- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Submit a Manuscript
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 430560, 8 pages
Communication Training Improves Sense of Performance Expectancy of Public Health Nurses Engaged in Long-Term Elderly Prevention Care Program
1Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
2Department of Rehabilitation, Faculty of Health Science, Tohoku Fukushi University, Sendai 981-8522, Japan
3Division of Epidemiology, Department of Public Health and Forensic Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
4Department of Rehabilitation Engineering, Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8575, Japan
Received 22 August 2012; Accepted 19 October 2012
Academic Editors: M.-A. Choe and D. Whitehead
Copyright © 2012 Motoko Tanabe et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Huppertz, “Predicting health plan member retention from satisfaction surveys: the moderating role of intention and complaint voicing,” Health Marketing Quarterly, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 383–404, 2008.
- T. Tsutsui and N. Muramatsu, “Care-needs certification in the long-term care insurance system of Japan,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 522–527, 2005.
- T. Tsutsui and N. Muramatsu, “Japan's universal long-term care system reform of 2005: containing costs and realizing a vision,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1458–1463, 2007.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan, “Kaigo Yobo Project Report in 2006,” 2012, http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/2008/04/tp0411-2.html.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Japan, “Report of municipality long term care insurance system for prevention of long-term care,” 2012, http://www.mhlw.go.jp/topics/2005/10/tp1027-1.html.
- J. Wake, M. Asai, Y. Wake, et al., “The care service recognition and the use intention of the senior citizen after five years the long-term care insurance implementation,” Journal of Health and Welfare Statistics, vol. 54, no. 15, pp. 1–8, 2007 (Japanese).
- I. Tsuji, Aim and Strategy of Prevention of Long-Term Care, Shakaihokenkenkyuzyo, Tokyo, Japan, 2006.
- E. L. Y. Wong, M. C. M. Leung, A. W. L. Cheung, C. H. K. Yam, E. K. Yeoh, and S. Griffiths, “A population-based survey using PPE-15: relationship of care aspects to patient satisfaction in Hong Kong,” International Journal for Quality in Health Care, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 390–396, 2011.
- E. Aronson and J. M. Carlsmith, “Performance expectancy as a determinant of actual performance,” Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 178–182, 1962.
- M. J. Vale, M. V. Jelinek, J. D. Best et al., “Coaching patients on achieving cardiovascular health (COACH): a multicenter randomized trial in patients with coronary heart disease,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 163, no. 22, pp. 2775–2783, 2003.
- D. Kalauokalani, P. Franks, J. W. Oliver, F. J. Meyers, and R. L. Kravitz, “Can patient coaching reduce racial/ethnic disparities in cancer pain control? Secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial,” Pain Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 17–24, 2007.
- C. C. Johnston, A. Gagnon, J. Rennick et al., “One-on-One coaching to improve pain assessment and management practices of pediatric nurses,” Journal of Pediatric Nursing, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 467–478, 2007.
- O. Brook, H. van Hout, H. Nieuwenhuyse, and E. Heerdink, “Impact of coaching by community pharmacists on drug attitude of depressive primary care patients and acceptability to patients; a randomized controlled trial,” European Neuropsychopharmacology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2003.
- W. B. Brinkman, S. R. Geraghty, B. P. Lanphear et al., “Effect of multisource feedback on resident communication skills and professionalism: a randomized controlled trial,” Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 44–49, 2007.
- S. I. Izumi, K. Ando, M. Ono, Y. Suzukamo, A. Michimata, and S. Fukuhara, “Effect of coaching on psychological adjustment in patients with spinocerebellar degeneration: a pilot study,” Clinical Rehabilitation, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 987–996, 2007.
- A. Hayashi, M. Kayama, K. Ando et al., “Analysis of subjective evaluations of the functions of tele-coaching intervention in patients with spinocerebellar degeneration,” NeuroRehabilitation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 159–169, 2008.
- J. A. Bennett, N. A. Perrin, G. Hanson et al., “Healthy aging demonstration project: nurse coaching for behavior change in older adults,” Research in Nursing & Health, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 187–197, 2005.
- D. B. Swanson, G. D. Webster, and N. JJ, “Precision of patient's rating of resident's humanistic qualities: how many items and patients are patients are enough,” in Proceedings of the the 3rd Ottawa Conference on Assessment of Clinical Competence, 1990.
- Japan Coach Association, “Coaching Skills Evaluation System,” 2012, http://www.coach.or.jp/cses/index.html.
- J. Ammentorp, S. Sabroe, P. E. Kofoed, and J. Mainz, “The effect of training in communication skills on medical doctors' and nurses' self-efficacy. A randomized controlled trial,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 270–277, 2007.
- P. Arranz, S. M. Ulla, J. L. Ramos, C. Del Rincón, and T. López-Fando, “Evaluation of a counseling training program for nursing staff,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 233–239, 2005.
- M. Yamagishi, T. Kobayashi, M. Nagami, T. Kobayashi, A. Shimazu, and T. Kageyama, “Effect of web-based assertion training for stress management of Japanese nurses,” Journal of Nursing Management, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 603–607, 2007.
- W. M. C. M. Caris-Verhallen, A. Kerkstra, J. M. Bensing, and M. H. F. Grypdonck, “Effects of video interaction analysis training on nurse-patient communication in the care of the elderly,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 2000.
- N. Brodin, E. Eurenius, I. Jensen et al., “Coaching patients with early rheumatoid arthritis to healthy physical activity: a multicenter, randomized, controlled study,” Arthritis Care & Research, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 325–331, 2008.
- M. J. Allison and C. Keller, “Self-efficacy intervention effect on physical activity in older adults,” Western Journal of Nursing Research, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 31–46, 2004.
- V. Shilling, V. Jenkins, and L. Fallowfield, “Factors affecting patient and clinician satisfaction with the clinical consultation: can communication skills training for clinicians improve satisfaction?” Psycho-Oncology, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 599–611, 2003.
- N. Edwards, W. E. Peterson, and B. L. Davies, “Evaluation of a multiple component intervention to support the implementation of a ‘Therapeutic Relationships’ best practice guideline on nurses' communication skills,” Patient Education and Counseling, vol. 63, no. 1-2, pp. 3–11, 2006.
- L. García De Lucio, F. J. García López, M. T. Marín López, B. Mas Hesse, and M. D. Caamaño Vaz, “Training programme in techniques of self-control and communication skills to improve nurses' relationships with relatives of seriously ill patients: a randomized controlled study,” Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 425–431, 2000.