- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 303790, 7 pages
Counselling for Patients and Family Members: A Follow-Up Study in the Emergency Department
1Nursing Science, Research Collegium, School of Health Sciences, University of Tampere, Etelä-Pohjanmaa Hospital District, 33014 Tampere, Finland
2Nursing Science, School of Health Sciences, University of Tampere, Seinäjoki University of Applied Sciences, 33014 Tampere, Finland
3Nursing Science, School of Health Sciences, University of Tampere, Etelä-Pohjanmaa Hospital District, 33014 Tampere, Finland
Received 31 May 2012; Accepted 18 July 2012
Academic Editors: B. Mandleco and D. Whitehead
Copyright © 2012 Eija Paavilainen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Anderson and M. M. Funnell, “Patient empowerment: reflections on the challenge of fostering the adoption of a new paradigm,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 153–157, 2005.
- C. Elmqvist, B. Fridlund, and M. Ekebergh, “More than medical treatment: the patient's first encounter with prehospital emergency care,” International Emergency Nursing, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 185–192, 2008.
- H. Leino-Kilpi, “Editorial Comment. Self-care and empowerment of individuals and populations,” Nursing Ethics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 265–266, 2009.
- E. Britt, S. M. Hudson, and N. M. Blampied, “Motivational interviewing in health settings: a review,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 147–155, 2004.
- A. C. Eldh, M. Ehnfors, and I. Ekman, “The phenomena of participation and non-participation in health care-experiences of patients attending a nurse-led clinic for chronic heart failure,” European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 239–246, 2004.
- J. Hubley, “Patient education in the developing world—a discipline comes of age,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 161–164, 2006.
- M. Stevens, I. H. F. Reininga, N. A. D. Boss, and J. R. Van Horn, “Patient satisfaction at and after discharge. Effect of a time lag,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 241–245, 2006.
- M. R. Lynn, B. J. McMillen, and S. Sidani, “Understanding and measuring patients' assessment of the quality of nursing care,” Nursing Research, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 159–166, 2007.
- D. Brown, C. McWilliam, and C. Ward-Griffin, “Client-centred empowering partnering in nursing,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 160–168, 2006.
- A. Kitson, “Towards evidence-based quality improvement: perspectives from nursing practice,” International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 459–464, 2000.
- P. Glasziou and B. Haynes, “The paths from research to improved health outcomes,” Evidence-Based Nursing, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 36–38, 2005.
- G. K. Chan, S. Barnason, C. L. Dakin et al., “Barriers and perceived needs for understanding and using research among emergency nurses,” Journal of Emergency Nursing, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 24–31, 2011.
- L. Nykiel, R. Denicke, R. Schneider et al., “Evidence-based practice and family presence: paving the path for bedside nurse scientists,” Journal of Emergency Nursing, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2011.
- M. Salminen-Tuomaala, S. Kurikka, K. Korkiamäki, and E. Paavilainen, “Potilaan saattajien ohjauksen tarve päivystyspoliklinikalla (English Abstract: patients “family members” experiences about councelling at ED),” Hoitotiede: Finnish Journal of Nursing Science, vol. 5, pp. 258–266, 2008.
- E. Paavilainen and M. Salminen-Tuomaala, “Web-based learning for continuing nursing education of emergency unit staff,” Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 159–163, 2010.
- J. Levesque, E. R. Bogoch, B. Cooney, B. Johnston, and J. G. Wright, “Improving patient satisfaction with time spent in an orthopedic outpatient clinic,” Canadian Journal of Surgery, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 431–436, 2000.
- J. W. Y. Chung, T. K. S. Wong, and A. C. P. Yeung, “Non-attendance at an orthopaedic and trauma specialist outpatient department of a regional hospital,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 362–367, 2004.
- E. Paavilainen, M. Salminen-Tuomaala, S. Kurikka, and P. Paussu, “Experiences of counselling in the emergency department during the waiting period: importance of family participation,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 18, no. 15, pp. 2217–2224, 2009.
- G. Nilsson, S. Larsson, F. Johnsson, and B. I. Saveman, “Patients' experiences of illness, operation and outcome with reference to gastro-oesophageal reflux disease,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 307–315, 2002.
- K. Roberts, “Exploring participation: older people on discharge from hospital,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 413–420, 2002.
- S. Wellard, J. Lillibridge, C. Beanland, and M. Lewis, “Consumer participation in acute care settings: an Australian experience,” International Journal of Nursing Practice, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 255–260, 2003.
- J. Smith and C. Liles, “Information needs before hospital discharge of myocardial infarction patients: a comparative, descriptive study,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 662–671, 2007.
- E. Efraimsson, P. O. Sandman, L. C. Hydén, and B. H. Rasmussen, “Discharge planning: “Fooling ourselves?”—patient participation in conferences,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 562–570, 2004.
- E. Wiman and K. Wikblad, “Caring and uncaring encounters in nursing in an emergency department,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 422–429, 2004.
- M. L. Merriman, “Pre-hospital discharge planning: empowering elderly patients through choice,” Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 52–58, 2008.
- H. Hopia, P. S. Tomlinson, E. Paavilainen, and P. Åstedt-Kurki, “Child in hospital: family experiences and expectations of how nurses can promote family health,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 212–222, 2005.
- T. C. Skinner and S. Cradock, “Empowerment: what about the evidence?” Practical Diabetes International, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 91–95, 2000.
- J. T. Best, “Effective teaching for the elderly: back to basics,” Orthopaedic Nursing, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 46–52, 2001.
- M. J. Bull and J. Roberts, “Components of a proper hospital discharge for elders,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 571–581, 2001.
- A. Atwal, “Nurses' perceptions of discharge planning in acute health care: a case study in one British teaching hospital,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 450–458, 2002.
- E. Jangland, L. Gunningberg, and M. Carlsson, “Patients' and relatives' complaints about encounters and communication in health care: evidence for quality improvement,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 199–204, 2009.
- R. Kontio, M. Lahti, A. Pitkänen et al., “Impact of eLearning course on nurses' professional competence in seclusion and restraint practices: a randomized controlled study (ISRCTN32869544),” Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 813–821, 2011.
- E. D. Boudreaux and E. L. O'Hea, “Patient satisfaction in the Emergency Department: a review of the literature and implications for practice,” Journal of Emergency Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 13–26, 2004.
- A. Ekwall, M. Gerdtz, and E. Manias, “The influence of patient acuity on satisfaction with emergency care: perspectives of family, friends and carers,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 800–809, 2008.
- A. Ekwall, M. Gerdtz, and E. Manias, “Anxiety as a factor influencing satisfaction with emergency department care: perspectives of accompanying persons,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 18, no. 24, pp. 3489–3497, 2009.
- M. Poskiparta, T. Kettunen, and L. Liimatainen, “Questioning and advising in health counselling: results from a study of Finnish nurse counsellors,” Health Education Journal, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 47–67, 2000.
- Å. Muntlin, L. Gunningberg, and M. Carlsson, “Patients' perceptions of quality of care at an emergency department and identification of areas for quality improvement,” Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 1045–1056, 2006.
- N. Burns and S. Grove, The Practice of Nursing Research, Saunders, Philadephia, Pa, USA, 2008.