- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 912123, 6 pages
Cognition, Behavior, and Respiratory Function in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Department of Neurology, An ALS Association Certified Center, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Suite 1801, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Received 29 March 2012; Accepted 28 April 2012
Academic Editors: G. Auburger and D. Mathieu
Copyright © 2012 Adriana M. Strutt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Strong, G. M. Grace, M. Freedman et al., “Consensus criteria for the diagnosis of frontotemporal cognitive and behavioural syndromes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 131–146, 2009.
- G. M. Ringholz and S. R. Greene, “The relationship between amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia,” Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 387–392, 2006.
- C. Lomen-Hoerth, J. Murphy, S. Langmore, J. H. Kramer, R. K. Olney, and B. Miller, “Are amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients cognitively normal?” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 7, pp. 1094–1097, 2003.
- J. Phukan, N. P. Pender, and O. Hardiman, “Cognitive impairment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 994–1003, 2007.
- G. M. Ringholz, S. H. Appel, M. Bradshaw, N. A. Cooke, D. M. Mosnik, and P. E. Schulz, “Prevalence and patterns of cognitive impairment in sporadic ALS,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 586–590, 2005.
- D. Rottig, B. Leplow, K. Eger, A. C. Ludolph, M. Graf, and S. Zierz, “Only subtle cognitive deficits in non-bulbar amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 333–339, 2006.
- S. Abrahams, P. N. Leigh, and L. H. Goldstein, “Cognitive change in ALS: a prospective study,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 1222–1226, 2005.
- G. A. Rippon, N. Scarmeas, P. H. Gordon et al., “An observational study of cognitive impairment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 345–352, 2006.
- J. M. Murphy, R. G. Henry, S. Langmore, J. H. Kramer, B. L. Miller, and C. Lomen-Hoerth, “Continuum of frontal lobe impairment in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 530–534, 2007.
- D. W. Beebe and D. Gozal, “Obstructive sleep apnea and the prefrontal cortex: towards a comprehensive model linking nocturnal upper airway obstruction to daytime cognitive and behavioral deficits,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 2002.
- T. Ogawa, H. Tanaka, and K. Hirata, “Cognitive deficits in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis evaluated by event-related potentials,” Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 120, no. 4, pp. 659–664, 2009.
- I. C. Newsom-Davis, R. A. Lyall, P. N. Leigh, J. Moxham, and L. H. Goldstein, “The effect of non-invasive positive pressure ventilation (NIPPV) on cognitive function in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): a prospective study,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 482–487, 2001.
- K. Kimura, N. Tachibana, J. Kimura, and H. Shibasaki, “Sleep-disordered breathing at an early stage of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 37–43, 1999.
- L. S. Aboussouan and R. A. Lewis, “Sleep, respiration and ALS,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 164, no. 1, pp. 1–2, 1999.
- H. Schreiber, T. Gaigalat, U. Wiedemuth-Catrinescu et al., “Cognitive function in bulbar-and spinal-onset amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a longitudinal study in 52 patients,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 252, no. 7, pp. 772–781, 2005.
- C. Heffernan, C. Jenkinson, T. Holmes et al., “Management of respiration in MND/ALS patients: an evidence based review,” Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 5–15, 2006.
- S. M. Kim, K. M. Lee, Y. H. Hong et al., “Relation between cognitive dysfunction and reduced vital capacity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1387–1389, 2007.
- B. R. Brooks, R. G. Miller, M. Swash, and T. L. Munsat, “El Escorial revisited: revised criteria for the diagnosis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,” Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 293–299, 2000.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, and P. R. McHugh, “‘Mini mental state’. A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician,” Journal of Psychiatric Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 189–198, 1975.
- D. Wechsler, Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale-III, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1997.
- R. M. Reitan, Trail Making Test: Manual for Administration and Scoring, Reitan Neuropsychological Laboratory, Tucson, Ariz, USA, 1992.
- R. K. Mahurin and N. Cooke, “Verbal series attention test: clinical utility in the assessment of dementia,” Clinical Neuropsychologist, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 43–53, 1996.
- M. Schmidt, et al., Rey Auditory and Verbal Learning Test: A Handbook, Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, Calif, USA, 1996.
- R. Benedict, Brief Visuospatial Memory Test-Revised, Psychological Assessment Resources, Odessa, Fla, USA, 1997.
- E. F. Kaplan, H. Goodglass, and S. Weintraub, The Boston Naming Test, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2001.
- R. K. Heaton, S. W. Miller, M. J. Taylor, and I. Grant, Revised Comprehensive Norms for an Expanded Halstead-Reitan Battery: Demographically Adjusted Norms for African American and Caucasian Adults, Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, Fla, USA, 2004.
- J. A. Knight and E. Kaplan, The Handbook of Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure Usage: Clinical and Research Applications, Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, Fla, USA, 2003.
- S. K. Kongs, L. L. Thompson, G. L. Iverson, and R. K. Heaton, Wisconsin Card Sorting Test-64 Card Version: Professional Manual, Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, Fla, USA, 2000.
- A. T. Beck, R. A. Steer, and G. K. Brown, Beck Depression Inventory-II, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1996.
- A. T. Beck, Beck Anxiety Inventory, Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA, 1993.
- J. Grace and P. F. Malloy, Frontal Systems Behavior Scale, Psychological Assessment Resources, Lutz, Fla, USA, 2001.
- J. M. Cedarbaum, N. Stambler, E. Malta et al., “The ALSFRS-R: a revised ALS functional rating scale that incorporates assessments of respiratory function,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 169, no. 1-2, pp. 13–21, 1999, BDNF ALS Study Group (Phase III).
- E. Goldberg, The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 2001.
- C. Feuerstein, B. Naëgelé, J. L. Pépin, and P. Lévy, “Frontal lobe-related cognitive functions in patients with sleep apnea syndrome before and after treatment,” Acta Neurologica Belgica, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 96–107, 1997.
- B. Naëgelé, J. L. Pépin, P. Levy, C. Bonnet, J. Pellat, and C. Feuerstein, “Cognitive executive dysfunction in patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) after CPAP treatment,” Sleep, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 392–397, 1998.