Applications of Non-Newtonian Flows, D. A. Siginer and H. P. Wang, Eds., FED-V.231/MD-V.66, pp. 99–105, ASME, New York, NY, USA, 1995.
- S. K. Das, N. Putra, P. Thiesen, and W. Roetzel, “Temperature dependence of thermal conductivity enhancement for nanofluids,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 125, no. 4, pp. 567–574, 2003.
- V. Trisaksri and S. Wongwises, “Critical review of heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 512–523, 2007.
- X. Q. Wang and A. S. Mujumdar, “Heat transfer characteristics of nanofluids: a review,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2007.
- R. L. Webb, Principles of Enhanced Heat Transfer, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1993.
- X. Wang, X. Xu, and S. U.S. Choi, “Thermal conductivity of nanoparticle-fluid mixture,” Journal of thermophysics and heat transfer, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 474–480, 1999.
- H. Xie, J. Wang, T. Xi, Y. Liu, F. Ai, and Q. Wu, “Thermal conductivity enhancement of suspensions containing nanosized alumina particles,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 91, no. 7, p. 4568, 2002.
- J. A. Eastman, S. U. S. Choi, S. Li, W. Yu, and L. J. Thompson, “Anomalously increased effective thermal conductivities of ethylene glycol-based nanofluids containing copper nanoparticles,” Applied Physics Letters, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 718–720, 2001.
- K. Y. Leong, R. Saidur, S. N. Kazi, and A. H. Mamun, “Performance investigation of an automotive car radiator operated with nanofluid-based coolants (nanofluid as a coolant in a radiator),” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 17-18, pp. 2685–2692, 2010.
- B. Farajollahi, S. G. Etemad, and M. Hojjat, “Heat transfer of nanofluids in a shell and tube heat exchanger,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, no. 1–3, pp. 12–17, 2010.
- R. S. Vajjha, D. K. Das, and P. K. Namburu, “Numerical study of fluid dynamic and heat transfer performance of Al2O3 and CuO nanofluids in the flat tubes of a radiator,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 613–621, 2010.
- D. G. Charyulu, G. Singh, and J. K. Sharma, “Performance evaluation of a radiator in a diesel engine—a case study,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 625–639, 1999.
- M. N. Pantzali, A. A. Mouza, and S. V. Paras, “Investigating the efficacy of nanofluids as coolants in plate heat exchangers (PHE),” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 64, no. 14, pp. 3290–3300, 2009.
- S. E. B. Maiga, S. J. Palm, C. T. Nguyen, G. Roy, and N. Galanis, “Heat transfer enhancement by using nanofluids in forced convection flows,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 530–546, 2005.
- V. Vasu, K. R. Krishna, and A. C. S. Kumar, “Application of nanofluids in thermal design of compact heat exchanger,” The International Journal of Nanotechnology and Applications, vol. 2, pp. 75–87, 2008.
- A. P. Frass, Heat Exchanger Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 1989.
- S. U. S. Choi, Z. G. Zhang, and P. Keblinski, “Nanofluids,” in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 6, pp. 757–773, 2004.
- Y. Xuan and W. Roetzel, “Conceptions for heat transfer correlation of nanofluids,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 43, no. 19, pp. 3701–3707, 2000.
- J. C. Maxwell, A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism, Oxford University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2nd edition, 1904.
- A. Einstein, Investigations on the Theory of the Brownian Movement, Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, 1956.
- A. Akbarinia and A. Behzadmehr, “Numerical study of laminar mixed convection of a nanofluid in horizontal curved tubes,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 27, no. 8-9, pp. 1327–1337, 2007.
- J. Lee and I. Mudawar, “Assessment of the effectiveness of nanofluids for single-phase and two-phase heat transfer in micro-channels,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 452–463, 2007.
- J. D. Anderson, Computational Fluid Dynamic: The Basics with Applications, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA.
- K. W. Park and H. Y. Pak, “Flow and heat transfer characteristics in flat tubes of a radiator,” Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 19–40, 2002.
- F. P. Incropera and D. P. DeWitt, Introduction to Heat Transfer, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 1996.
- S. V. Patankar, Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow, Hemisphere Inc., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- B. E. Launder and D. B. Spalding, Mathematical Models of Turbulence, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA.
- H. A. Mohammed, P. Gunnasegaran, and N. H. Shuaib, “Influence of various base nanofluids and substrate materials on heat transfer in trapezoidal microchannel heat sinks,” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 194–201, 2011.
- S. M. S. Murshed, K. C. Leong, and C. Yang, “Thermophysical and electrokinetic properties of nanofluids—a critical review,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 28, no. 17-18, pp. 2109–2125, 2008.
- G. H. Ko, K. Heo, K. Lee et al., “An experimental study on the pressure drop of nanofluids containing carbon nanotubes in a horizontal tube,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 50, no. 23-24, pp. 4749–4753, 2007.
- W. Duangthongsuk and S. Wongwises, “An experimental study on the heat transfer performance and pressure drop of TiO2-water nanofluids flowing under a turbulent flow regime,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 53, no. 1–3, pp. 334–344, 2010.
- C. J. Ho, L. C. Wei, and Z. W. Li, “An experimental investigation of forced convective cooling performance of a microchannel heat sink with Al2O3/water nanofluid,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 2-3, pp. 96–103, 2010.
- L. F. Moody, “Friction factors for pipe flow,” Journal of Heat Transfer, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 671–684, 1944.