- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 187354, 9 pages
Encapsulation of Berberine in Nano-Sized PLGA Synthesized by Emulsification Method
1Department of Chemistry, Momin College, Maharashtra, Bhiwandi, India
2N.S.N. Research Centre for Nanotechnology & Bionanotechnology, Jambhul Phata, Maharashtra, Ambernath 421 505, India
Received 30 April 2012; Accepted 17 July 2012
Academic Editors: Y. I. Jeong, C. Li, and P. Perriat
Copyright © 2012 Manisha Khemani et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. F. Liu, “DNA topoisomerase poisons as antitumor drugs,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 58, pp. 351–375, 1989.
- I. Bala, S. Hariharan, and M. N. V. R. Kumar, “PLGA nanoparticles in drug delivery: The state of the art,” Critical Reviews in Therapeutic Drug Carrier Systems, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 387–422, 2004.
- O. Kucuk, “Chemoprevention of prostate cancer,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 111–124, 2002.
- S. Barnes, “Role of phytochemicals in prevention and treatment of prostate cancer,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 102–105, 2001.
- J. Cheng, B. A. Teply, I. Sherifi et al., “Formulation of functionalized PLGA-PEG nanoparticles for in vivo targeted drug delivery,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 869–876, 2007.
- G. V. Sathyavathi, A. K. Gupta, N. Tandon, et al., Medicinal Plants of India, vol. 2, Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi, India, 1987.
- K. Fukuda, Y. Hibiya, M. Mutoh, M. Koshiji, S. Akao, and H. Fujiwara, “Inhibition of activator protein 1 activity by berberine in human hepatoma cells,” Planta Medica, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 381–383, 1999.
- J. G. Lin, J. G. Chung, and L. T. Wu, “Effects of berberine on arylamine Nacetyl-transferase activity in human colon tumor cells,” The American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 27, pp. 265–275, 1999.
- K. Fukuda, Y. Hibiya, M. Mutoh, M. Koshiji, S. Akao, and H. Fujiwara, “Inhibition by berberine of cyclooxygenase-2 transcriptional activity in human colon cancer cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 227–233, 1999.
- S. Szeto, C. M. N. Yow, and K. W. Fung, “Characterization of berberine on human cancer cells in culture,” Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 363–368, 2002.
- A. M. Roy, M. S. Baliga, C. A. Elmets, and S. K. Katiyar, “Grape seed proanthocyanidins induce apoptosis through p53, bax, and caspase 3 pathways,” Neoplasia, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 24–36, 2005.
- P. Ahlin, J. Kristl, A. Kristl, and F. Vrečer, “Investigation of polymeric nanoparticles as carriers of enalaprilat for oral administration,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 239, no. 1-2, pp. 113–120, 2002.
- R. Jalil and J. R. Nixon, “Biodegradable poly(lactic acid) and poly(lactide-co-glycolide) microcapsules: Problems associated with preparative techniques and release properties,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 297–325, 1990.
- C. H. Chang, W. Y. Huang, C. H. Lai et al., “Development of novel nanoparticles shelled with heparin for berberine delivery to treat Helicobacter pylori,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 593–603, 2011.
- L. I. N. Aihua, L. I. Hongyan, L. I. U. Yiming, and Q. I. U. Xiaohui, “Preparation and release characteristics of berberine chitosan nanoparticles in vitro,” China Pharmacy, 2007.
- Z.-H. Zhang, Y.-S. Sun, H. Pang, W. L. L. Munyendo, H.-X. Lv, and S.-L. Zhu, “Preparation and evaluation of berberine alginate beads for stomach-specific delivery,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 10347–10356, 2011.