- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Mechanical Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 704340, 14 pages
Energy Analysis and Performance Evaluation of the Adsorption Refrigeration System
Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Alfaisal University, Takhassusi Street, P.O. Box 50927, Riyadh 11533, Saudi Arabia
Received 13 November 2012; Accepted 29 November 2012
Academic Editors: W. Dai and A. Z. Sahin
Copyright © 2013 H. Z. Hassan. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. X. Diebold and R. S. Mariano, “Comparing predictive accuracy,” Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, vol. 13, pp. 253–263, 1995.
- H. Z. Hassan and A. A. Mohamad, “A review on solar cold production through absorption technology,” Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 5331–5348, 2012.
- L. W. Wang, R. Z. Wang, and R. G. Oliveira, “A review on adsorption working pairs for refrigeration,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 518–534, 2009.
- H. Z. Hassan, A. Mohamad, and R. Bennacer, “Simulation of an adsorption solar cooling system,” Energy, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 530–537, 2011.
- F. Meunier and N. Douss, “Performance of adsorption heat pumps. Active carbon-methanol and zeolite-water pairs,” ASHRAE Transactions, vol. 2, pp. 267–274, 1990.
- R. Z. Wang, J. P. Jia, Y. H. Zhu et al., “Study on a new solid absorption refrigeration pair: active carbon fiber—methanol,” Journal of Solar Energy Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 214–218, 1997.
- B. B. Saha, I. I. El-Sharkawy, A. Chakraborty, and S. Koyama, “Study on an activated carbon fiber-ethanol adsorption chiller—part II—performance evaluation,” International Journal of Refrigeration, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 96–102, 2007.
- M. Louajari, A. Mimet, and A. Ouammi, “Study of the effect of finned tube adsorber on the performance of solar driven adsorption cooling machine using activated carbon-ammonia pair,” Applied Energy, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 690–698, 2011.
- D. C. Wang and J. P. Zhang, “Design and performance prediction of an adsorption heat pump with multi-cooling tubes,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1157–1162, 2009.
- E. E. Anyanwu and N. V. Ogueke, “Thermodynamic design procedure for solid adsorption solar refrigerator,” Renewable Energy, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 81–96, 2005.
- B. Choudhury, P. K. Chatterjee, and J. P. Sarkar, “Review paper on solar-powered air-conditioning through adsorption route,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 8, pp. 2189–2195, 2010.
- D. C. Wang, Y. H. Li, D. Li, Y. Z. Xia, and J. P. Zhang, “A review on adsorption refrigeration technology and adsorption deterioration in physical adsorption systems,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 344–353, 2010.
- O. S. Headley, A. F. Kothdiwala, and I. A. McDoom, “Charcoal-methanol adsorption refrigerator powered by a compound parabolic concentrating solar collector,” Solar Energy, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 191–197, 1994.
- M. I. González and L. R. Rodríguez, “Solar-powered adsorption chiller with CPC collection system: collector design and experimental results,” in Proceedings of ISES World Congress, vol. 1, pp. 916–920, 2007.
- M. I. González and L. R. Rodríguez, “Solar powered adsorption refrigerator with CPC collection system: collector design and experimental test,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 2587–2594, 2007.
- C. Hildbrand, P. Dind, M. Pons, and F. Buchter, “A new solar powered adsorption refrigerator with high performance,” Solar Energy, vol. 77, no. 3, pp. 311–318, 2004.
- M. Li, R. Z. Wang, Y. X. Xu, J. Y. Wu, and A. O. Dieng, “Experimental study on dynamic performance analysis of a flat-plate solar solid-adsorption refrigeration for ice maker,” Renewable Energy, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 211–221, 2002.
- M. Li and R. Z. Wang, “A study of the effects of collector and environment parameters on the performance of a solar powered solid adsorption refrigerator,” Renewable Energy, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 369–382, 2002.
- K. C. A. Alam, B. B. Saha, A. Akisawa, and T. Kashiwagi, “Optimization of a solar driven adsorption refrigeration system,” Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 741–753, 2001.
- N. V. Ogueke and E. E. Anyanwu, “Design improvements for a collector/generator/adsorber of a solid adsorption solar refrigerator,” Renewable Energy, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2428–2440, 2008.
- A. El Fadar, A. Mimet, A. Azzabakh, M. Pérez-García, and J. Castaing, “Study of a new solar adsorption refrigerator powered by a parabolic trough collector,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 29, no. 5-6, pp. 1267–1270, 2009.
- J. J. Guilleminot, F. Meunier, and B. Mischler, “Étude de cycles intermittents à adsorption solide pour la réfrigération solaire,” Revue de Physique Appliquée, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 441–452, 1980.
- R. E. Critoph, “Performance limitations of adsorption cycles for solar cooling,” Solar Energy, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 21–31, 1988.
- L. Luo and M. Feidt, “Thermodynamics of adsorption cycles: a theoretical study,” Heat Transfer Engineering, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 19–31, 1992.
- F. Mhiri and S. El Golli, “Etude d'un refrigerateur solaire a adsorption solide avec le couple charbon actif-methanol,” Revue Generate de Thermique, vol. 35, no. 412, pp. 269–277, 1996.
- Y. Teng, R. Z. Wang, and J. Y. Wu, “Study of the fundamentals of adsorption systems,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 327–338, 1997.
- H. Z. Hassan, A. A. Mohamad, and H. A. Al-Ansary, “Development of a continuously operating solar-driven adsorption cooling system: thermodynamic analysis and parametric study,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 48, pp. 332–341, 2012.
- J. Rouquerol, D. Avnir, C. W. Fairbridge et al., “Recommendations for the characterization of porous solids,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, vol. 66, pp. 1739–1758, 1994.
- J. Rouqucrol, F. Rodriguez-Rcinoso, and K. S. W. Sing, “Characterization of porous solids—III. studies in surface science and catalysis,” in Proceedings of the IUPAC Symposium (COPS Ill), pp. 9–12, Marseille, France, 1993.
- H. Marsh and F. Rodríguez-Reinoso, Activated Carbon, Elsevier, Boston, Mass, USA, 1st edition, 2006.
- R. C. Bansal and M. Goyal, Activated Carbon Adsorption, Taylor & Francis, Bocaraton, Fla, USA, 2005.
- D. D. Duong, Adsorption Analysis: Equilibria and Kinetics, Series on Chemical Engineering, vol. 2, Imperial College Press, London, UK, 1998.
- D. M. Ruthven, S. Farooq, and K. S. Knaebel, Pressure Swing Adsorption, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- M. M. Dubinin and V. A. Astakhov, “Development of the concepts of volume filling of micropores in the adsorption of gases and vapors by microporous adsorbents—Communication 2. General bases of the theory of adsorption of gases and vapors on zeolites,” Bulletin of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR Division of Chemical Science, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 8–12, 1971.
- M. M. Dubinin and V. A. Astakhov, “Description of adsorption equilibria of vapors on zeolites over wide eanges of temperature and pressure,” Advances in Chemistry Series, vol. 102, pp. 69–85, 1971.
- M. M. Dubinin, “Physical adsorption of gases and vapors in micropores,” Progress in Surface and Membrane Science, vol. 9, pp. 1–70, 1975.
- B. B. Saha, A. Akisawa, and T. Kashiwagi, “Solar/waste heat driven two-stage adsorption chiller: the prototype,” Renewable Energy, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 93–101, 2001.
- Y. A. Cengel and M. A. Boles, Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, McGraw-Hill, 7th edition, 2011.
- A. Bejan, Advanced Engineering Thermodynamics, John Wiley & Sons, 3rd edition, 2006.
- K. M. de Reuck, Methanol, International Thermodynamic Tables of the Uid State, vol. 12, Blackwell Science, 1993.