- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 631096, 7 pages
Effect of Isothermal Holding on Semisolid Microstructure of Al–Mg2Si Composites
1School of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, University of Tehran, P.O. Box 14395-731, Tehran, Iran
2Center of Excellence for Advanced Materials and Processing (CEAMP), School of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, Iran University of Science and Technology (IUST), Narmak, Tehran 16846-13114, Iran
Received 5 February 2012; Accepted 3 April 2012
Academic Editors: A. Chrysanthou, C.-G. Kang, D. V. Louzguine-Luzgin, G. Purcek, J. M. Rodriguez-Ibabe, and A. Squillace
Copyright © 2012 A. Malekan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Q. D. Qin, Y. G. Zhao, P. J. Cong, W. Zhou, and Y. H. Liang, “Functionally graded Mg2Si/Al composite produced by an electric arc remelting process,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, vol. 420, no. 1-2, pp. 121–125, 2006.
- Q. D. Qin, Y. G. Zhao, K. Xiu, W. Zhou, and Y. H. Liang, “Microstructure evolution of in situ Mg2Si/Al–Si–Cu composite in semisolid remelting processing,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 407, no. 1-2, pp. 196–200, 2005.
- Q. D. Qin, Y. G. Zhao, P. J. Cong, W. Zhou, and B. Xu, “Semisolid microstructure of Mg2Si/Al composite by cooling slope cast and its evolution during partial remelting process,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 444, no. 1-2, pp. 99–103, 2007.
- H. V. Atkinson, “Modelling the semisolid processing of metallic alloys,” Progress in Materials Science, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 341–412, 2005.
- J. Zhang, Z. Fan, Y. Q. Wang, and B. L. Zhou, “Microstructural development of Al–15wt.%Mg2Si in situ composite with mischmetal addition,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 281, no. 1-2, pp. 104–112, 2000.
- J. Zhang, Z. Fan, Y. Q. Wang, and B. L. Zhou, “Effect of cooling rate on the microstructure of hypereutectic Al–Mg2Si alloys,” Journal of Materials Science Letters, vol. 19, no. 20, pp. 1825–1828, 2000.
- M. P. Kenney, J. A. Courtois, R. D. Evans, et al., Metals Handbook, vol. 15, ASM International, Metals Park, Ohio, USA, 9th edition, 1988.
- P. J. Ward, H. V. Atkinson, P. R. G. Anderson et al., “Semi-solid processing of novel MMCs based on hypereutectic aluminium-silicon alloys,” Acta Materialia, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 1717–1727, 1996.
- K. P. Young, C. P. Kyonka, and J. A. Courtois, “Fine grained metal composition,” United States Patent US 441537430, 1982.
- D. H. Kirkwood, C. M. Sellars, and L. G. Elias-Boyed, “Thixotropic materials,” European Patent 0305375 B1, 1992.
- A. Mitsuru, S. Hiroto, H. Yasunori, and S. Tatsuo, “Method and apparatus of shaping semisolid metals,” European Patent 0745694A1, UBE Industries Ltd., 1996.
- A. Malekan, M. Emamy, J. Rassizadehghani, and A. R. Emami, “The effect of solution temperature on the microstructure and tensile properties of Al–15%Mg2Si composite,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 2701–2709, 2011.
- R. Hadian, M. Emamy, N. Varahram, and N. Nemati, “The effect of Li on the tensile properties of cast Al–Mg2Si metal matrix composite,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 490, no. 1-2, pp. 250–257, 2008.
- L. Lu, K. K. Thong, and M. Gupta, “Mg-based composite reinforced by Mg2Si,” Composites Science and Technology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 627–632, 2003.
- M. Mabuchi and K. Higashi, “Strengthening mechanisms of Mg–Si alloys,” Acta Materialia, vol. 44, no. 11, pp. 4611–4618, 1996.
- M. Emamy, H. R. Jafari Nodooshan, and A. Malekan, “The microstructure, hardness and tensile properties of Al–15%Mg2Si in situ composite with yttrium addition,” Materials and Design, vol. 32, no. 8-9, pp. 4559–4566, 2011.
- W. R. Loue and M. Suery, “Microstructural evolution during partial remelting of Al–Si7Mg alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 203, no. 1-2, pp. 1–13, 1995.
- J. L. Wang, Y. H. Su, and C. Y. A. Tsao, “Structural evolution of conventional cast dendritic and spray-cast non-dendritic structures during isothermal holding in the semi-solid state,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 2003–2007, 1997.
- M. C. Flemings and A. Mortensen, “Solidification of binary hypoeutectic alloy matrix composite castings,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 595–609, 1996.
- E. Tzimas and A. Zavaliangos, “A comparative characterization of near-equiaxed microstructures as produced by spray casting, magnetohydrodynamic casting and the stress induced, melt activated process,” Materials Science and Engineering A, vol. 289, no. 1, pp. 217–227, 2000.
- R. D. Doherty, H. I. Lee, and E. A. Feest, “Microstructure of stir-cast metals,” Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 65, no. 1, pp. 181–189, 1984.