- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
ISRN Materials Science
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 106484, 6 pages
Development of Piezoelectric Ultrasonic Thrombolysis Device for Blood Clot Emulsification
1Division of Materials Technology, School of Materials Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, 639798, Singapore
2Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Drive, 637553, Singapore
3National University Heart Centre, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, 119074, Singapore
4National University Health System, National University of Singapore, 1E, Kent Ridge Road, 119228, Singapore
Received 15 February 2012; Accepted 13 March 2012
Academic Editors: M. Martino and Y. Zhou
Copyright © 2012 Tao Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Atar, H. Luo, T. Nagai, and R. J. Siegel, “Ultrasonic thrombolysis: catheter-delivered and transcutaneous applications,” European Journal of Ultrasound, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 39–54, 1999.
- D. Brosh, H. I. Miller, I. Herz, S. Laniado, and U. Rosenschein, “Ultrasound angioplasty: an update review International,” Journal of Cardiovascular Interventions, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1998.
- J. Ma, F. H. A. Low, and Y. C. F. Boey, “Micro-emulsifier for arterial thrombus removal,” PCT/SG2008/000323, WO 2010/027325 A1.
- A. D. Janis, L. A. Buckley, and K. W. Gregory, “Laser thrombolysis in an in-vitro model,” Proceedings of The International Society for Optical Engineering, vol. 3907, pp. 582–599, 2000.
- R. J. Siegel and H. Luo, “Ultrasound thrombolysis,” Ultrasonics, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 312–320, 2008.
- W. W. Cimino and L. J. Bond, “Physics of ultrasonic surgery using tissue fragmentation,” Ultrasonics, vol. 34, no. 2–5, pp. 579–585, 1996.
- K. K. Chan, D. J. Watmough, D. T. Hope, and K. Moir, “A new motor-driven surgical probe and its in vitro comparison with the Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 279–283, 1986.
- J. Tschepe, A. A. Aspidov, J. Helfmann, and M. Herrig, “Acoustical waves via optical fibers for biomedical applications,” Proceedings of Biomedical Optoelectronic Devices and Systems, vol. 2084, pp. 133–143, 1994.
- U. Rosenschein, A. Frimerman, S. Laniado, and H. I. Miller, “Study of the mechanism of ultrasound angioplasty from human thrombi and bovine aorta,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 74, no. 12, pp. 1263–1266, 1994.
- R. J. Siegel, V. N. Suchkova, T. Miyamoto et al., “Ultrasound energy improves myocardial perfusion in the presence of coronary occlusion,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 1454–1458, 2004.
- C. W. Hamm, W. Steffen, W. Terres et al., “Intravascular therapeutic ultrasound thrombolysis in acute myocardial infarctions,” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 80, no. 2, pp. 200–204, 1997.
- R. J. Siegel, M. C. Fishbein, J. Forrester et al., “Ultrasonic plaque ablation: a new method for recanalization of partially or totally occluded arteries,” Circulation, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 1443–1448, 1988.
- T. A. Fischell, M. A. Abbas, G. W. Grant, and R. J. Siegel, “Ultrasonic energy. Effects on vascular function and integrity,” Circulation, vol. 84, no. 4, pp. 1783–1795, 1991.
- S. W. Choi, A. J. Saltzman, A. Dabreo et al., “Low power ultrasound delivered through a PTCA-like guidewire: preclinical feasibility and safety of a novel technology for intracoronary thrombolysis,” Journal of Interventional Cardiology, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2006.
- G. P. Gavina, G. B. McGuinnessa, F. Dolanb, and M. S. J. Hashmia, “Performance characteristics of a therapeutic ultrasound wire waveguide apparatus,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 298–305, 2007.
- U. Rosenschein, L. A. Rozenszajn, L. Kraus et al., “Ultrasonic angioplasty in totally occluded peripheral arteries: initial clinical, histological, and angiographic results,” Circulation, vol. 83, no. 6, pp. 1976–1986, 1991.
- J. E. Wildberger, T. Schmitz-Rode, P. Haage, J. Pfeffer, A. Ruebben, and R. W. Günther, “Ultrasound thrombolysis in hemodialysis access: in vitro investigation,” CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 53–56, 2001.
- C. W. Francis, “Ultrasound-enhanced thrombolysis,” Echocardiography, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 239–246, 2001.
- R. J. Siegel, S. Atar, M. C. Fishbein et al., “Noninvasive, transthoracic, low-frequency ultrasound augments thrombolysis in a canine model of acute myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 101, no. 17, pp. 2026–2029, 2000.
- W. P. Mason and J. Wehr, “Internal friction and ultrasonic yield stress of the alloy 90 Ti 6 Al 4 V,” Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, vol. 31, no. 8, pp. 1925–1933, 1970.
- T. Li, Y. Chen, and J. Ma, “Development of a miniaturized piezoelectric ultrasonic transducer,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 649–659, 2009.
- L. Tao, C. Yanhong, L. F. Ling, and M. Jan, “Design, characterization, and analysis of a miniaturized piezoelectric transducer,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 221–226, 2010.
- International Standard, IEC 61847, 1998-01, Ultrasonics-surgical systems-measurement and declaration of the basic output characteristics.
- A. Philipp and W. Lauterborn, “Cavitation erosion by single laser-produced bubbles,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 361, pp. 75–116, 1998.
- O. V. Abramov, High-Intensity Ultrasonics Theory and Industrial Applications, Cordon and Breach Science Publishers, Moscow, Russia, 1998.
- K. Suzuki, K. Han, S. Okano, J. Soejima, and Y. Koike, “Application of novel ultrasonic cleaning equipment using waveguide mode for post-chemical-mechanical-planarization cleaning,” Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 48, no. 7, Article ID 07GM04, 2009.
- P. Koch, R. Mettin, and W. Lauterborn, “Simulation of cavitation bubbles in travelling acoustic waves,” in Proceedings of the Joint Congress (CFA/DAGA '04), pp. 919–920, Strasbourg, France, March 2004.
- T. Li, Y. H. Chen, and J. Ma, “Frequency dependence of piezoelectric vibration velocity,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 138, no. 2, pp. 404–410, 2007.